Feasability of this project?

shykitten55

May 25, 2018, 4:31:05 AM5/25/18
to Robots & Dinosaurs
The RPI is a nice enough device and I have one set up for XMBC.

Alas it is slightly lacking connections.   4 x USB ports on a good day.

I was thinking of getting one of those "All in One card readers" and making a little project.

MSY have a few listed cheaper but "out of stock".  (Typical I guess at the price listed)

But I was just wanting to ask about the ..... feasibility of it.

Some come with a USB cable/plug so it is "easier" to connect as they expect an internal USB port on the PC, which isn't unheard of.

But some have custom headers - like the one I showed.   Granted it wouldn't be too difficult to make/change the connector.

So, the idea is that the RPI sits there, and this is beside it and they two are in a nice box/case.

Thoughts - anyone?

Matt Callow

May 25, 2018, 5:23:36 AM5/25/18
to robodino
That really depends on what you expect it to do. Obviously the SATA ports won't work, and the USB will only be 2.0 . I've also seen some of the multi card readers not work on Linux.

Cat

May 25, 2018, 5:27:22 AM5/25/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh.  Ok.  Thanks.

Yes, the SATA would be overkill.   But the SD, CF and USB ports on a front panel would look nice.

Though that was just an example.   I have found ones with only USB ports and card readers.

I was reading the specs and some say they are simply a USB device and don't need drivers.   Just the connector is a concern.

On 25 May 2018 6:31 p.m., "shykitten55" <fuzzywu...@gmail.com> wrote:
The RPI is a nice enough device and I have one set up for XMBC.

Alas it is slightly lacking connections.   4 x USB ports on a good day.

I was thinking of getting one of those "All in One card readers" and making a little project.

MSY have a few listed cheaper but "out of stock".  (Typical I guess at the price listed)

But I was just wanting to ask about the ..... feasibility of it.

Some come with a USB cable/plug so it is "easier" to connect as they expect an internal USB port on the PC, which isn't unheard of.

But some have custom headers - like the one I showed.   Granted it wouldn't be too difficult to make/change the connector.

So, the idea is that the RPI sits there, and this is beside it and they two are in a nice box/case.

Thoughts - anyone?

Kris

May 25, 2018, 6:03:21 AM5/25/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, Cat
I think you are over simplifying the connector change out.
It is simple in theory, but the reality is you will end up with data lines that don't match up and trying to solder to tinsel wire which is an absolute pain.

I would go for a usb hub with card reader

6.21 delivered.

(Search eBay for "all in one multicard reader with three usb ports"

Though depending on what you are going to plug into it, you might want to get a powered hub.