Winfax pro 8.0 won't upgrade to 8.02 or 8.03???

1 view

Frank Allegro

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

I checked the news groups and there are many people with the same
problem,!!!I followed tech supports directions on the remedy with correct
install versions and also deleted the update key in the registry. I also
went into the registry and deleted all winfax entries, reinstalled winfax
pro 8.0, installed the patch to 8.01( successfully) and than went to live
update. (said I had an updated to 8.03) downloaded that and let liveupdate
to a self install...... got message " 8.0/ 8.01 not on computer and could
not upgrade??? Now What!!!!! So now I'm at version 8.01 and I am assuming
that any updates will not be installed unless a fix is found for this
problem. Thanks for any help you can give me! I hope a new update with the
fix is in the works as I and many other Symantec customers have spent
numerous hours on this problem.

Andrew B. [Symantec]

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

Frank,

Instead of running LiveUpdate, try downloading the patch file directly
from the Symantec FTP site.

1. Check Help/About in WinFax to determine which version of WinFax you
have.
2. Close all running programs, including WinFax and the WinFax PRO
Controller.
3. Download ONE of the following files, depending on which version you
currently have:

If you have WinFax 8.0 or 8.01:
ftp://ftp4.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/winfax_pro/ver8/up
dates/803patch/80to803/patch803.exe

If you have WinFax 8.02:
ftp://ftp4.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/winfax_pro/ver8/up
dates/803patch/802to803/patch803.exe

Download this file to a separate folder.

4. Double click the patch file to install the update.
5. Restart the computer after the update has completed installing.

If this fails, do the following:

Delete the Registry key that contains the LiveUpdate values.

CAUTION:
Symantec and Microsoft cannot offer technical support on their products if
any changes have been made
to the Windows Registry. A mistake could require you to reinstall Windows
and could also result in
permanent data loss or corrupted files.

We strongly encourage you to back up your system Registry before making any
changes.
Please make sure you modify only the key(s) specified. If you are not
comfortable editing the
Registry, please obtain assistance from a professional.

Back up the LiveUpdate Registry key

1. Click Start, then choose Run. If you are using Windows NT 3.51, click
File, then choose Run. The Run
dialog box appears.
2. If you are using Windows 95, type REGEDIT and click OK. The Windows 95
Registry Editor
launches.
3. If you are using Windows NT, type REGEDT32 and click OK. The Windows NT
Registry Editor
launches.
4. Browse to and highlight the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WinFaxPro

5. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File. The Export Registry
file dialog box appears.
6. In the Save In field, select Desktop. This is the default setting.
7. In the File Name field, type a name for the Registry key you are
exporting. Do not add an extension to
the end of the file name.
8. Click Save. The registry key is saved to the desktop.

NOTES:
The best way to back up the Registry in Windows NT is with the RDISK
utility. Consult your Windows
NT documentation for information on using RDISK.
To reimport a Registry key, double click the exported key on your Windows
desktop.

Remove the Update key

1. In the Registry Editor, expand the key you backed up, in this case:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WinFaxPro

2. Select Update. On your keyboard, press Delete.
3. Choose Yes to the prompt.
4. Exit the Registry Editor.
5. Run the update file again.

--

Sincerely,

Andrew B.
WinFax PRO Support Analyst,
Symantec Corporation

For additional help and information, see our other WinFax/TalkWorks support

WinFax PRO Knowledge Base:
http://service.symantec.com/winfax/kbase_winfax.html

WinFax PRO Support Genie
http://service.symantec.com/winfax/genie_winfax.html

TalkWorks Knowledge Base:
http://service.symantec.com/talkworks/kbase_talkworks.html

TalkWorks Suport Genie:
http://service.symantec.com/talkworks/genie_talkworks.html

Hilton Wolman

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

After reformatting my Hard Drive and reinstalling WinFax Pro, I'm having the
same problem. I downloaded the 8.02 and 8.03 patches but neither will
install. The 8.03 patch tells me that I don't have 8.0 or 8.01 installed.
I reinstalled from my CD and still get the same message. 8.02 patch just
doesn't run.

I looked in the registry - in the sequences folder there isn't a WinFax
entry.

Help would be appreciated
--
Hilton Wolman
hilt...@usa.net

Andrew B. [Symantec] wrote in message
<01bd3573$9e63e560$bcb9...@a.symantec.com>...

Andrew B. [Symantec]

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

Hilton,

Try uninstalling first, then deleting the main WinFax registry keys, then
reinstalling:

1. Start Windows Explorer.
2. Copy the \WINFAX\DATA folder to a different location on your
hard drive.
3. Delete the \WINFAX folder.
4. Two system registry keys must now be deleted.

