group buy 2013 NFC rings (seconds)

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Oct 26, 2015, 5:46:19ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to Sydney Hackspace

SOoo the chap who is making the NFC rings

http://store.nfcring.com/

Ā has a new sexy batch out and is giving away the old QA failed 2013 rings very cheaply.

He writes:

The QA Rings can have one or more of the below issues which made them fail our QA:

  • Scratches
  • Color / Style we decided not to retail (some have rainbows...)
  • One side of the ring has a faulty NFC tag.
  • Slightly unrefined outer radius
  • Slightly unrefined comfort fit

The rings are provided in random sizes and styles.

they will look similar (but not the same) to these:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/nfc-ring-can-unlock-your-smartphone-or-front-door/

They are 60 pounds sterling for 50 rings, which works out at A$2.60 per ring. You are not permitted to sell them on (but you can give them away).

I propose that 10-20 people spend A$12.60-A$26 each to receive 5-10 rings each (at random from the pack of 50).Ā

This should provide at least a couple that will fit, we can maybe do swapsies afterwards to get correct fit.

Is anyone interested in spending upto $26 for some factory seconds NFC rings?

If you are, reply to this thread (cc'ing everyone in please) and i'll do the maths and get firm commitment* then place the order.

I've spoken to John Mclear from NFC and Robots and Dinosaurs are verified as a hacker community (he won't allow these to go retail)

Kris

*your money

Tim

Oct 26, 2015, 5:50:51ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I can't think of a better way to spend $26. I'm in.

Tim.

Iain Chalmers

Oct 26, 2015, 6:16:29ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in for 20 rings - whatever that works out to up to ~$50...

big
> --

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Gav

Oct 26, 2015, 6:28:08ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh what the hell. $26 impulse buy please!

Jason Ball

Oct 26, 2015, 6:33:40ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Ditto...Ā $26 impulse buy please!

--

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb

Finnian Lattimore

Oct 26, 2015, 6:36:59ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in too.Ā

Paul

Oct 26, 2015, 8:01:39ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
"Not permitted to resell" - are they kidding, or is the ring connected to cloud somehow?

Ada Lim

Oct 26, 2015, 8:12:06ā€ÆPM10/26/15
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:46 AM, <kr...@sleepingplanet.com> wrote:
> SOoo the chap who is making the NFC rings
>
> http://store.nfcring.com/
>
> has a new sexy batch out and is giving away the old QA failed 2013 rings
> The QA Rings can have one or more of the below issues which made them fail
> our QA:
> Scratches
> Color / Style we decided not to retail (some have rainbows...)
> Is anyone interested in spending upto $26 for some factory seconds NFC
> rings?

Who doesn't love rainbows? Not me! I want ten!

-A

James Reardon

Oct 26, 2015, 9:20:24ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Yes please. Put me down for $26

Thanks

James

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Oct 26, 2015, 10:01:06ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

yay, alright that's 10 peoples.

i'll leave it open a bit longer for the people who get the digest emails and then confirm that everyone is happy.

any more people are most welcome, it will bring the cost down. and i'm guessing that even 5 rings each would still be enough to have 1 or 2 that work well enough.

Patrick Barnes

Oct 26, 2015, 10:08:43ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for 5. A$12.60?

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Oct 26, 2015, 10:27:53ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

they just mean that you can't sell them as their NFC rings thus removing sales opportunity from the 2015 range and dropping their quality reputation.

Since he's selling in minimum batches of 50 they needed to make it clear that it could only go to people/groups who wanted to experiment/play with nfc rings but didn't want to pay for end user pieces.

Peter Hardy

Oct 26, 2015, 10:57:35ā€ÆPM10/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Sure, I'll join in. Either 5 or 10 is cool.

Praetorian_TMOTC

Oct 27, 2015, 12:10:34ā€ÆAM10/27/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
Hi Kris,

Just letting you know that I put in an order for 300 rings for both the RoboDojo and HSBNE spaces already the other day. I'm sure there will still be plenty to go around (so far have allocated around 140ish) so if you guys wanted to combine your order, can do it all for the same costings plus postage (group package to the Robots and Dinosaurs space - everyone add $1 or $2). Let me know if you're interested in doing this and I'll start adding your orders.

Of course feel free to do your own order if that's preferred, but we'll already have a small surplus :D

Adrian

Darryl Adams

Oct 27, 2015, 2:02:26ā€ÆAM10/27/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Put me down for 5. No idea what I would use them for.....

Paul Hutchison

Oct 27, 2015, 2:54:26ā€ÆAM10/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Put me down for a possible 5, ie. only if you need me to help fill up another batch of 50. I don't mind missing out.

On 27 Oct 2015 17:02, "Darryl Adams" <vora...@gmail.com> wrote:
Put me down for 5. No idea what I would use them for.....

kris

Oct 27, 2015, 2:57:38ā€ÆAM10/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian, at the current time we have an order for exactly 100 (including the request for 5 that just came in 17:56)
If you would like to add 100 more to your order to reduce the unit cost that would be great, i can paypal or EFT you the money directly to you prior to ordering if you wish.

