Laser Question (Exhaust Diameter)

Ghost

Aug 20, 2017, 3:01:30 AM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello yalll...

I am in the process of building my own laser cutter and while I am drawing
up things in cad I like to ask if someone can take a look at the laser at
the space and tell me the diameter of the exhaust hose so I can work out
the size of the hole I need to cut into the side :)

Cheers
Stephen

Kris

Aug 20, 2017, 3:04:32 AM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
It's more about the size of the hose you can get to exhaust it.

Aug 20, 2017, 4:22:13 AM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

on alliexpress I have hose sizes of 100mm or 150mm, logic says cut small
then if it is small just get out the angle grinder..

I wondered if anyone at the space knew off hand otherwise I look at the
machines on ebay :)

Cheers
Stephen

On Sun, August 20, 2017 17:02, Kris wrote:
> It's more about the size of the hose you can get to exhaust it.

Kris

Aug 20, 2017, 4:43:25 AM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
They both sound quite small.
But yes, you can always make it bigger

Aug 20, 2017, 7:47:11 AM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
You can also 3D-print or laser-cut a flange plate that will convert the hole down to whatever size you need.
You'll probably want something cylindrical sticking out to clamp the tubing onto, anyway.

Paul Hutchison

Aug 20, 2017, 9:27:35 AM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I believe the one at the space is 150mm. We have one at work with a 200mm exhaust and it's smaller than that, but it's definitely not 100mm.

However I second the notion they it depends more on what your exhaust setup is going to be like. Cut to the size of your exhaust fan intake, because that's (ideally) the size ducting you'll need. If you haven't got one in mind yet then start looking. Besides, so long as you cut a standard size, you can easily adapt as required. Reducers are cheap.

Ghost

Aug 20, 2017, 11:37:33 PM8/20/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that mate.
I reckon I order the 150mm ducting thus a 150mm hole
I saw a adapter on thingverse which is printed in 2 parts and bolted
together.
The TWT amps at work have a box made which bolts to the air exhaust which
is a box shape then on the other end would be a cylindrical shape to
attach a 100mm air hose.

If anyone is wondering I am building a laser cutter with 1000x1000mm
cutting area (maybe 1100mm) which I can have outside. I post pics once it
is build. I am in the acquiring bits phase of the project (like the drama
of getting a 1.6 mtr 80w CO2 tube home in a uber after a 12 hour night
shift) I am finalizing stuff in designspark mechanical before drawing up
the 3mm skin parts in turbocad.

I also have many of the parts in the mail (like 3x 1200mm maker sides in
from the slowest boat from china)

Thanks again everyone for all of the comments :)
Stephen
20806932_10211501031414837_83186269_o.jpg

devastatorbadman

Aug 25, 2017, 8:55:08 PM8/25/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi Ghost,

It is 150 mm diameter.
(It is about 483 mm circumference which gives you 153 diameter.)

Good to see you are still alive.

James

Ghost

Aug 26, 2017, 2:03:42 AM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks mate. I been busy at work today with my fair share of sport but
when I get a chance I am 'thinking' about putting two holes in the back
(153mm)

I did get the rails and other stuff in the other night and started
printing parts so I hope to get this cad done and the metal skin and frame
worked on :)

Cheers
Stephen Howard

>> Visit

>> Visit

>> Visit

>> Visit this

>>> --
>>>
>> an
>>> email to sydney-hackspa...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>. To post to
>>>
>> this
>>> group, send email to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

andrewl

Aug 26, 2017, 4:01:18 AM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Noting is passing that 6 inches is 152.4mm...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.