Matrix Symbolic Differentiation

Mark Yeatman

Jun 7, 2017, 5:45:39 PM6/7/17
to sympy
I've been digging around trying to figure out the best way to do symbolic matrix differentiation in Sympy. From what, I've read it seems that it exists some what.
The functionality I'm looking for is:

from sympy import MatrixSymbol, Matrix
M = MatrixSymbol('M',2,2)
q = dynamicsymbols('q')

then I'd like to be able to specify that M is a function of q , and then take the total derivative of M with respect to t to get

d(M)/dt = partial(M,q)*partial(q,t) + partial(M,t)

Does this already exist, or not?

Thanks!

Aaron Meurer

Jun 7, 2017, 5:57:01 PM6/7/17