Perspex Stock

Michael Warner

Aug 28, 2017, 8:20:53 PM8/28/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hello All,

Does the Space have perspex 410mm x 410mm x 4mm in stock?  If not any suggestions where I can buy some?

Michael

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 28, 2017, 8:54:10 PM8/28/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi Michael

I think you can get 3 mm polycarbonate, if that's any use, at Bunnings, they may have thicker.

I purchased fibreglass sheet from a plastic supplier in Parramatta Rd Lidcombe a couple of years ago, can't find them on line, but I note AR Plastic on line, www.allplastics.com.au

Stephen

Kris

Aug 28, 2017, 8:59:11 PM8/28/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
The space doesn't have 4mm.
Citywestplastics is nearest source

I think you can get 3 mm polycarbonate, if that's any use, at Bunnings, they may have thicker.

I purchased fibreglass sheet from a plastic supplier in Parramatta Rd Lidcombe a couple of years ago, can't find them on line, but I note AR Plastic on line, www.allplastics.com.au

Stephen

Does the Space have perspex 410mm x 410mm x 4mm in stock?  If not any suggestions where I can buy some?

Michael

Michael Warner

Aug 29, 2017, 1:05:08 AM8/29/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Thank you all.

Michael

devastatorbadman

Aug 29, 2017, 4:04:56 AM8/29/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs

I'm only saying this because I like you.

1. Perspex is a brand of acrylic.
2. Don't buy polycarbonate from bunnings. (it just melts when laser cut)
3. 4.5mm acrylic is probably as close as you'll get in Australia. (major stockists carry 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm, 20mm,25mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm.)

I can get you a piece from City West Plastics for Saturday if you'd like

James

Andrew Larkin

Aug 29, 2017, 8:07:30 PM8/29/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Might be worth mentioning that the thickness of cast acrylic is very much “nominal”… Same applies to polycarb.

4.5mm acrylic could be closer to 4mm (but probably not that far out of spec).

Aug 30, 2017, 11:24:51 PM8/30/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
No Andrew, that is incorrect.

The majority of acrylic is cast and therefore nominal.

Extruded acrylic is available though as well as continuously extruded acrylic.
These are both much more closer than cast acrylic.

Polycarbonate is extruded and therefore almost perfect thickness.

James

Andrew Larkin

Aug 31, 2017, 4:44:21 PM8/31/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Wish it were so James.

I have purchased both cast acrylic sheet and polycarb that was nudging 10% undersize. The polycarb sheet was the stuff Bunnings carries and it was returned and exchanged with the replacement not being much better.  I had the Bunnings staff check the thickness with their own calipers and they agreed it was not what it said on the label.

it is possible the error was in the product labeling.  It could have been 3/8” polycarb labeled as 10mm but from memory the product miked at 9.3mm which is not 10mm.

Julian Sortland

Sep 1, 2017, 8:31:49 PM9/1/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
They used to sell uncoated 1/8" brazing rod as 3.2mm, when the dimension is 3.175mm...

Useful for making mobile VHF and UHF ham (or whatever)  antennas.

Julian Sortland, ALIATec, VK2YJS, AG6LE.

Ph:  0429 470 672

123 North Street
OBERON  NSW  2787
AUSTRALIA