Listening to 433MHz garage door openner

Aidan Samuel

Mar 21, 2018, 1:23:18 AM3/21/18
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I've been trying to clone my garage door opener with some 'learning' remotes I bought from AliExpress.

They don't work at all, and they also have the worrying side-effect of making any music playing via bluetooth glitch.

I'd like to hook up some way of seeing what the original remote and the new learning remotes are broadcasting.

The scope at the space I think maxes out at 100Mhz, but I don't really need to see the carrier signal, just the modulation, which I assume is somewhat closer to the kilohertz region?

Is there a simple way I can hook something up to see the signal that's being sent?

Thanks for any advice,
Aidan.

Iain Chalmers

Mar 21, 2018, 1:57:21 AM3/21/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Software defined radio.

RTL-SDR USB sticks work really well at 433 - you can get em for $10-$15.

big

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Matt Callow

Mar 21, 2018, 2:43:12 AM3/21/18
to robodino
Assuming it's ASK or on/off keying, you can get very cheap 433mhz receivers for around $1. You can hook the output up to a scope to see the demodulated signal. As you say, probably in the khz region.
But I think most garage remotes will use some form of rolling code to prevent you from (or anyone else) from cloning your remote.

Matt

On 21 March 2018 at 16:23, Aidan Samuel <aidan....@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been trying to clone my garage door opener with some 'learning' remotes I bought from AliExpress.

They don't work at all, and they also have the worrying side-effect of making any music playing via bluetooth glitch.

I'd like to hook up some way of seeing what the original remote and the new learning remotes are broadcasting.

The scope at the space I think maxes out at 100Mhz, but I don't really need to see the carrier signal, just the modulation, which I assume is somewhat closer to the kilohertz region?

Is there a simple way I can hook something up to see the signal that's being sent?

Thanks for any advice,
Aidan.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Aidan Samuel

Mar 21, 2018, 3:56:01 AM3/21/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys.

The remote is decade(s) old, and has one of those 10-way dip switches inside (which I'm assuming implies it isn't rolling code?)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robots & Dinosaurs" group.

Kris

Mar 21, 2018, 4:56:21 AM3/21/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a magic button.
There should be a lot about it on the Google machine.
It's night be worth opening it up and googling the chips too.

https://www.liwen.id.au/arduino-rf-codes/

Mar 21, 2018, 5:02:27 AM3/21/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I have one of those decoder boards too if you want to borrow it.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/wireless-modules-receiver-433mhz/p/ZW3102

But I think SDR single might be quicker.

Mar 22, 2018, 8:54:12 PM3/22/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
The ones on ebay all seem to cost between $30 and $60, which seems expensive to me? The ones I got from AliExpress cost about $3 each (which may explain why they don't work!).

Thanks for the offer of a decoder board Kris. I'd really like to see the raw signal though - pre decoding, mostly out of curiosity, but also because I suspect the AliExpress learning remotes are doing something crazy.

I now have an excuse to get an SDR! Thanks for the links.

Iain Chalmers

Mar 22, 2018, 10:57:16 PM3/22/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've got a few RTL-SDR USB TV tuners kicking around if you wanna borrow one...

Big (I mostly lurk around Newtown, or the CBD for work...)

Aidan Samuel

Mar 23, 2018, 12:35:57 AM3/23/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Iain.

I'd be interested in borrowing one of your tuners. I don't know a lot about RF things though - would it be compatible with something like GNU radio? I'd like to use a spectrum analyser, and I'm assuming I could also use that to see the raw modulated signal.

I'm in Strathfield & North Sydney, but can always swing by Newtown on a weekend, and I often cycle through the CBD.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

Iain Chalmers

Mar 23, 2018, 12:55:50 AM3/23/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - gnuradio works with them - I use gqrx on both MacOS and Raspberry Pis...

Jason Ball