CNC Machine

Peter Dawson

Oct 19, 2017, 4:14:37 AM10/19/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi Guys,

I am looking to join a makerspace for some ongoing projects one of which is cutting a thick aluminum frame for a 3d printer. (max cutting dimension 495mmx420mm)

I've read here that you have an x-carve and but no one has posted about cnc milling on the message board for a while so I am wondering if it's still working or if you have an alternative?

I have read some stuff about the x-carve in general and I would be happy to put heads together to make it sturdier etc, there's a few upgrade options I have seen on youtube.

Also do you guys have a drill press?

Anyway let me know!

kris

Oct 19, 2017, 5:04:35 AM10/19/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

You don't mention how thick, the x-carve is working but it's definitely
a light duty machine. We've also had, erm, reliability problems. It's
very very very easy to set it to destroy itself.

At the moment there a few people who know how to use it correctly and
they are slowly inducting others. So you aren't going to see a
significant amount of use for a while.

We have another member building/repairing a smaller but more sturdy
aluminium cnc machine which should be online in the next few months.

If you just need to cut extruded aluminium...you can do that no problem.
We have a large cut off saw and an automatic hacksaw (that's probably
not the right term).

and we even have extruded aluminium for sale by another member.

yes we have a drill press.

we really should update the website.

from memory:

usual hand tools

usual cordless tools

drill press

bandsaw (with a metal blade on currently i think)

automatic hack saw (i'm lazy and can't be bothered to google the correct
name)

metal cut off saw

drop saw

rip saw

table saw

bench sander (disc and belt)

laser cutter

glass cutting equipment

all manner of solvents, sprays, paints and chemicals

soldering stations,

proper soldering station with hot air

solder oven (not a griddle)

a griddle (not a toaster oven)

a toaster oven

at least 2 3d printers (not to be confused with 23 d printers)

a sewing machine/overlocker

hot wire for foam cutting

i'm probably missing somethings but yeah, it's pretty great.

kind regards,

Kris

semi-treasurer Robots and Dinosaurs

Peter Dawson

Oct 20, 2017, 9:34:04 PM10/20/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi Kris,

This maximum thickness is 15.88mm.

Might have to visit one day when you guys are open.

Kris

Oct 20, 2017, 11:32:12 PM10/20/17
to Peter Dawson, Robots & Dinosaurs
Come on down, your first visit is free!

15mm thick will take a long long loog time to cut if it's even possible

To be honest I wouldn't even consider aluminium on the XCarve, there's almost no rigidity in the frame which will show in reliability and results.

YMMV though.

J.

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 19:14:37 UTC+11, Peter Dawson wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am looking to join a makerspace for some ongoing projects one of which is cutting a thick aluminum frame for a 3d printer. (max cutting dimension 495mmx420mm)

I've read here that you have an x-carve and but no one has posted about cnc milling on the message board for a while so I am wondering if it's still working or if you have an alternative?

I have read some stuff about the x-carve in general and I would be happy to put heads together to make it sturdier etc, there's a few upgrade options I have seen on youtube.

Also do you guys have a drill press?

Anyway let me know!

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

ja...@ball.net
vk2...@google.com
callsign: vk2vjb