Alternatives to Hobbyking Fabrikator Mini

Paul

Sep 19, 2016, 8:53:28 AM9/19/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Since Hobbyking no longer sells their small and cheap Fabrikator 3d printer, what are similar budget models that are small enough to collect dust on an office desk?

Up mini 2 looks interesting, but price is a little bit steep (I know I'll likely waste quite a bit of time setting up/calibrating if I go cheaper but anyway).

James Campbell

Sep 19, 2016, 9:08:03 AM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
They are preparing to stock the 2.0 hence removing the 1.5's and selling those as kits

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Paul <paul.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
Since Hobbyking no longer sells their small and cheap Fabrikator 3d printer, what are similar budget models that are small enough to collect dust on an office desk?

Up mini 2 looks interesting, but price is a little bit steep (I know I'll likely waste quite a bit of time setting up/calibrating if I go cheaper but anyway).

Patrick Barnes

James Campbell

Patrick Barnes

Sep 19, 2016, 6:45:17 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Err yes, the M200.
(the M150 is a prusa i3, and much larger)

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Sep 19, 2016, 8:40:33 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm James' words about them preparing to stock  2.0. Support told me that.
Also, if you want Cocoon Create - it's the time to contact their support. I've been contacted couple of weeks (3-4) ago as someone who raised an interest before, and I've bought one right away before it went public. Not sure if it is still an option.

James Campbell

Sep 19, 2016, 9:10:20 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I managed to talk with the HobbyKing CEO at CeBIT expo, He informed me that the v1.5 will be sold as a kit, and the v2.0 will be "around the same price with much better upgrades than the previous version".

The Malyan M200 is a nice addition for its print volume and connectivity, however from the looks of the LCD menu it still runs Makerbot firmware and thus will be a pain for any non-windows machine to use (firmware configuration, calibration, profiles)

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:17 AM James Campbell <jamesjasoncampbell96@gmail.com> wrote:

If you want small but worth it, the Malyan M200 (monoprice maker select mini)

On 19 Sep 2016 11:46 pm, "Patrick Barnes" <mrt...@gmail.com> wrote:

They also have the Malyan M150, which the hackaday reviewer recommended.

-Patrick

Jason Ball

Sep 19, 2016, 9:29:51 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Actually the M180 looks identical to the jaycar Duinotech TL4090 but at half the price.

Anybody know if they are the same ?

J.

--

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb

James Campbell

Sep 19, 2016, 9:35:09 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've bought the TL4090 from jaycar, and done some repairs on another guy's M180, for all intents and purposes, they are the same.

Jason Ball

Sep 19, 2016, 11:35:03 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Good to know.

So why would you buy the RL4090 ahead of the M180 ?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM, James Campbell <jamesjason...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've bought the TL4090 from jaycar, and done some repairs on another guy's M180, for all intents and purposes, they are the same.

Jason Ball

Sep 19, 2016, 11:35:27 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
bah:

TL4090 ahead of the M180 ?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM, James Campbell <jamesjasoncampbell96@gmail.com> wrote:
I've bought the TL4090 from jaycar, and done some repairs on another guy's M180, for all intents and purposes, they are the same.

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb

James Campbell

Sep 19, 2016, 11:36:17 PM9/19/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Staff price ended up being cheaper than hobbyking at the time + warranty

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Jason Ball <ja...@ball.net> wrote:
Good to know.

So why would you buy the RL4090 ahead of the M180 ?

Darryl Adams

Sep 20, 2016, 4:54:54 AM9/20/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I bought this kit http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_361425.html it is a baby Prusa i3 in all but name with similar print area as Fabricator.

No heated bed, but the controler board can accept a heated bead if you need ABS printing.