Fonts to vectors

Xavier Wong

Apr 13, 2017, 10:26:21 PM4/13/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi just playing around with my AI file as I have downloaded non standard fonts, however when I convert the font to "outline" it seems to distort the text and doesnt have the intended clean crisp look. Does anybody have suggestions/workarounds for this, without me having to import the fonts to each different machine I use?

Thanks

Xavier

Jason Lewis

Apr 14, 2017, 2:01:15 AM4/14/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,

Check that the size of your text in illustrator is approximately the
same size in mm as your final design before you outline the font.

Fonts have different shapes at different sizes so that they remain
readable. if you outline a small font then make it larger, you may find
it looks odd at the larger size.

Hope that helps?

Jason
> --

Jason Lewis
http://emacstragic.net

Xavier Wong

Apr 14, 2017, 2:06:34 AM4/14/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Thanks Jason, the text is already at the right size, but have worked out that importing the AI file into inkscape allows a better export to dxf (possibly an AI conversion issue?). Will test this with the laser tomorrow.

Cheers

On 14/4/17 12:26 pm, Xavier Wong wrote:
> Hi just playing around with my AI file as I have downloaded non standard
> fonts, however when I convert the font to "outline" it seems to distort
> the text and doesnt have the intended clean crisp look. Does anybody
> have suggestions/workarounds for this, without me having to import the
> fonts to each different machine I use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Xavier

Kris

Apr 14, 2017, 3:04:49 AM4/14/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
There's something very wrong with the world when inkscape exports better than illustrator :o)

Apr 14, 2017, 6:22:50 AM4/14/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
hahaha, lmao. Chances are I'm probably doing something wrong.