Microsoft Word Err=1120; There is a printer error

Jace Greenman

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

I am getting the above-noted error message that I've seen others post
before.

If the Winfax printer is named "Winfax", everything works fine. But I
have some other software that requires me to name it something else.
I've chosen the name "Winfax1". When the printer is named "Winfax1", I
get the error.

Response that I've seen to this problem typically include suggestions
to:

1. make sure there is a default printer selected
2. make sure the winfax printer driver is present
3. verify the WinFax printer port settings
4. make sure the user is running 32-bit apps in order to
properly take advantage of the Winfax 32-bit printer driver
(NT 4.0 only).

I am running NT workstation 4.0 and believe there are only 32-bit apps
involved (e.g. Winfax 8.03, MS Word 97 SR-1). I uninstalled the Winfax
macros to eliminate them as the cause.

So I think there must be another answer.

Here are the steps I take:

1. Right click on the controller and select "Send A Fax".
"WinFax PRO Send" dialog appears.

2. Enter bogus phone number of "123" in "Number" field (we're not realy
sending this).

3. Press "Attach" button.
"Select Attachments" dialog appears.

4. Press "Attach file" button.
"Select Attachment Files" dialog appears.

5. Select an MS Word 97 document and press "Open".
"Select Attachment Files" dialog closes.

6. Press "OK" in "Select Attachments" dialog.
"Select Attachments" dialog closes.

7. Press "Send" in "WinFax PRO Send" dialog.
"Creating Attachment Image" dialog appears containing the message:
"The selected attachment is being converted into a fax image"

Moments later MS Word posts a box entitled "Microsoft Word Err=1120"
displaying the message "There is a printer error".

When I press the OK button and then hit "Debug", Microsoft Visual Basic
opens in module WordTmpDDEMod. Here is the entire module:

Sub TmpDDE()

WordBasic.FileOpen "D:\Everyware\Resumes\Bank\Arthur Gerson.doc"
* WordBasic.FilePrintSetup "WinFax on p", DoNotSetAsSysDefault:=1
WordBasic.FilePrint 0
WordBasic.FileExit 2
End Sub

The star, '*', indicates the line that Word has highlighted in the
debugger. The argument "Winfax on p" looks wrong, but I don't know where
it's coming from. Perhaps it should read "Winfax1 on p". but where is
the source value for me to change it?

| Jace Greenman | email: ja...@everywareinc.com |
| Everyware Incorporated | voice: (703) 698-0122 |
| Technical Recruiting & Consulting | fax: (703) 698-0190 |

Charles Mandeville [Symantec]

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Jace,

If you have renamed the printer you would need to modify the macro to
reflect the new printer name. A workaround for this may be to make another
instance of the Printer with the name WinFax. To do this you should be able
to make a copy of the current driver in the Printers group and rename it
WinFax.

Regards,

Charles Mandeville
Senior Product Support Analyst - On-Line Services
Symantec Corporation
WinFax PRO 8.x/WinFax NT Support

Charles Mandeville [Symantec]

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98