Trouble sending

Dwight

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Configuration Information:
Network: --None--

I had absolutely no problems with WinfaxPro 8.0 when running office
95. I installed Office 97 and I lost my printer driver. After going
through the technical support gauntlet with no help, I finally found
my answer to the driver issue on this board. My problem now is when I
try and send a fax, nothing happens! Nothing, no error code or
anything. I go to the send log and click on the "default" folder and
I get a "fax failed" message. What could this be? My modem is working
fine with my ISP.

Thanks

Dwight

Samuel Carboni

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

On 26 Mar 1998 16:55:13 GMT, Dwight <DBro...@aol.com> wrote:

|| I had absolutely no problems with WinfaxPro 8.0 when running office
|| 95. I installed Office 97 and I lost my printer driver. After going
|| through the technical support gauntlet with no help, I finally found
|| my answer to the driver issue on this board. My problem now is when I
|| try and send a fax, nothing happens! Nothing, no error code or
|| anything. I go to the send log and click on the "default" folder and
|| I get a "fax failed" message. What could this be? My modem is working
|| fine with my ISP.
|| Thanks
|| Dwight

Hi Dwight,

It could be a modem configuration problem you are experiencing
here. In the Winfax Pro program, go to the SETUP-->MODEM menu item
and check the "Active Modem" parameter. Make sure the fax modem
Winfax is to use is listed there. If not, you can use the drop down
arrow to the right of it to make it so. Then "Apply" and "Ok" your
changes. The modem configuration wizard may appear, asking you to
configure the modem. Just follow it through and it will configure the
modem for Winfax.

Thanks for posting,
Samuel Carboni
Symantec Technical Support

Dwight Broeman

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

> Hi Dwight,
>
> It could be a modem configuration problem you are experiencing
> here. In the Winfax Pro program, go to the SETUP-->MODEM menu item
> and check the "Active Modem" parameter. Make sure the fax modem
> Winfax is to use is listed there. If not, you can use the drop down
> arrow to the right of it to make it so. Then "Apply" and "Ok" your
> changes. The modem configuration wizard may appear, asking you to
> configure the modem. Just follow it through and it will configure the
> modem for Winfax.
>
> Thanks for posting,
> Samuel Carboni
> Symantec Technical Support

Samuel

Thank you for your prompt reply. I reconfigured my modem by running
the deltest.exe. I was able to find out how to do this from another
technical support representative's post. I did this and I am having
the same problem. When I started WinfaxPro 8.0 the last time while
attempting to look at my modem setup per your latest instructions, I
received the following error message:

The following error occurred when attempting to open a folder.
"call failed"
One or more files for that log database are missing.

As far as I can tell, my modem is configured correctly. I still have
the same problem. When I create a fax and hit send, absolutely
nothing happens.

Thanks Dwight

Samuel Carboni

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

On 26 Mar 1998 18:14:34 GMT, Dwight Broeman <DBro...@aol.com> wrote:

|| Samuel
|| Thank you for your prompt reply. I reconfigured my modem by running
|| the deltest.exe. I was able to find out how to do this from another
|| technical support representative's post. I did this and I am having
|| the same problem. When I started WinfaxPro 8.0 the last time while
|| attempting to look at my modem setup per your latest instructions, I
|| received the following error message:
|| The following error occurred when attempting to open a folder.
|| "call failed"
|| One or more files for that log database are missing.
|| As far as I can tell, my modem is configured correctly. I still have
|| the same problem. When I create a fax and hit send, absolutely
|| nothing happens.
|| Thanks Dwight

Dwight,

A 'call failed' message? Got it. Your logs are slightly
corrupted. Winfax Pro seems to be able to get the fax in there but
can't get it "back out" again to send it to the communications channel
to put it on its way to the modem.

