load cell suppliers

Andrew Stapleton

Feb 8, 2015, 5:38:49 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang,

I'm looking to toy around with some relatively inexpensive low kg weight sensors (load cells) for Arduino projects and wondered if anyone had experience with these and had found a decent supplier?

Cheers,
Andrew

Brendan Halliday

Feb 8, 2015, 5:43:48 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Gut a cheap set of scales from China. Airtripper's blog on a filament load cell lists some useful suppliers.

Kean Maizels

Feb 8, 2015, 7:04:39 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I do a bit of work with load cells (animal dynamic weighing).

I’ve bought a few cheap 5kg and 20kg ones on AliExpress, but I mostly work with high quality (expensive) ones from PT Global or in Ohaus scales.

The links I have to the AliExpress stores aren’t working – but I think most of the cheap Chinese load cells are going to be much the same.

Beware buying any old cheap scale to gut it – you’re likely to get weird 3 wire load cells.

I’ve played around with the HX711 weigh sensor interface with Arduino using https://github.com/bogde/HX711 library, and it works really well.

I am switching to the ADS1232 for my serious work, just waiting for my PCBs for the new load cell interface design to arrive from China.

Kean

Andrew Stapleton

Feb 9, 2015, 5:53:51 PM2/9/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks for the tips Brendan and Kean.

Nice work and very much appreciated :)

Dr Hugh

Feb 21, 2015, 7:17:10 PM2/21/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I bought some cloned Wii Fit Balance boards from BigW some time ago.
These have 4 load cells with easily accessible outputs.
But a local web search suggests they may be hard to obtain at present (all are "out of stock"), but maybe on aliexpress.com

Andrew Stapleton

Feb 23, 2015, 3:36:36 AM2/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Dr Hugh!