CAUTION:
Symantec and Microsoft cannot offer technical support on their
products if any changes have been made to the Windows Registry. A

mistake could require you to reinstall Windows, and could also result

in permanent data loss or corrupted files.

We strongly encourage you to back up your system Registry before

making any changes. Please make sure you delete only the keys

specified. If you are not comfortable editing the Registry, please
obtain assistance from a professional.

5. Close all running programs.
6. Click Start, then choose Run. If you are using Windows NT 3.51,

click File, then choose Run. The Run dialog box appears.

7. If you are using Windows 95, type REGEDIT and click OK. The
Windows 95 Registry Editor window appears. If you are using

Windows NT, type REGEDT32 and click OK. The Windows NT

Registry Editor appears.
8. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File. The Export

Registry file dialog box appears.

9. Choose Desktop from the Save In drop-down list. This should be
the default setting.
10. In the File Name field, type a name for the backup registry file.
There is no need to add an extension to the filename.
11. Click Save. The registry is saved to the desktop.
12. Highlight and delete the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Delrina\WinFax

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Delrina\WinFax

13. Close the Registry Editor.
14. Restart Windows.
15. Reinstall WinFax.

NOTE:
To reimport the Registry, double click the exported key file on your
desktop. If all goes well, you can delete this file.

Reinstall the patch:
1. If you have WinFax 8.0 or 8.01: (click Help/About in WinFax to verify
your version)
ftp://ftp4.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/winfax_pro/ver8/up
dates/803patch/80to803/patch803.exe

If you have WinFax 8.02:
ftp://ftp4.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/winfax_pro/ver8/up
dates/803patch/802to803/patch803.exe

Download this file to a separate folder.

2. Double click the patch file to install the update.
3. Restart the computer after the update has completed installing.

Joe Rutledge

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

Andrew,
C'mon, forget the stupid "canned" answers for a problem that Symantec
screwed up on! MANY, including me are having a serious problem updating to
8.03. You need to quit the "1/2 fast" answers and get them to FIX THE
PROBLEM!!!
Sorry for the semi-flame, but your answers to numerous questions on this
issue are inadequate!

Regards,
Joe Rutledge

Frank Allegro

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

Hi I tried what you suggested in the registry,when I follow your
instructions on my machine I have
this(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WinFaxPro\8.0
\English on the right side it says "TempUpdate OX0130df59(19980121) should
I delete the Temp Update key??? than restart the computer???In previous
attempts I deleted the Update key!! It would than down load the patch8.03
and when it tried to install it, thats when I would recieve the message" 8.0
is not on the computer"???? Now what??????

Andrew B. [Symantec]

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Joe,

I agree with you that many of things I suggest seem all the same for this
general upgrade problem. Generally speaking, REGEDIT is suggested first. If
that fails, then we suggest trying to run the patch again, followed by
deleting the registry keys and reinstalling.

The solution depends on the error(s) being received. If the wrong update
file has been downloaded and installed, for example, then the full solution
is required: uninstall, registry cleanup and reinstall.

Please let me know your specific situtation in a new message thread -
thanks!

Frank Allegro

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Do I delete the Winfaxpro folder (KEY) in the registry

<01bd3639$d69d22e0$bcb9...@a.symantec.com>...
>Frank,
>
>You actually have to delete the whole key, with any branches below it:

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WinFaxPro
>

>Then reinstall WinFax 8.0 and run the 8.0 to 8.03 patch file.

Andrew B. [Symantec]

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Frank Allegro

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Frank Allegro wrote in message <6bodbu$7...@service.symantec.com>...

>Hi I tried what you suggested in the registry,when I follow your
>instructions on my machine I have

>this(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WinFaxPro\8.

Andrew B. [Symantec]

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Frank:

That is correct - delete the entire key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WINFAX PRO

Frank Allegro

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Andrew do I uninstall Winfaxpro 8.01 than delete the key( Winfaxpro) in the
Registry than reinstall 8.0 than patch to 8.01 or do I reinstall 8.0 than
apply the 8.03 patch??

Andrew B. [Symantec] wrote in message
<01bd363f$b6cd7680$bcb9...@a.symantec.com>...

Frank Allegro

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Frank Allegro wrote in message <6bq7oc$7...@service.symantec.com>...

>Andrew do I uninstall Winfaxpro 8.01 than delete the key( Winfaxpro) in the
>Registry than reinstall 8.0 than patch to 8.01 or do I reinstall 8.0 than

>apply the 8.03 patch?? Thanks!!!

Andrew B.

