Airboat componants

Darryl Adams

Feb 16, 2015, 4:02:03 AM2/16/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
For the guys like Sasha and Gav, what motors and RC stuff did you use for the RC airboat design?

And is it worth while to print a hull (or at least a curved bow) or just flat mdf/ply ok?

Tim

Feb 18, 2015, 4:39:40 AM2/18/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hey daryll,

basic components are as follows.

Slab of foam for a hull, we are getting all tricky and making twin and tri- hulls but a flat plane will work fine

Piece of ply as a rudder.

Rc transmitter - the turnigy 9x is the best. It comes with a receiver.

Servo for moving the rudder. A 9g or 'standard' size is fine.

A battery and charger. Lipo batteries are the best, 3s (3 cell) are the most common, 1000-3000 man) any charger resembling the IMAX b6 is great (look for LCD screen and 4 buttons)

ESC to control the motor

Motor to control the prop

Prop to control the air.

For starters, a 1200-1500kv motor capable of handling 3s and 15a, a 3s, 20a ESC and some 6x4 props should work well. You could also try a slower  motor (900-1000kv) and a bigger prop (10x5), this would give you a slower top speed but more power, like driving in 1st.

Tim.

On 16/02/2015 8:02 pm, "Darryl Adams" <vora...@gmail.com> wrote:
For the guys like Sasha and Gav, what motors and RC stuff did you use for the RC airboat design?

And is it worth while to print a hull (or at least a curved bow) or just flat mdf/ply ok?

Kris

Feb 18, 2015, 5:09:48 AM2/18/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I have an almost decent transmitter and receiver module you can use.
It's a 6 channel 2.4 GHz so will be fine for air boat. In not using it at the moment and have no plans to.

Kris