[RnD] Testing reflective method of apartment heat protection

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 17, 2016, 9:55:27 PM11/17/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what will happen ... =)
15036263_10211225254732899_4650328939194813709_n.jpg
15027578_10211225254572895_3189659931845991724_n.jpg
15032139_10211225253292863_1537403589065750776_n.jpg
15056394_10211225254172885_4319239388499573709_n.jpg
15056429_10211225253772875_5378328084808027161_n.jpg

Tim

Nov 17, 2016, 10:00:12 PM11/17/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Yay  Australia!

On Nov 18, 2016 1:55 PM, "Aleksandr Motsjonov" <sos...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know what will happen ... =)

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Nov 17, 2016, 10:04:46 PM11/17/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

is that on the outside or inside of the glass?

if it's on the inside you're still going to get a fair bit of heat (convection?).

if it works ok for you, there is some of this at the space

(mirror tint for window)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pillar-products-0-9-x-2m-mirror-tinted-window-film_p3961895

which will be almost as good, but you can still see out.

blocks 90% IR. i have it on my west facing windows, darkens the room a bit, but easily lowers the room temp by about 3-4 degrees after a hot afternoon.

On 18.11.2016 12:55, Aleksandr Motsjonov wrote:

I don't know what will happen ... =)

15036263_10211225254732899_4650328939194813709_n.jpg
15027578_10211225254572895_3189659931845991724_n.jpg
15032139_10211225253292863_1537403589065750776_n.jpg
15056394_10211225254172885_4319239388499573709_n.jpg
15056429_10211225253772875_5378328084808027161_n.jpg

Tim

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Nov 17, 2016, 10:13:54 PM11/17/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

you know it!

i get the feeling that window film is the homeopathy of the material coatings world.

also, uv wouldn't contribute to my heating costs would it? but might save my expensive rug (if only normal glass didn't block out most uv..oh wait).

On 18.11.2016 13:08, Tim wrote:

"rejecting heat and UV, which may save on expensive cooling costs."

Such confidence!

On Nov 18, 2016 2:04 PM, <kr...@sleepingplanet.com> wrote:

is that on the outside or inside of the glass?

if it's on the inside you're still going to get a fair bit of heat (convection?).

if it works ok for you, there is some of this at the space

(mirror tint for window)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pillar-products-0-9-x-2m-mirror-tinted-window-film_p3961895

which will be almost as good, but you can still see out.

blocks 90% IR. i have it on my west facing windows, darkens the room a bit, but easily lowers the room temp by about 3-4 degrees after a hot afternoon.

On 18.11.2016 12:55, Aleksandr Motsjonov wrote:

I don't know what will happen ... =)

Paul Hutchison

Nov 17, 2016, 10:42:39 PM11/17/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I don't know what will happen ... =)

You'll get a knock at the door from the local armed tactical unit - clearly you're hiding something inside.

Actually, they probably won't knock.

:)

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 17, 2016, 10:45:26 PM11/17/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I thought of that. But at least I don't play with my hydroponics projects (where I use bright red and blue light ;-)

James Campbell

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Peter Hardy

Nov 18, 2016, 12:08:07 AM11/18/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Well, if it works in Minecraft...

Max Nippard

Nov 18, 2016, 4:41:04 AM11/18/16
to Robodino List

Try the Mylar/bubble wrap/Mylar from car windshield screens or foamboad with Mylar on the front.

Well, if it works in Minecraft...

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Nov 18, 2016, 5:30:06 AM11/18/16
to Robodino List
This is mylar. But foamboard with that thing on it - is a good idea. I've applied it from inside right on the window using water spray etc, so it's semi permanent - like - it won't be as easy to remove it and put again.
I have some foamboard that is too bad for planes. Will try that.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM Max Nippard <mnip...@gmail.com> wrote:

Try the Mylar/bubble wrap/Mylar from car windshield screens or foamboad with Mylar on the front.

Well, if it works in Minecraft...

Max Nippard

Nov 18, 2016, 5:57:14 AM11/18/16
to Robodino List

https://www.bunnings.com.au/knauf-insulation-1200-x-600-x-30mm-xps-multi-use-foam-board_p0811027

These foam boards a great for making lots of stuff with. There is also a 50mm thick version

On 18 Nov. 2016 9:30 pm, "Aleksandr Motsjonov" <sos...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is mylar. But foamboard with that thing on it - is a good idea. I've applied it from inside right on the window using water spray etc, so it's semi permanent - like - it won't be as easy to remove it and put again.
I have some foamboard that is too bad for planes. Will try that.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM Max Nippard <mnip...@gmail.com> wrote:

Try the Mylar/bubble wrap/Mylar from car windshield screens or foamboad with Mylar on the front.

Well, if it works in Minecraft...

Kris

Nov 18, 2016, 3:54:47 PM11/18/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm would it be a good material to make a cubby house for the kids?
Dan Dan has been after a fire truck cubby...
Ply I think would be too heavy

Kris

Nov 18, 2016, 4:21:50 PM11/18/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Maybe it's a grammatical issue

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOoKpd8uoUWXgED0-cPTQSlj5TBqSshkCrnArdk80hX7iPuMqJiQ

Nov 18, 2016, 4:24:13 PM11/18/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Step one: purchase foam board.
Step two: throw in pool.

Tim.

Gav

Nov 18, 2016, 4:27:33 PM11/18/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
"Hey! You know the rules, you gotta keep one leg on the ground when you make your shot"

"But.. That really seems like it shouldn't apply here.. oh well"

<pause>

"I... I  think he's drowning"

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Max Nippard

Nov 19, 2016, 10:48:07 PM11/19/16
to Robodino List

There are about 8 of the 30mm sheets under Tim's house if people want some cheap ones.

Madox

Nov 21, 2016, 1:07:34 AM11/21/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
That looks like an awesome game, someone build it now!!!

Madox

Jan 16, 2017, 4:00:09 AM1/16/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Max, can you tell me more about these boards? Are they rigid? Can they be painted?

Max Nippard

Jan 17, 2017, 9:16:29 PM1/17/17
to Robodino List
Yes they are rigid but probably won't take paint well.