Luckily, we have a utility to repair your logs. Here, give
this a try:
/------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
Shut down the controller:
1. After exiting winfax, press the CTRL, ALT, and DEL keys at the
same time.
2. A "Close Program" dialog box appears. Highlight the WFXCTL32
entry and click on the END TASK button.
3. Make sure that WFXCTL32 is gone from the list by reobtaining the
CTRL, ALT, DEL keys again.
4. If it is gone go back to step 2, otherwise the controller is gone,
and continue with the repair utility, delfix.

DELFIX:
1. Click on START, RUN
2. Type the full path name where DELFIX.EXE is located. For
example,
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DELRINA\WINFAX\DELFIX.EXE
3. Click OK.
4. The DELFIX dialog box appears. Locate the file STATUS.WFB
(usually found
in the WINFAX\DATA directory). Click OPEN.
5. DELFIX will now try to repair the log file.

Using DELFIX to repair & rebuild the log files.

If you still experience problems with the log files are running
DELFIX. You can also try the "-rebuild" option to completely rebuild

the log file structure. Repeat steps 1 through 5 above. You will
need to
add the "-rebuild" parameter to the Run line. For example,

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\DELRINA\WINFAX\DELFIX.EXE" -REBUILD

Note: You will have to enclose the path to DELFIX.EXE in quotes
followed by -REBUILD.
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Good luck - this should do the trick,

Dwight

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:01:05 GMT, scar...@symantec.com (Samuel
Carboni) wrote:
> On 26 Mar 1998 18:14:34 GMT, Dwight Broeman wrote:

Thanks again Samuel

I think that we might be getting somewhere. I got to the point of
finding the STATUS.WEB file. This file does not exist on my hard
drive. LOL..what do I do now?

Best Regards and thanks

Dwight

Samuel Carboni

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Dwight,

That was a STATUS.WFB (not WEB) file. If that was just a typo
and you really meant you do not have a STATUS.WFB file then you'll
have to delete the STATUS*.* files that are located in your
\WINFAX\DATA folder.

Hope that helps,

JC Elliott

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On 26 Mar 1998 16:55:13 GMT, Dwight <DBro...@aol.com> wrote:
> Configuration Information:
> Network: --None--
>
> I had absolutely no problems with WinfaxPro 8.0 when running office
> 95. I installed Office 97 and I lost my printer driver. After going
> through the technical support gauntlet with no help, I finally found
> my answer to the driver issue on this board. My problem now is when I

Could you send me the solution you'd got? My boss has had a similar
problem (can no longer fax - "Printer" missing) and I've ALSO had a
HORRENDOUS!!! time wading through the so-called "automated technical
support" that kept asking the same questions (What O/S?) and citing
question categories that WEREN'T listed.....

Any & all help will be appreciated!

JC Elliott
ScotiaBank - Toronto

Samuel Carboni

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

On 2 Apr 1998 23:21:46 GMT, JC Elliott <jceb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

|| Could you send me the solution you'd got? My boss has had a similar
|| problem (can no longer fax - "Printer" missing) and I've ALSO had a
|| HORRENDOUS!!! time wading through the so-called "automated technical
|| support" that kept asking the same questions (What O/S?) and citing
|| question categories that WEREN'T listed.....
|| Any & all help will be appreciated!
|| JC Elliott
|| ScotiaBank - Toronto

Mr. Elliott,

If you are getting "Printer missing" errors then it is almost
definate that the following solution to reinstall your Winfax printer
driver will remedy the situation:

Situation:
You are missing the WinFax PRO printer driver, or it has become
corrupt and you would like to reinstall it.