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Frank,

Here's the order of procedures:

1. Uninstall WinFax.
2. Delete the WinFax keys.
3. Reinstall WinFax 8.0.
4. Install the "8.0 to 8.03" patch

Frank Allegro

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Thanks Andrew!!! I will try this and let you know!!! I think that it will
work and solve the problem!!!
Andrew B. wrote in message
<01bd3667$40b86680$d0b9...@ABROOKE.SYMANTEC.COM>...

Frank Allegro

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Andrew!!! I tried every step that you have explained, and it did not work!!!
Still the same problem! I followed your instructions to the letter! Now when
I go into the Registry I don't even see a Winfax Key!! I ran the 8.01 exe
patch and that installed fine, so far,but it still won't update to 8.03?????
For some reason the update patch doesn't see the program on the system so
now what???? Regards Frank

Anese

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Same Problem here, seems they need a patch for the patch.
It causing more problems then it is worth.

Marc

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Frank Allegro wrote in message <6br16n$5...@service.symantec.com>...

I also followed the instruction to the letter. No use.

My advice to every body out there. DO NOT INSTALL anything past patch 8.01
(live update or ftp)

Takworks and most of the logs disappear. Wait until Symantec fixes this up.

Can anybody tell me what fixes/features are in 8.02/8.03 to make the upgrade
worthwhile anyway?

Marc

Andrew B.

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Frank,

I'm a bit confused at this point: you had said

"I ran the 8.01 exe patch and that installed fine"

but earlier you had said

"do I reinstall 8.0 than apply the 8.03 patch"

So I assume that you are reinstalling WinFax 8.0, then 8.01 then 8.03.
However, it is not necessary to install both patches: you would install
only the 8.0 to 8.03 patch which is at:

ftp://ftp4.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/winfax_pro/ver8/up
dates/803patch/80to803/patch803.exe

Frank Allegro

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

I installed 8.0 than tried to run the patch 8.03! The message 8.0 and 8.01
are not installed on the system came up! I than ran the 8.01 patch ( the
stand alone patch)and that installed fine!!! What I am saying is that the
program patch (8.01) see's Winfax pro on the computer,the 8.02 and the 8.03
patch does'nt see it!!!!

Frank Allegro

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Andrew!!! I installed the 8.01 patch only to see if the patch (8.01) would
see the program and it did!! I know to patch from 8.0 or 8.01to 8.03!!! I've
been screwing with this crap for over a week now on my own until I found
you, kind enough to help me, and I do apprieciate it!!! But I stll have the
same problem... Can't upgrade the program... to 8.03!!!!!

Andrew B.

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Frank,

Sorry you are having so many problems on what should be a very simple
operation. I completely appreciate your frustration at getting the install
to work.

First, please verify that after you have uninstalled, you have deleted at
least the following three keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Delrina\WinFax
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Delrina\WinFax

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Sequences\WinFaxPro

If so, then one more thing to try after uninstalling and deleting these
keys is:

1. Backup the WinFax\Data folder to another location on your hard drive.
2. Delete the \Symantec\WinFax folder completely.
3. Reinstall WinFax 8.0 to a slightly different location, i.e. \WinFax8
instead of just \WinFax.
4. Download and install the 8.0 to 8.03 patch file.

If it works, copy the Data folder back to restore your data. This will
rewrite the new Data folder which you don't need.

Let me know how it goes.

Frank Allegro

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Frank Allegro

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Hi! Andrew, I have not tried the deletion of the delrina keys, I will try
this method and get back to you , again !! Thanks for the help. Regards
Frank........

Michael Kenward

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Did you search for the "Winfax" key in the registry? It may not be
quite where the support guys say it is, depending on when you got into
Winfax. (I had a version 7 key that had to go.)

Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.01 is a bad idea. You may have to start all
over again to get to 8.03.

Did you get the right .0 to 0.03 patch? If you start from scratch the
.02->.03 jump won't work.

This upgrade is a bugger isn't it?

MK

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:07:50 -0700, Frank Allegro wrote, among other
things:

>Andrew!!! I tried every step that you have explained, and it did not work!!!
>Still the same problem! I followed your instructions to the letter! Now when
>I go into the Registry I don't even see a Winfax Key!! I ran the 8.01 exe
>patch and that installed fine, so far,but it still won't update to 8.03?????
>For some reason the update patch doesn't see the program on the system so
>now what???? Regards Frank

Michael Kenward OBE / Phone: +44 (0)1444 400568 Fax: (0)1444 401064
Science Writer & / Proper e-mail address available on request
Editorial Consultant/ Say no to junk e-mail

Frank Allegro

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Hi Andrew!!! Well if finally worked!!!! I don't know if was the Delrina
keys? or the renaming of the WinFax folder to WinFax8, but I went step by
step as you have said and it worked!!! I think it was the delrina keys
because I never deleted those before!!! Thanks again Andrew!!!! Regards
Frank

Andrew B.