Fwd: Basic robotics workshop

Tim

Jan 31, 2015, 3:20:00 AM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, rnd-announce

Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to running my basic robot workshop!

What: Basic robotics workshop
When:  Saturday March 14th
Cost: $40

last year I built this simple robot platform with a view to running it as a workshop.

Here it is with sensors and programming to follow a line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KF5wjF5PUE

The hardware consists of an arduino, 2 gear motors and wheels, a motor driver and lipo battery with charger. This all straps to a lasercut disk chasis.

We'll include a sensor kit with an ultrasonic rangefinder, a bag of IR reflectance sensors, a servo, some light sensors and a frikken' laser.

It's a cheap and convenient platform and a great way to start off in robotics. All the running components are hidden below the deck and the top has an arduino nano breadboarded to make prototyping easy. The battery is charged via micro USB and has over discharge protection so you shouldn't ever have to worry about it.

It's an ideal platform for line following, firefighting, sumo wrestling, maze navigation or just driving around your lounge room running into walls.

The workshop will consist of building your robot as a line follower with basic code to make it follow a line. We'll have a track set up and have a time trial event running throughout the day. Everyone is encouraged to modify their hardware/software to improve their times. After the workshop everyone will have a good enough grasp of the concept to take it further on their own and start experimenting with the sensors provided.

I haven't ordered the parts yet, I want to order some extra to keep at the space so I want to gauge interest for the day. Please speak up if you are intending to come so I can buy the kit as places will be limited.

Tim.

Kate

Jan 31, 2015, 4:08:29 AM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm keen!

Gav

Jan 31, 2015, 4:12:25 AM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for a kit too please Tim

Finnian Lattimore

Jan 31, 2015, 4:48:05 AM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Me too

Jason Ball

Jan 31, 2015, 5:43:36 AM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I would love to bring one of my boys if I could.  He's mad keen to build a robot...

Jason Lewis

Jan 31, 2015, 5:14:16 PM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for 2 please

Brendan Humphreys

Andrew Stapleton

Jan 31, 2015, 9:31:37 PM1/31/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, rnd-an...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great Tim! Add me to the list too please.

Elena Vasilyeva

Feb 3, 2015, 10:29:16 PM2/3/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, rnd-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I'm new here (in fact I'm new to Sydney too). I have three questions. =) What time is the workshop, how long is it going to take and are you going to repeat it some day? I'd love to join if I can, but it depends on the time of the workshop.

Cheers,
Helen

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Feb 4, 2015, 1:51:00 AM2/4/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
If you are interested in Arduino, check this out http://www.meetup.com/eastern-suburbs-makers/events/219072996/

Tim

Feb 4, 2015, 1:56:15 AM2/4/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi Helen!

Welcome to sydney! You'll love it here :)

Or workshops are generally disorgan-... I mean, fluid and unstructured. I haven't actually made a plan yet, I'm still deciding on what exactly I should demonstrate....

Regardless though, it will probably start at 10 and the longer you can stay the more you will get it of it. You should try to give yourself at least 5 hours though.

I'm a bit time poor at the moment so i can't commit to a second day, but there'll be surplus kits anyone can purchase from the space after the day and all the instructions will be on the wiki so there is no reason you can't give it a go yourself.

Tim.

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Feb 4, 2015, 2:09:14 AM2/4/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

And, also, any other day when space is open you can find bunch of guys and girls who can help you with any question regarding Arduino (and anything else)

robby h

Feb 8, 2015, 7:00:35 AM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, rnd-an...@googlegroups.com
I'm keen too!

Rachel Hendery

Feb 8, 2015, 9:34:50 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, rnd-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm also new to Sydney and have been lurking on this list for a bit. I haven't got around to checking out the hackspace in person yet, so am not yet a member. Could I still come to this Robot workshop?

Cheers,
Rachel.

Kris

Feb 8, 2015, 9:44:33 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachel,
Absolutely!
Not sure how the numbers are going (Tim will respond) but you are very welcome.
No need to be a member to join this workshop.
Kris

Tim

Feb 8, 2015, 9:45:57 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Of course Rachel!

It's a great opportunity to get involved and see if you like it.

Tim.

Tim

Feb 8, 2015, 9:48:59 PM2/8/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Oh, I haven't kept count :)

Closer to the event I'll ask people to commit and those replying this thread will get places first. I don't really wasn't too ask people to commit when a few things are still in the air.

If people miss out then we'll run a second workshop or something so everyone has an opportunity.

Tim.

Jonathan Louie

Feb 9, 2015, 7:55:00 PM2/9/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for at least one more!

Darryl Adams

Feb 10, 2015, 12:08:27 AM2/10/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I am getting parts from banggood (shell and 4 wheels for about $20) so I will try to get my skill up to help you before hand.

However, a hint on arduino code for ultrasound and ir and movement would be nice

Darryl Adams

Feb 10, 2015, 12:08:27 AM2/10/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Kris Harrison

Feb 16, 2015, 9:31:59 PM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Tim, are spots still available? I would love to progress from neopixels to something that can move.

Tim

Feb 16, 2015, 9:46:02 PM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I haven't been marking off spots yet Kris, I want to wait another week or so before I ask people to commit. I think you might be the 15th though so it's going to start getting tight :)

I'll post another email with more information about the day and the people from this thread will get first preference to seats.

Tim.

On 17/02/2015 1:33 pm, "Kris Harrison" <harriso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim, are spots still available? I would love to progress from neopixels to something that can move.

Kris Harrison

Feb 16, 2015, 9:51:24 PM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Ok cheers.

Jonathan Louie

Feb 19, 2015, 2:45:40 AM2/19/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Can you put me down for 2 instead of 1 then? I'd love to be able to bring my other half along as well.

Dr Hugh

Feb 21, 2015, 7:00:20 PM2/21/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I would like to attend this please.