Cutting acrylic

Matt Callow

Nov 19, 2016, 10:04:39 PM11/19/16
to robodino
I have a large sheet (~600x1500) of 5mm acrylic which I want to cut down to 550x550
I've tried a jigsaw, a hand pull saw and scoring with a knife and snapping. None of these worked well.
Any ideas on the best way to cut this and get a nice finish (laser cutter being to small)?

Matt

Tim

Nov 19, 2016, 10:07:16 PM11/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

A table saw will give you a straight cut, it a circular saw with a guide rail clamped to it.

If you want a 'polished' finish then you need to polish it afterwards.

Tim

Kris

Nov 19, 2016, 10:14:22 PM11/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
You can also you tube flame polishing and then get really really really frustrated.

Edges don't need to be polished, just as long as they are not sharp. Maybe I'll try the table saw.

On 20 Nov 2016 2:14 PM, "Kris" <kr...@sleepingplanet.com> wrote:
You can also you tube flame polishing and then get really really really frustrated.

rzbu...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2016, 2:21:00 AM11/21/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Matt
Use a circular saw on a table. BUT feed the acrylic from the wrong side slowly. The teeth of the saw blade end up cutting up. It's the chatter of the acrylic onto the table when you cut the correct way that leaves rough edges

Matt Callow

Nov 21, 2016, 2:31:14 AM11/21/16
to robodino

Thanks for the tip