Laser cut box pattern

Zachary Austin

Nov 22, 2015, 12:04:13 AM11/22/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi All,

I am looking for a pattern or plug in for Inkscape, to create a box with a sliding lid on the laser cutter.

Similar to either of these, but I was hoping to find something adjustable.

woodyui.com

Or

http://www.outfab.com/gallery/large/Custom%20Finger%20Jointed%20Box.jpg

Thanks

Paul Hutchison

Nov 22, 2015, 12:56:58 AM11/22/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Zachary,

I don't know of any plugins specifically for this, but neither of these designs look too hard to create using the de facto "standard" Inkscape plugin (which has now been forked by people including myself).  Create the box then move bits around to suit.  See here and here for details.  My version will give you interior dividers with holes in the side walls to fit, which I've found really useful for things like this - it'll give you a starting point for the inside edge of the slider track.  Happy to help out if you get stuck.

Paul

Zachary Austin

Nov 22, 2015, 1:27:13 AM11/22/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Thanks for that Paul. I will have a play with that.

kris

Nov 22, 2015, 3:17:48 AM11/22/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
this python based box generator is pretty nice too

https://github.com/florianfesti/boxes

the github is rather impenetrable (at least to me) but they have a nice powerpoint showing how to use it
https://www.kreativitaet-trifft-technik.de/data/talk-0012/slides.pdf

I used flexbox to create this box
if only you recieved emails as
      html...wait

but to me it looks like box2.py would be easiest to convert to a sliding top.

PaulH

Dec 23, 2015, 11:42:09 PM12/23/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs

Hey Zachary,

I've just made a box with sliding lid using the Inkscape plugin similar to what you were after:

This is a box for holding playing cards.  If anyone's interested I'm happy to share the SVG.

Paul

Nikki Austin

Dec 24, 2015, 12:17:55 AM12/24/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I would love a copy of the file Paul. Thanks.

It looks awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Alex Pekar

Dec 24, 2015, 1:41:16 AM12/24/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
That box look awesome! I would also love a copy of the file.

Thanks

Paul Hutchison

Dec 24, 2015, 4:20:58 AM12/24/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Here's a link - it'll be active for 3 days:

I was surprised to find how many different cards sizes there are around, but this should fit many sets such as Monopoly Deal, Uno, 5 Crowns, etc.  I also have a slightly larger box for Ligretto cards.  I've made about 5 of them and engraved logos on the lids.

I should start uploading some of the files I've made to Thingiverse or something, I've got quite a few things like this that others might be interested in.

Merry Christmas, have a good one.

Paul

Nikki Austin

Dec 27, 2015, 2:06:38 AM12/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul,

I downloaded your box, and Zac cut two of them when we were there on Saturday…

It is fantastic.

He couldn’t wait to get it home and put it to use!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Nikki

Paul Hutchison

Dec 27, 2015, 5:34:11 PM12/27/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Great to hear, thanks Nikki!

Jol J

Dec 28, 2015, 10:53:39 PM12/28/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi Paul

Any chance you could post it again?

cheers

Paul Hutchison

Dec 29, 2015, 6:01:34 AM12/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm going to post a bunch of designs I've done over the past year, somewhere a bit more permanent. Just give me a day or two...

Madox

Dec 29, 2015, 6:16:44 AM12/29/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Out of curiosity, is thingiverse still in vogue or do people hate Maker both so much now they've gone elsewhere?

Paul Hutchison

Dec 29, 2015, 6:47:06 AM12/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering the same thing as I browsed around for a suitable place to post the SVG files.  It's been a while since I've looked. Ponoko has a "Free" section, but it looks like you have to sign up as a seller to post there.  Thingiverse has a bunch of laser cut plans, but it's mostly set up for 3D printing.

I suppose I could also post the plans on Instructables and enter some competitions while I'm at it.  Any suggestions?

On 29 December 2015 at 22:16, Madox <mado...@gmail.com> wrote:
Out of curiosity, is thingiverse still in vogue or do people hate Maker both so much now they've gone elsewhere?

Praetorian_TMOTC

Jan 7, 2016, 6:44:06 PM1/7/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
HI Paul,

I missed out on downloading the file... any chance you could repost?

Cheers,

Adrian

Praetorian_TMOTC

Jan 7, 2016, 7:05:49 PM1/7/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Just saw your other post... NVM :)

Theresa Vos

Jun 24, 2016, 5:14:08 AM6/24/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Is there any way I can get this pattern please?  terry...@charter.net

Paul Hutchison

Jun 24, 2016, 5:32:13 AM6/24/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Weird, your message seems to have been delayed by 2 days.

Anywho...  Here's a page with all the files I shared at the time:

Enjoy!

Max Nippard

Jun 24, 2016, 6:59:11 PM6/24/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
The delay is often from Google groups spam filter false positives.

Travis James

Feb 9, 2018, 8:18:23 PM2/9/18
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Darn.  Tried the link and its broken or no longer exists.  Any chance of posting again?  I would have also loved to see your original pictures, but they were deleted above.

Thanks!