If the printer driver is corrupt, you may notice any of the following
symptoms:

- you cannot print to WinFax from any application
- you cannot send attachments
- you see an error message when trying to print to WinFax or attach
files
- the Send dialog box does not appear
- the WinFax printer driver Properties dialog box shows two tabs
instead of four
- you see the Print dialog box twice, but nothing happens
- the Print dialog box flashes across the screen, but nothing happens

Solution:

The easiest way to replace the WinFax print driver is to reinstall
WinFax. Select Custom installation and install Program Files only.
You can avoid the Custom reinstallation by installing the printer
driver manually. However, there is no way to manually install the
WinFax PRO printer driver under any version of Windows NT. If you want
to manually install the printer driver under Windows 95, use the
following procedure:

The WinFax PRO printer driver requires these files to be installed in
the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory:

HFX3W3.DLL
ICONLIB.DLL
UNIDRV.DLL
UNIDRV.HLP

If either ICONLIB.DLL, UNIDRV.DLL or UNIDRV.HLP are not on the system,
select Start, Settings, Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer, and
install an HP LaserJet III printer driver.

NOTE:
If you are prompted for FINSTALL.DLL and the copy located in your
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder is not valid, look in the \DRIVERS\PRINTERS
folder of your Windows 95 CD for another copy of this file.

You will need your Windows 95 CD, disks or a copy of the Windows 95
installation files on your hard drive to do this. If an HP printer is
already installed on the system, remove it and reinstall it again.

Once the above four files are on the system, install the WinFax
printer driver.

Click Start, point to Settings, and click Printers. If the WinFax
printer driver is missing, you will not see a WinFax icon.
Double click Add Printer and click Next.
Click Local Printer and click Next.
When the printer list appears, click Have Disk.
Click Browse and select OEMSETUP.INF from the WinFax directory on your
hard drive.
Click OK. Two Delrina printers appear in the list.
Select WinFax and click Next.
Select FaxModem as the port. Click Next.
Keep the name of the Printer as WinFax. Set it as default if desired.
Click Next. There is no need to print a test page.
Printer installation may ask for the Windows 95 CD to find the file
HFX3W3.DLL. If WinFax was installed correctly before, HFX3W3.DLL can
be found in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. If you are missing
HFX3W3.DLL, reinstall WinFax: this will also reinstall the WinFax
printer.
When you are prompted for the WIN95 CD, type in the path to the
Windows system directory or use the Browse feature to locate it. You
cannot install this file from the Windows CD.

If the Printer Setup wizard asks for other files from the Windows 95
CD such as ICONLIB.DLL, you will need the actual Windows 95 CD or
disks. Select the WIN95 directory on the CD or insert the requested
diskette. These are files required for the Unidriver, which is
required for most printer drivers. If these files are not installed,
the WinFax PRO Printer driver will not work. If the Windows 95 CD or
disks are not available, you will not be able to install the WinFax
print driver until you have access to the Windows 95 installation
disks.

If the WinFax printer driver is not corrupt, try the following:

In WinFax, choose Exchange from the Setup menu. Uncheck Use Microsoft
Exchange in WinFax.
Click the Help menu and uncheck Use Send Fax Wizard. This disables the
Send Fax Wizard.
Choose Program from the Setup. Uncheck Use Partial Matches in the
Phonebook options.

Thank you for posting,

JC Elliott

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

On Fri, 03 Apr 1998 13:18:03 GMT, scar...@symantec.com (Samuel
Carboni) wrote: LOTS OF STUFF TO TRY - YEAH!!!

> On 2 Apr 1998 23:21:46 GMT, JC Elliott <jceb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> || Could you send me the solution you'd got? My boss has had a similar
> || problem (can no longer fax - "Printer" missing) and I've ALSO had a
> || HORRENDOUS!!! time wading through the so-called "automated technical
> || support" that kept asking the same questions (What O/S?) and citing
> || question categories that WEREN'T listed.....
> || Any & all help will be appreciated!
> || JC Elliott
> || ScotiaBank - Toronto
> Mr. Elliott,
>
> If you are getting "Printer missing" errors then it is almost
> definate that the following solution to reinstall your Winfax printer
> driver will remedy the situation:

Thanks for the lead! I'll let you know how I fare....

P.S.: Any thoughts on why I might have had such a TERRIBLE time with
the automated support?