Slow Dance / Timeframe

Paul Hutchison

Dec 24, 2016, 12:13:03 AM12/24/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've posted to the list about this before, but I've finally added the finishing touches to my build of this fantastical piece of modern magic (a gift for my wife):

Gavin has a bunch of PCBs made up for a workshop next year.

Paul

Jason Ball

Dec 24, 2016, 12:37:57 AM12/24/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice.. Very nice...

Paul

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb

devastatorbadman

Dec 24, 2016, 2:53:32 PM12/24/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Looks great Paul.
Fantastic effort.
The whole thing is really tidy.

James

Gav

Dec 27, 2016, 12:04:46 AM12/27/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
That's simply amazing Paul! The joint looks great, and the grain is brilliant.

How did you find behaves visually it with the recessed strip and the narrow frame? The background here is I'm still tossing up wether to make more of a 'box' than a frame for mine. A box excludes more room light, but is more complex to make. Whatever way I do it seems to require slightly more woodworking skills than I have to pull off nicely.

And for anyone that's interested, we'll definitely be running a workshop on making your own in the New Year.

Cheers,
Gavin

Paul Hutchison

Dec 27, 2016, 3:50:41 PM12/27/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
It still works fairly well. I'm sure it could be further tuned, and I added a knob to control the electromagnet duty cycle which I think helps a lot.

I think the benefit of a narrow frame is that it's instantly recognisable as a piece of art, but it also makes you take a second look when you realise there is no glass or back. Having said that, the effect is substantially clearer when there is less ambient light.

I'll bring it to the space on Thursday night at around 7pm if anyone wants to take a look at the final product.

Paul

On 25 December 2016 at 06:53, devastatorbadman <devastat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks great Paul.
Fantastic effort.
The whole thing is really tidy.

James

Jason Ball

Brett

Terry Dawson

Jan 12, 2017, 1:15:10 AM1/12/17
to Sydney Hackspace Mailing List
Wow, that's a great project Paul.
I love your frame.

Terry

Paul

Paul Hutchison

Jan 21, 2017, 5:18:14 AM1/21/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've just published an Instructable for this build in case anyone is interested in the nitty-gritty:

Paul