Kris

kris

Oct 27, 2015, 3:23:28ā€ÆAM10/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
or reserve 100 for us...

Alex Pekar

Oct 27, 2015, 3:10:55ā€ÆPM10/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I'd be interested in throwing $26 at this as well is its not too late.

Alex

Madox

Oct 27, 2015, 4:52:44ā€ÆPM10/27/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
For curiosity, is it just the finish that is appealing to people? I mean why not buy the soft adhesive NFC tags and make your own ring that would fit better? (or is it to avoid the yak shaving?)

Praetorian_TMOTC

Oct 27, 2015, 8:44:01ā€ÆPM10/27/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs, Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
All paid already but yeah I can reserve 110 for you all (including Alex's buy below) out of our order :)

Yeah Paypal is good, will send through details to you; best address to email you on? I can post the lot then to you (I'll just grab a handful of 10 at random from one bag) and you can distribute from your end?

Cheers,

Adrian.

Praetorian_TMOTC

Oct 27, 2015, 9:04:42ā€ÆPM10/27/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I think it's a bit of both. These are nice looking overall from the get go and finding one out of a handful that fits should certainly be doable! The rest are good for trial test in case you stuff something out or as handouts to family/friends (NFC door locks etc)Ā

I've also backed his 2016 ring version on KS with the additional flexible tags and might turn one out of wood or something for a personal touch later down the track.

Ada Lim

Oct 27, 2015, 9:04:56ā€ÆPM10/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of NFC, does anyone know how to stop android phones
interacting with opal cards? I have my NFC turned off because of this
interaction...

kris

Oct 28, 2015, 2:23:45ā€ÆAM10/28/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
thanks to everyone who requested, you'll all get an email from me in a minute confirming price.

Kris

Kunal Singh

Oct 28, 2015, 3:31:34ā€ÆAM10/28/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

can you include me as well please. 5 or 10 not fussed :)

thanks
kunal

kris

Oct 28, 2015, 4:22:02ā€ÆAM10/28/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
You should all (including Kunal) have received a confirmation request for the NFCring group buy.
If you havn't (and were expecting one) please check your Spam folder and then send me an email.

Kind regards,

Kris
Message has been deleted

kris

Nov 20, 2015, 2:29:38ā€ÆAM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone,
the NFC rings are here!

here's how you get them:

send me an email saying it's ok to leave them at the space and i will put them in a bag with your name on them in the glass cabinet. If everyone replies i may even be able to do this for you tomorrow morning.

don't send me an email, and meet me on a monday evening, and i will give them to you then.

I'd really rather not start posting them out.

in other news, the rings have a huge size variance, since they will be bagged up by an uninterested party (not me) you may end up with all large ones or all small ones etc.
i suggest you come on a monday and we can all swap about until the statistical majority are happy.

If you can't remember if you bought a ring the names are

Kris
Iain C
Gav
Jason B
Finnian
Kunal S
Paul H
Ada
James R
Patrick Barnes
Alex P
Peter H
Darryl A
Tim

kind regards,

Kris

On 28/10/15 19:35, Adrian Apps wrote:

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, but a lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

James Reardon

Nov 20, 2015, 2:33:26ā€ÆAM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hey Kris

Thanks for the email.

Could you please leave my rings of power at the workshop? I'll be there tomorrow.

Thanks heaps

James

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robots & Dinosaurs" group.

Darryl Adams

Nov 20, 2015, 2:43:28ā€ÆAM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Leaving at the space is fine

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robots & Dinosaurs" group.

Tim

Nov 20, 2015, 2:59:37ā€ÆAM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Leave mine at the space Kris.

Paul Hutchison

Nov 20, 2015, 6:48:23ā€ÆAM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer swapsies in the morning if possible, but I may be able to make it early Monday evening, before about 6pm.

Alex Pekar

Nov 20, 2015, 2:26:37ā€ÆPM11/20/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Thanks for organising this Kris,

I'll come down Monday night at opening time for mine.
Thanks
Alex

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Tim <coo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Leave mine at the space Kris.
>
> Leaving at the space is fine

>> Google Groups "Robots & Dinosaurs" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sydney-hackspace/VnQWJXsEZXI/unsubscribe.

Finnian Lattimore

Nov 20, 2015, 4:08:48ā€ÆPM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Leaving at the space is good for me.

Thanks Kris

Jason Ball

Kris

Nov 20, 2015, 7:41:12ā€ÆPM11/20/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Everyone who replied:
Your rings are in the glass cabinet in a bag with your name on it.

Jason Ball

Nov 30, 2015, 7:30:56ā€ÆPM11/30/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks kris.

Missed this, I'll pick up mine tonight.

J.

kris

Dec 26, 2015, 1:54:17ā€ÆAM12/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
If you haven't picked up your rings yet, can you meet me on Monday?
otherwise I'd like to leave them in the glass cabinet.
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity. --