Slew Bearing

Matt Joyce

Jul 2, 2017, 4:36:28 AM7/2/17
to sydney-hackspace
Hello,

I'm designing a Luffing Crane in OpenScad, for 3D printing.
I have the main mast pretty much done, and designed a slew bearing today.
Thinking about how to mount the slew gear on the mast, I can either attach the inner or outer ring to the mast, and have the platform on the other.
Which way round is better?
I'm favoring fixing the inner tot he mast and have all the weight on the outer ring.

Also, to motorist the turntable, I was thinking of extending the upper outer ring and having teeth on the inside.
Mount a motor on the inside if the inner ring.
Any advice?

Regards

Matt