Machines free to good home

Patrick Barnes

May 13, 2018, 2:46:42 AM5/13/18
to Robots and Dinosaurs
Two salt therapy machines I fixed/built for a client, several years later she upgraded and gave these back to me.

Big solid stainless steel frames, perspex plates,
Under the green covers: a 12V power supply, arduino, motor shield, etc.
Brushless motor high speed grinder, DC motor salt dispenser augur, 12V fan.
All stainless steel and plastic, very corrosion-proof.

I expect they can be broken down for the various bits - I bet frame would make a great machine housing, augur would be useful for dispensing, etc.

One warning: still salty. Don't use good tools near this til you get the salt off.

Want one? Say so here.
IMG_20180513_153855.jpg
IMG_20160813_164718.jpg
IMG_20180513_153836.jpg
IMG_20180513_153841.jpg

kris

May 13, 2018, 3:23:07 AM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
they look industrial!

who did the welding? the steel funnel is beautiful.

If no one else takes one I will, I've been meaning to make a protein
powder dispenser for awhile and this looks like it's pretty much made.

Gav

May 13, 2018, 5:42:04 AM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll take one please

On 13/05/18 16:46, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Two salt therapy machines I fixed/built for a client, several years
> later she upgraded and gave these back to me.
>
> Big solid stainless steel frames, perspex plates,
> Under the green covers: a 12V power supply, arduino, motor shield, etc.
> Brushless motor high speed grinder, DC motor salt dispenser augur, 12V
> fan.
> All stainless steel and plastic, very corrosion-proof.
>
> I expect they can be broken down for the various bits - I bet frame
> would make a great machine housing, augur would be useful for
> dispensing, etc.
>
> One warning: still salty. Don't use good tools near this til you get
> the salt off.
>
> Want one? Say so here.

Patrick Barnes

May 13, 2018, 5:43:52 AM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it. :-)
I'll bring them to the space.

Do not lick.

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

kris

May 13, 2018, 5:45:24 AM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
thanks

and

you're not the boss of me

On 13/05/18 19:43, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it.
> :-)
> I'll bring them to the space.
>
> Do not lick.
>
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 at 19:42 Gav <the.mechat...@gmail.com
> <mailto:the.mechat...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I'll take one please
>
> On 13 May 2018 at 17:23, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
> <mailto:sydney-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:sydney-hackspa...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:sydney-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <mailto:sydney-h...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:sydney-h...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>
> --
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

Gav

May 13, 2018, 6:03:46 AM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks heaps Patrick.

Also, I can safely say I wasn't in danger of licking them. But, being warned against it is driving me nuts, and I'm burning to know why exactly it's a bad idea. Is it the sharp rotating machinery bit, or is it not an edible salt? Or is this more a general warning against licking things, like not eating yellow snow?

On 13 May 2018 at 19:45, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com> wrote:
thanks

and

you're not the boss of me

On 13/05/18 19:43, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it.
> :-)
> I'll bring them to the space.
>
> Do not lick.
>
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 at 19:42 Gav <the.mechatronics.guy@gmail.com
> <mailto:the.mechatronics.guy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'll take one please
>
>     On 13 May 2018 at 17:23, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>         > <mailto:sydney-hackspace+unsub...@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace@googlegroups.com>
>         > <mailto:sydney-hackspace@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace@googlegroups.com>>.

>         > Visit this group at
>         https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>
>         --

>         Visit this group at
>         https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>

>     --

Patrick Barnes

May 13, 2018, 6:32:34 AM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Muahahaha...

Best not to lick it because it's been sitting in my garage for a while, and hers before that. Ammonia salts would have been fun, but I can't imagine quite how "Dutch licorice" therapy would work.

Bonus points though if you can figure out why the motor controller and display controller had to be on separate I2C busses. Grr...

On Sun., 13 May 2018, 20:03 Gav, <the.mechat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks heaps Patrick.

Also, I can safely say I wasn't in danger of licking them. But, being warned against it is driving me nuts, and I'm burning to know why exactly it's a bad idea. Is it the sharp rotating machinery bit, or is it not an edible salt? Or is this more a general warning against licking things, like not eating yellow snow?

On 13 May 2018 at 19:45, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com> wrote:
thanks

and

you're not the boss of me

On 13/05/18 19:43, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it.
> :-)
> I'll bring them to the space.
>
> Do not lick.
>
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 at 19:42 Gav <the.mechat...@gmail.com
> <mailto:the.mechat...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'll take one please
>
>     On 13 May 2018 at 17:23, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
>         > an email to sydney-hackspa...@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>         > <mailto:sydney-hackspa...@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.

>         <mailto:sydney-h...@googlegroups.com>
>         > <mailto:sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:sydney-h...@googlegroups.com>>.

