Rpi announcement

Andrew Larkin

Mar 14, 2018, 9:55:26 PM3/14/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Haven’t seen any discussion on yesterday’s Pi Day announcement.

New Raspberry Pi 3 B+

  • Quad core 1.4GHz CPU (up from 1.2GHz) with improved heat spreader
  • Dual band Wifi built in with whole board certified (not just wifi module)
  • Gigabit ethernet – although limited to around 330Mbit throughput because it is routed through a USB2 chip.
  • Header for PoE support with a PoE add-on in the works
  • Same price (US$35)

Iain Chalmers

Mar 14, 2018, 10:41:02 PM3/14/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've got two on the way :-)

I'm curious to see if it can run both WiFi bands simultaneously as different networks...

I like the idea of PoE - but it's going to need a ~$35 hat as well as the new Pi.

From pics I've seen so far - it looks like it'll be _much_ harder to hack external antenna connectors onto the WiFi on these...

big

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Terry Dawson

Mar 14, 2018, 10:42:17 PM3/14/18
to Sydney Hackspace Mailing List
I find myself a little excited by PoE. While it was always possible to do it yourself it was fiddly. Having it inboard will make for good form-factor.

Iain Chalmers

Mar 14, 2018, 10:51:50 PM3/14/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't seem really "inboard" to me...

One downside for the new board, it's got gigabit ethernet, which means it's using all 8 conductors in the network cable - so the old trick of using cheapo PoE splitters/injectors that just hook power up to the 2 unused pairs of 10/100 ethernet ports isn't going to work any more...

big

Jason Ball

Kris

Mar 15, 2018, 1:22:16 AM3/15/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
It should auto negotiate down though?

Mar 17, 2018, 5:28:41 PM3/17/18
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Ive got a 3 B+, Ill bring it today for anyone who wants to have a little poke around / see it, its very pretty visually :^)

Aaron Power

Mar 18, 2018, 5:05:52 AM3/18/18
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Do you also have an older Model 3? If so, any chance you could have a look at the "Run" pin location, please? It looks to me as though they have moved the location of these pins - again!

I'm designing a board at the moment that includes a watch-dog on these pins, but the location of the pins on the board keeps moving.

Thanks,
Aaron Power.

Kris

Mar 18, 2018, 5:36:26 AM3/18/18