[RnD] How do you equalize caster wheel and drive wheel?

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 23, 2015, 6:24:01 AM11/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Guys, Look at the picture - Imagine you have a motor, mount, platform, and a drive wheel attached to the motor. And you have a caster wheel. I want combination of all these things to make my platform horizontal.
But caster wheels and drive wheels are all specific diameters. How would you solve this problem?

Also, I have very urgent project and I can't wait china->oz time delay. I have these motors: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-100RPM-High-Torque-Gear-Box-Electric-Motor-/320914239665 and I have mounts for them: https://www.pololu.com/product/2676

What I need is caster wheels (I want 2) and drive wheels (2) for these motors. I was looking at these cheepies: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-50mm-Caster-Wheel-Swivel-Bolt-Castor-PICK-UP-AVAILABLE-Heavy-Duty-/190999211213 though I don't get what does 50mm stands for, is it the height from the ground to mounting plane? If so, I need wheels exactly 134.6mm in diameter. =\
I was thinking making wheels myself. Laser cut disks and do some cover for outside rim?

Anyone has an advice, experience, something to sell?

SashaUntitled copy 2.png

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 23, 2015, 6:30:51 AM11/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Just took a ruler and realized that 50mm is too much for mu project and resulting wheel d is too F*** big. I need much smaller caster wheel, 20mm max

Aaron Power

Nov 23, 2015, 6:57:21 AM11/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I if this is what you mean, but take a look at this example:-
    eBay - Basic Robot Chassis

They mount the caster with some threaded stand-offs between the platform and the caster. You can then adjust the length of the stand-offs to make your platform level.

Regards,
Aaron.

Nick Johnson

Nov 23, 2015, 6:58:49 AM11/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
If you need something smaller, consider a ball bearing roller instead.

Gav

Nov 23, 2015, 5:51:27 PM11/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Sasha,

Let me know if you want it and I'll bring it in.

Cheers,
Gavin

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 23, 2015, 6:13:33 PM11/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Gav. This will drive on a carpet like surface, so I am not sure if ball caster is what I need. And I need two.
I think I will go with what bunnings can offer, they have one with 40mm wheel size.

Samuel Bruce

Nov 24, 2015, 3:59:01 PM11/24/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Pages for castors on the bunnings website list an overall height in mm in the product details - as you put it, height from the ground to the mounting plane. If it's not on the site it will be on the packaging.

Dealt with a similar question when building a cabinet recently. That thing is the perfect height now.

Ada Lim

Nov 25, 2015, 12:35:54 AM11/25/15

On 23 Nov 2015 10:23 pm, "Aleksandr Motsjonov" <sos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys, Look at the picture - Imagine you have a motor, mount, platform, and a drive wheel attached to the motor. And you have a caster wheel. I want combination of all these things to make my platform horizontal.
> But caster wheels and drive wheels are all specific diameters. How would you solve this problem?

Smaller caster.   Shims.

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 25, 2015, 2:17:52 AM11/25/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com