>         > Visit this group at
>         https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>
>         --

>         Visit this group at
>         https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>

>     --

>     Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

Gav

May 13, 2018, 7:46:42 PM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that makes sense, cheers mate.

Hmm.. did you need separate I2Cs because they had non-changeable device IDs that collided?

On Sun., 13 May 2018, 20:03 Gav, <the.mechatronics.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks heaps Patrick.

Also, I can safely say I wasn't in danger of licking them. But, being warned against it is driving me nuts, and I'm burning to know why exactly it's a bad idea. Is it the sharp rotating machinery bit, or is it not an edible salt? Or is this more a general warning against licking things, like not eating yellow snow?

On 13 May 2018 at 19:45, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com> wrote:
thanks

and

you're not the boss of me

On 13/05/18 19:43, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it.
> :-)
> I'll bring them to the space.
>
> Do not lick.
>
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 at 19:42 Gav <the.mechatronics.guy@gmail.com
> <mailto:the.mechatronics.guy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'll take one please
>
>     On 13 May 2018 at 17:23, kris <Kr...@sleepingplanet.com

>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace@googlegroups.com>
>         > <mailto:sydney-hackspace@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:sydney-hackspace@googlegroups.com>>.

>         > Visit this group at
>         https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>
>         --

>         Visit this group at
>         https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.
>

>     --

Iain Chalmers

May 13, 2018, 9:15:49 PM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
So  now that I can't possibly snag one...

WTF is a "salt therapy machine"? And should I have grabbed one (or both) and opened an eye-wateringly expensive salon in Balmain charing mortgage-payment sized prices for "salt therapy sessions"?

(Yes - I could have googled this, but I'm 99% sure I'd get angry and throw the laptop out the window, unless I'm making seriously incorrect assumptions here?)

big

On 13 May 2018 at 19:43, Patrick Barnes <mrt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it. :-)
I'll bring them to the space.

Do not lick.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Paul Hutchison

May 13, 2018, 9:19:57 PM5/13/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Google it and be amazed... Or angry. Or something. I did, and my eyes have been opened. They're now watering profusely.

On Mon., 14 May 2018, 11:15 am Iain Chalmers, <big...@mightymedia.com.au> wrote:
So  now that I can't possibly snag one...

WTF is a "salt therapy machine"? And should I have grabbed one (or both) and opened an eye-wateringly expensive salon in Balmain charing mortgage-payment sized prices for "salt therapy sessions"?

(Yes - I could have googled this, but I'm 99% sure I'd get angry and throw the laptop out the window, unless I'm making seriously incorrect assumptions here?)

big

On 13 May 2018 at 19:43, Patrick Barnes <mrt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it. :-)
I'll bring them to the space.

Do not lick.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Iain Chalmers

May 13, 2018, 10:51:50 PM5/13/18
On 14 May 2018 at 11:19, Paul Hutchison <pa...@pcdev.co.nz> wrote:
Google it and be amazed... Or angry. Or something. I did, and my eyes have been opened. They're now watering profusely.

:Sigh:

Suspicion CONFIRMED!

(Curse you Gav and Kris!!! I could have been _RICH!!!_ ;-)  )

Dr Big, Accredited Salt Therapy Specialist. Exclusive Balmain Salt Salon, as seen on Goop.com. Bulk billing available. All platinum credit cards accepted.

On Mon., 14 May 2018, 11:15 am Iain Chalmers, <big...@mightymedia.com.au> wrote:
So  now that I can't possibly snag one...

WTF is a "salt therapy machine"? And should I have grabbed one (or both) and opened an eye-wateringly expensive salon in Balmain charing mortgage-payment sized prices for "salt therapy sessions"?

(Yes - I could have googled this, but I'm 99% sure I'd get angry and throw the laptop out the window, unless I'm making seriously incorrect assumptions here?)

big

On 13 May 2018 at 19:43, Patrick Barnes <mrt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unless someone else wants to fight for them, Gav and Kris have got it. :-)
I'll bring them to the space.

Do not lick.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sydney-hackspace.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Kris

May 14, 2018, 4:44:12 PM5/14/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Ha too late!
I have it at home now... It tastes sooo salty.

But now that my breathing holes are cleansed I feel much more pure.

: Stares at Big while enjoying the true flavour of activated almonds:

Also, this machine would make the perfect gift for anyone who:

1, doesn't know what this is
2. You don't like
3. Owns a server room

May 14, 2018, 6:19:32 PM5/14/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
True flavour of almonds... Cyanide?

Yes it's a bit of a noisemaker that throws energetic little particles of salt at you. The original machine was beautifully engineered, except for a horrible resistive touchscreen interface and windows CE. Arduino and a kitchen-timer-esque UI was more than enough.

Gav it wasn't an unchangeable address issue, it was a bug in the silicon of one of the modules - would react when a message was sent to the OTHER module, even though wasn't same address.

-Patrick