X-Carve Tutorial, with Robodino in mind

Patrick Barnes

Jun 13, 2016, 11:48:55 AM6/13/16
to Robots and Dinosaurs

Info-dump time!
Here's a bunch of information aimed at getting someone up and running on the workshop's X-Carve CNC Router.

It is not a substitute for experience and guidance.
Have someone who's used the X-Carve before supervise your first efforts.

http://mindbleach.com/words/xcarve-tutorial/

If you're a newbie, read it. It should be pretty accessible.

If you're a grizzled CNC veteran, read it! Some Easel-specific stuff will be helpful.

Edit suggestions/corrections welcome.

Cheers,
-Patrick

Matt Callow

Jun 13, 2016, 7:16:11 PM6/13/16
to robodino
Response from my web filter at work:

URL Categories: Online Shopping, Pornography
Reputation: Minimal Risk

:)

Patrick Barnes

Jun 13, 2016, 7:26:51 PM6/13/16
to Robots and Dinosaurs

The hell? I assure you it contains neither.
What's the filtering company? - maybe I need to get whitelisted.

Matt Callow

Jun 13, 2016, 7:31:04 PM6/13/16
to robodino
I don't doubt that Patrick. I'm sure I've been to your site before. We have recently changed to using McAfee for web filtering.

Matt

Kris

Jun 13, 2016, 8:26:39 PM6/13/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Awww, now where am I going to buy online pornography with minimal risk?

Rodney Berry

Jun 13, 2016, 8:46:15 PM6/13/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I reckon they just made a script that blocks anything with an X- in it.

Rodney Berry rodberry.net

devastatorbadman

Jun 13, 2016, 9:16:45 PM6/13/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
"You should overstate the material’s thickness slightly – to ensure that cuts go all the way through."
Otherwise you may find yourself manually drilling out 300 separate holes like the author did.

Nice write up Patrick.

James

Matt Callow

Jun 13, 2016, 9:36:17 PM6/13/16
to robodino
I initially thought that, but it seems they are blocking the whole site.

Darryl Adams

Jun 13, 2016, 10:29:25 PM6/13/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Issues I have found with Easel

1. It does not like more than one distinct objects in the design. So no multi part cutting

2. Define the material before you start your design

3.  Dont crush the end stop :-)

Patrick Barnes

Jun 13, 2016, 11:08:25 PM6/13/16
to Robots and Dinosaurs

Hi Darryl,

Can you clarify what you mean by distinct objects? I had no trouble cutting out several pieces in one go, either time I've done it.

I'll say that Easel's editing functionality is pretty awful, I wouldn't recommend attempting anything more than importing and arranging ready shapes.

-Patrick

Darryl Adams

Jun 14, 2016, 12:03:38 AM6/14/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
tried to cut two items. I must be doing something wrong then.....

Madox

Jun 14, 2016, 2:03:55 AM6/14/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Mind bleach must be worse than just eye bleach right? McLaren's logic is sound.