The Collatz-O-Matic

Gav

Oct 6, 2016, 6:54:57 AM10/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've just finished another educational/mathy project, the Collatz-O-Matic!

Very similar to a Turing machine, this one implements the Collatz sequence and will work its way from any number given down to one.

Cheers,
Gavin

Inline images 2

Paul Hutchison

Oct 6, 2016, 8:11:14 AM10/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Awesome writeup!

To prove that I read it all, I found a typo:

If the first symbol deleted was:
  • A – then write AAA to the rear of the tape

Should read "C", not "A".

I'd love to see the completed cedar sphere implementation...

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Oct 6, 2016, 8:38:54 AM10/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
They were talking about it in one of the last numberphiles. Also there was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKn0yUTIU4
I've spend some time and wrote comment:

Ok. Here is a graph for all numbers from 0 to 999999 in Russian language. http://imgur.com/a/62L0d [124] with green arrow means - it's number of other numbers that are pointing directly to that node (to save space) The first number to reach chain of 8 elements is 454 -> 26 -> 14 -> 12 -> 10 -> 6 -> 5 -> 4 So it seems like to get chain made of 9 nodes I would need a number made of 454 characters ... 454 четыреста пятьдесят четыре -> 26 двадцать шесть -> 14 четырнадцать -> 12 двенадцать -> 10 десять -> 6 шесть -> 5 пять -> 4 четыре

On 6 October 2016 at 21:54, Gav <the.mechat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I've just finished another educational/mathy project, the Collatz-O-Matic!

Very similar to a Turing machine, this one implements the Collatz sequence and will work its way from any number given down to one.

Cheers,
Gavin

Inline images 2

Gav

Oct 6, 2016, 9:28:57 PM10/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
@Paul, thanks for the heads up, I've fixed it now. Darn it, the rule system is the bit I most wanted to convey unambiguously, and that typo wouldn't have made it easy for non-CS people to follow.

I'm tempted, but I think I'll leave the wooden implementation for now :-)
(If someone was interested, I have some ideas of how to do it reasonably easily...)

@Sasha, that's really cool :-)
454 character words seems a tad tough. Hmm... how well defined are the expressions of numbers in Russian anyway? I'm wondering whether you can expand the tree slightly if you allow structures like "<SMALLNUM> subtracted from <BIGNUM>. " in roughly the same way as we say "Quarter to Five" or in Roman Numerals MCM is 1900.
Like, if in society we had to express numbers like 999,920 often, we might find phrases such as "80 shy of a million" creeping into our vocabulary.

Cheers,
Gavin