Code Jams - What should we do about people preparing to attend?

cammanderson

Nov 5, 2011, 8:10:30 PM11/5/11
to Symfony2 Melbourne
Hi Guys,

We are up to our fourth code jam now, and while we are learning a lot
about the best format etc - we always encounter the scenario that
people haven't got their environment setup and ready for development.
So far it has happened maybe 5-6 times, creating a bit of frustration
for those who can't get it running and get the benefit out of getting
involved in some code.

It has been suggested once or twice about having an ubuntu image
available to run in either virtualbox (free) or other product (like
vmware). When I did my Zend and MagentoU courses both provided us with
a environment to run our lessons from. My hesitation is that it can
get fiddly between screen-res, clipboard and sharing filesystem
components between them. It also on average takes about an hour for
people to setup.

The other way we could do it is to simply outline with some really
good documentation about getting WAMP and MAMP environment running
with the suitable dependencies and some of the common CLI
configuration (e.g. setting date/timezone, installing PHPUnit for
testing, etc).

Has anyone got any thoughts or would be prepared to help us out with
some material that could be given to people in advance of the event to
get their environment up and running for Symfony2 development?

Thanks!
Cheers
Cam

drew khoury

Nov 6, 2011, 8:23:42 PM11/6/11
to symfony2-...@googlegroups.com
If you're on a mac, then once you setup a VM you can just SSH into it, so you shouldn't have to spent any time in the actual VM.

I still have to get my environment ready so it'l be interesting to see how far I get =p

Kate Lanyon

Nov 17, 2011, 7:28:45 AM11/17/11
to symfony2-...@googlegroups.com
I found this info really helpful when I had to set up my mac http://justinhileman.info/article/reinstalling-php-53-on-mac-os-x/

I might be a hard arse here but I don't think its too much to ask for people to have at least downloaded symfony2 and make sure its running before attending a user group...