Iteaduino BT Issues

Christopher Beckett

May 24, 2012, 7:05:54 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I know Nick's used this micro before, do you or anyone else know where I can find a decent set of instructions for this device? I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to connect to it via BT for serial comms. I can upload a sketch, but only via USB.

Any help would be great. Thanks

--
Christopher Beckett

Nick Johnson

May 24, 2012, 7:29:24 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yup, it's a neat concept but poor execution. There aren't any good docs I'm aware of.

For serial comms with the bluetooth module, make sure both the jumpers are in the 'B' position if you're trying to communicate BT<->Arduino, and the 'A' position if you're trying to communicate BT<->USB; also note that there's two ways you can align the jumpers, only one of these is correct (they should be aligned lengthwise).

If you're trying to communicate BT<->USB, make sure the Arduino isn't running a sketch that enables the UART. If you're trying to communicate BT <-> Arduino, make sure the USB isn't plugged in.

The annoying thing is, I know exactly how to fix these issues (with changes to the design). I've been seriously tempted to build my own.

-Nick

--
Christopher Beckett

Christopher Beckett

May 24, 2012, 7:44:49 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yea, I finally got it working. I might put up a blog post so the next sucker finds it.

Uploading a sketch (Can only be done via USB) : No Jumpers
BT <--> Arduino : B
BT <--> USB : A
BT Supports Baud rates : 9600,19200,38400,57600,115200,230400,460800
BT Default pin code : 1234

--
Christopher Beckett

Nick Johnson

May 24, 2012, 7:45:59 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Want to collaborate on building a better one? ;)

-Nick

Christopher Beckett

May 24, 2012, 7:49:04 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested, can you briefly outline the improvements you'd like to make?

--
Christopher Beckett

Nick Johnson

May 24, 2012, 7:56:57 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Basically, I'd like to put tri-state buffers between the arduino and the bluetooth and USB subsystems. The buffers would be enabled by the RTS/DTR lines of the respective modules, so the interface is only enabled when it's needed.

There might be other options, too, like using a USB<->Serial interface that supports two serial ports.

-Nick

Christopher Beckett

May 24, 2012, 8:21:04 PM5/24/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Something like: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT2232D.pdf

Which covers USB <--> Arduino
                               \-> BT

But not really the Arduino <--> BT, or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. It'd also be awesome to program it via BT.

--
Christopher Beckett

Nick Johnson

May 24, 2012, 8:25:36 PM5/24/12
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Christopher Beckett <xenp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Something like: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT2232D.pdf

Which covers USB <--> Arduino
                               \-> BT

But not really the Arduino <--> BT, or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. It'd also be awesome to program it via BT.

Well, you could connect the arduino UART via the aforementioned tristate buffer to the BT UART as well.

Alternately, a board based on, say the ATMEGA1280 would have more than one UART, so this would be less of an issue.

-Nick

David Lyon

Aug 9, 2012, 6:42:35 PM8/9/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Benjamin Bellamy <benjamin...@keeward.com> wrote:

The documentation is so poor that I decided to write a blog post about it, in case I forget in 6 months ;-)
How-To configure and use an Iteaduino BT

That's a really good post.

My only suggestion is that it needs rearranging to make the content more clear.

For example, move the meaty bits (currently at the bottom) to the top and
move the waffle (at the top) to the bottom.

Content and presentation otherwise is excellent.

David Lyon

Aug 9, 2012, 7:42:48 PM8/9/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
One thing I'd add also, is that when I followed a like tutorial
on my bluetooth module, I was somewhat dissapointed at the
end.

It turns out that the Arduino isn't talking to the bluetooth
module really at all. What's happening is that the pc is
simply using the usb<->ttl ftdi chip to access the bluetooth
module.

Most of these tutorials then don't provide any code for the
arduino (the one's that I've seen) to get the arduino to do
any real job.

If I had realised that before hand, I just would have used one
of these:

 - http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=usb+serial+ttl

to open up a terminal window to talk to the bluetooth module.

The bluetooth modules really only want 3.3v power and serial
data to become operational.

Benjamin Bellamy

Aug 10, 2012, 4:50:02 AM8/10/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure I understand you when you say “Arduino isn't talking to the bluetooth
module really at all.”

To me, Arduino is talking to the BT module.
When you do a Serial.print("test"), it send sent to any paired bluetooth device (computer, cell phone…) via the BT module.
I use my Android phone to send commands and receive informations from the Iteaduino BT (I will write a post about that ;-).

I updated my post to make it clearer but I did not really get the “meaty bits“ and “waffle” thing…

Ben.

David Lyon

Aug 10, 2012, 4:56:51 AM8/10/12
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
maybe you are right.

But what you are saying is implied and not written up.

I simply stopped where the articles stopped.

Nasser Alizadeh

Aug 2, 2013, 4:06:01 PM8/2/13
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I just got one of these dev boards. Thanks for the tutorial, it helped me a lot.
I am having an issue uploading the blink sketch to it.
It gives me avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
When the sketch is uploading I can see RX LED blinking several times, and the TX once or twice.
The board is set to Duemilanove w/ ATmega328
Any idea what else can cause this?
Thanks,
/N

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:14:06 AM UTC-6, Benjamin Bellamy wrote:
Thank you for the input, it really helped!
I really like this board but the documentation is so poor that I wrote a blogpost about it:
How-To configure and use an Iteaduino BT http://kwrd.co/MhCauDKmKY