My home 'supercomputer' - raspberry pi SETI@HOME

Gav

May 16, 2016, 7:00:21 AM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
James R. is to blame for inspiring this one:

This was put together using parts I had laying around the house, with some extra Pis supplied by John and Darryl.

Inline images 1

Jason Ball

May 16, 2016, 9:15:41 AM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Beat me to it by a matter of weeks ;)

Iain Chalmers

May 16, 2016, 8:27:24 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

I've got a stupid idea to mock up our standard Amazon AWS stack with PiZeros - these three are the ELB - those ones are the EC2 instances running the web app, those two are the multi-region RDS database, those three are the S3 storage...

All mounted on a wall-chart type thing, perhaps with lines of LEDs or EL wire representing (and blinky-ing) the network traffic - I'd actually run a sample site on it, so you could point things out to people, hit a web page, and watch various things blink...

Zeros don't really have enough networking - but the biggest problem is getting hold of enough of them. (Adafruit sell them for the actual $5 advertised price, but only one per customer with a minimum ~$16 shipping... When they'll sell me 20 for ~$100+shipping, Il revisit this plan...)

big
--
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Jason Ball

May 16, 2016, 8:33:05 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm simply looking at using the Pi's as an experimental docker swarm, so I can do nasty things to the network stack that simply can't be done on a fully virtualised stack...

J.

--

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb

Peter Hardy

May 16, 2016, 9:13:47 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

This is a stupid idea I can get on board with.

But my AWS environment is... unique. Not sure 20 Zeros would cover it. :(

Jason Ball

May 16, 2016, 9:15:32 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... Bulk Pi Order anybody ?

I'll take 10 ;)

Iain Chalmers

May 16, 2016, 9:29:27 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't think anybody will currently sell you 10 Zeros.

IF anybody knows different - I'll take 20 @ ~$5US each! Not interested in the "$5 Pi Zero, but you have to buy $5 worth of cables and adaptors for $30 at the same time" deals...)

big

Jason Ball

May 16, 2016, 9:32:25 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't know that zero's are the right platform to be completely honest.  No on board network for a start which is kind of important when contemplating a network solution ;)

This will come, and somebody will eventually bring out a pi cluster motherboard.  For now, It's Pi 3's for me.

J.

Iain Chalmers

May 16, 2016, 9:41:50 PM5/16/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, definitely all wrong for the task, except for the price...

I want at least 12, and probably more like 20 to depict an autoscaling group (more if I want to represent web server/app server/ WAFs...)

I can see myself plunking down $100(US) for a lark. With Pi3's that'd me closer to $800. (Although, to be fair, I'll need to add USB/Ethernet converters to the PiZeros - that'll cost me something like $3 each, or 2/3rds of the price on top of each PiZero...)

big

Jason Ball

May 23, 2016, 9:21:14 PM5/23/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking the Orange Pi is the go for this, less memory (512MB) but at US$10 each you can have 6 * more nodes for the money...

J.

Aleksandr Motsjonov

May 23, 2016, 10:56:06 PM5/23/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyU1zSqFwU how appropriate Dave made a video today. Even shows that it runs Boinc

Mike Brown

May 24, 2016, 12:17:42 AM5/24/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
If you want to pay $50 a piece Bangood let you order more than 1 from their US warehouse.

Jason Ball

May 25, 2016, 4:37:05 AM5/25/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Why would I pay 50 when I can pay 10 ?

JT

May 26, 2016, 2:53:47 AM5/26/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

There is a bit of difference between ARMv7 and ARMv8

* 64bit not 32bit

* more registers

* IEEE-754 compliance.

* better SIMD support