Sigh... holiday projects...

Jason Ball

Dec 30, 2016, 5:43:48 AM12/30/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I had several projects to work on these holidays.  Sadly they didn't include what I've been working on...

* kids nintendo ds is borked...  checked, parts ordered, now for some truely painful smd work before i throw it in the bin and consider simply buying a new one...

* nearby lightning strike destroys all my network kit...  still fixing this with new router, wifi, powerlink modules, adsl modem etc... $$$   this was christmas eve of al lot times!

* My pc monitor died, all the symptoms of dud power supply caps...  the fsyncjng thing is ultrasonically welded shut!!!  Now to fix that... sigh.

* today the starter motor died in my car, and the mechanic is closed for 3 weeks...   guess what im doing tomorrow...

* NOW my parents heard i was on hols so are now coming from queensland...

Holidays?  What fsyncing holidays?

Rant over...  im glad to hear somebody out there is doing something awesome...

So much for holisa

Andrew Larkin

Dec 30, 2016, 6:46:00 AM12/30/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Feeling the pain.

Also gad to replace adsl modem and router from lightning lost gbit switch too.

Aircon fan in my car failed. Won't turn off when car is switched off and key removed. Even pulling fuses doesn't work. Smart controller on motor is doing weird things. Picking up used spare when the wreckers open on Tuesday.

Also got parents visiting.

Jason Ball

Jan 2, 2017, 6:57:17 PM1/2/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Making progress...

* LAN/Wifi network recreated with new kit...  Surge protectors included this time, although I doubt they would have made a difference in this instance.

* Starter motor replaced in the Patrol...

* Nintendo DS is now *Really* borked...   I didn't think the repair would work, I was right ;)...

I may _actually_ get to fixing the final issue on the Taz 5 and make some progress on my R2 project ;)

J.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Andrew Larkin <and...@arcadius.com.au> wrote:
[...]

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb

Madox

Jan 3, 2017, 2:45:09 AM1/3/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
http://xkcd.com/1780/

I think XKCD saw it coming with the DS repair.

PS, thanks for the offer on the screws, I think I will buy a few hundred/thousand of each online... Gavin would know I like composite materials, with stainless m3 screws being a key component!