extruder unclogging tools

Matt Cabanag

Feb 16, 2015, 4:35:29 AM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I went and clogged my Rigidbot extruder hotend... I'm gunna go buy an e3dv6 as a replacement, but that's gunna take a while. Have we got equipment at the space that can help with this?

Cheers,
Matt

Andrew Larkin

Feb 16, 2015, 4:48:20 AM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I find that a small gas torch applied to the nozzle to burn out the clog is effective. Depends on the hot end design of course.

Matt Cabanag

Feb 16, 2015, 5:34:09 AM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Do we got one of them at the space?

Brendan Halliday

Feb 16, 2015, 5:44:08 AM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Blow torch and then pcb engraving drills, mostly because they come in nozzle sizes :)

I find that flossing the nozzle after with a smaller diameter of guitar string while the nozzle is hot gets the rest of it out too.

Franklin S. Dattein

Feb 16, 2015, 6:25:25 PM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I do the same as Andrew, but as I don't have a torch, I hold the nozzle with a plier on the stove mounth.

Kris

Feb 16, 2015, 6:26:39 PM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, Franklin S. Dattein
If it's avs can you dunk it in acetone?

James Campbell

Feb 16, 2015, 6:37:10 PM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Having had lots of experience with nozzle clogs of all types, If its clogged with filament, remove any filament in the extruder or Bowden tube, heat it up to 250 for PLA or 270 for ABS, then let the filament flow out, once it stops, while its hot unscrew the assembly with gloves and a spanner. Then leave it to cool.
Once its cool, soak the heater block, PEEK, and nozzle in diluted caustic soda for PLA or acetone for ABS.

If its a non filament blockage, heat the nozzle as described and find a needle that will fit inside the nozzle tip. Be very careful when pushing out the blockage as to not damage the nozzle or to burn yourself. Then unscrew the nozzle while hot and clean out the heater block and nozzle with the same solvant solution. Hopefully that should remove the blockage.

After removing the blockage, clean everything with meths and leave it to dry, when putting it back together, you may need to extrude some filament to fully clean the nozzle insides of any remaining meths or solvants

Matt Cabanag

Feb 19, 2015, 6:44:41 AM2/19/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks guys!

I think I might have to visit the space to do all this.

The filament is PLA.

Matt Cabanag

Feb 21, 2015, 3:11:47 AM2/21/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Just update for everyone. The clogged extruder was just some malformed plastic in the cool part of the extruder which was blocking any new plastic from coming through. There was nothing wrong with the hot end itself!

I took the opportunity to use the blowtorch anyway. Which was awesome. :)