Who's who

Colin Chambers

Feb 9, 2011, 4:00:41 AM2/9/11
to symbiotic...@googlegroups.com
A few people have mentioned they'd like to know a little about everyone in the group. Their background, interests, what they want to get out of the group, what they can add. That kind of stuff.

A few of us have described this in other threads but we don't have one space reserved for it. Particularly for newbies joining the group trying to get up to speed. I'd prefer an editable document elsewhere but google groups doesn't really provide that. So a new thread will work for now.

I'll start.

I'm Colin Chambers. I work at The Open University (OU) in the UK.  I'm fascinated by biology and the study of human excellence. My background is in PE, Sports science and management. So I love sports and gaming plus learning and teaching. I work as a technical developer working on the OU's Moodle based Virtual learning environment. So I'm actually a techie.

Given this background you can see I want to develop tools and applications that help learning and teaching using the strengths of sports and gaming wherever possible. Ideally these tools will help investigate the human body and teach us how to use our gifts well in the pursuit of excellence.

Maria Droujkova

Feb 9, 2011, 9:39:30 AM2/9/11
to symbiotic...@googlegroups.com
This is a good time to start a wiki or a Gameful group or a Posterous group or some other depository. Wikispaces is pretty easy. Then you can link it from the Welcome message and the front page message in the Google Group.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Colin Chambers

Feb 9, 2011, 10:11:54 AM2/9/11
to symbiotic...@googlegroups.com
thanks maria. I have an aversion to wiki's for a bunch of reasons. So I've gone with my original plan to use an open google doc like a wiki. Maybe it's a silly way of going but I like to experiment. Let's see how it works.

i've added a link to the who's who to the home page

KevinDV

Feb 27, 2011, 5:32:20 PM2/27/11
to symbiotic...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

My name is Kevin DiVico.

I like to say thank you to Thys for the invitation to join this group.  It is a honor to be asked to contribute to such amazing work.

I am a entrepreneur with a variety of backgrounds, I started out in theater back in the Seventies, did sound design and engineering in NYC during the Eighties, then did a tour of duty with Military Intelligence, I have senior Strategic management experience (CEO) from my time in Gaming and in  virtual worlds (During which I help develop a educational space in Second Life). I have a love for Science, Maths, technology, Humanities from my childhood that is still with me today.  I am currently working on a couple of projects that fall in the realm of social Entrepreneurship as well as a couple of inventions kicking around in development.  I am volunteering at my local hackerspace helping them develop social/trans media presence - have a deep interest in distributed fabrication (cupcakes, rerap, shopbots,etc)  and the maker movement. I am preparing a art proposal that works with the Internet of things to inform people of the health of the planet.

 I am a World bank social inventor, I am a certified CERT member (Community Emergency Response team), A graduate of the Entrepreneurship ten course, I have a certificate of Award from the department of Treasury (USA) and I believe in Open education (example MIT , Khan Academy, Udemy)

I love learning & disruptive technology  - I have a wide array of interests (Martial arts, Philosophy, Transhumanism, Plays, Keeping fit)   and read ...a lot (lol) (can heartily recommend The windup girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (Temuras you so need to read this one) and Steven Johnson's latest book on Innovation! good works both )  - you can find my current list on Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/)  (currently updating it with all I have read) .   I also act as a caregiver for my mother & 83 yr old neighbor.

I am believe we are currently living in a  time when we have more control over our and the planets evolutionary course then ever before and if we do not strive to create a stable future, we will be living in someone else's version of it and they may not be as kind. I also follow complexity science as it relates to resiliency.  I know we are have entered a time of change, and I hope to contribute to making the transition from 20th century expansion modality's to 21st century resilience modality's as easy as possible while preserving civilization past the current array of possible extinction level events.  Did I mention I like zeppelins?

Oh and I want to make a holographic globe thats Smart deice with communication as well as geographic, political and other atlas databases.

Please feel free to ask any questions of me, and if I don't know the answer I will at least be entertaining.

Thank you again for having me.

Dr. TR. Rojas-D

Feb 28, 2011, 5:56:19 AM2/28/11
to symbiotic...@googlegroups.com