The art of making a nixie tube

Brendan Humphreys

Oct 3, 2016, 2:29:02 AM10/3/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Pretty mesmerising video of the making of nixie tubes, by a guy who has set up a small scale production company for them:

A personal aside: every time I see nixie tubes, I wince a little with pain: When I was a teenager growing up in Canberra, my mates and I spent considerable time exploring the bush just south of Canberra, including the old abandoned tracking stations at Honeysuckle Creek and Orroral Valley. At the time (late 80's) they were abandoned buildings that you could pretty easily access. We salvaged a bunch of ancient electronics from these sites: linear amplifiers, strange-looking power supplies, other weird stuff we couldn't identify and yes, a bunch of nixie tubes. I have no idea what happened to those tubes, but it kills me to think they probably just got tossed out at some point :-(

-Brendan

Ghost

Oct 3, 2016, 5:21:54 AM10/3/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all..

Some of you may know that I have been spending my time building a taz clone.

No point building it unless you show it off so here is a photo of the
build (a new more things to knock off and some more parts to arrive in the
mail)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58385347/TazClone2.jpg

Also I been using Repeiter server of late. Cool software which controls a
ramps board from a Raspberry Pi. It also manages a webcam for motoring and
recording timeslapses and can be controlled over a network (have not got
ffmpeg going so I just load the images into blender and make a movie from
there) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_fkSZ6xYB0 this is a print over 5
hours on my original printer :)

Cheers
Stephen

devastatorbadman

Oct 3, 2016, 6:17:02 AM10/3/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
ghost, Your build looks like it is coming along nicely.

but you posted this in brendan's thread lol.

James

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Oct 3, 2016, 7:15:49 AM10/3/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Gav, be careful! The density of awesomeness in one second might overflow for your special might! Prepare some napkins before watching. For saliva.

Iain Chalmers

Oct 3, 2016, 6:27:11 PM10/3/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Perfect for DDoSing that steampunk website. A botnet of IoT Nixie tube clocks:

http://www.daliborfarny.com/zen-nixie-clock/

“Internet connected! Online account!”

big

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

ghost

Oct 3, 2016, 9:39:25 PM10/3/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Was lazy and copied from the last email in my browser. I nèed to laser the bottom part of the bed. I need to aquire 400x400mm perspex about 6mm deep.

Cheers
Stephen

Ghost

Oct 4, 2016, 2:45:17 AM10/4/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
If anyone needs perspex, there is a art supply place across the road from
the broadway shopping center that sold me a 5mm 800x400 sheet for about
$33

any idea if the space will open tonight and if so what time ? (need to
plan my trip)

Cheers
Stephen

Darryl Adams

Oct 5, 2016, 12:46:55 AM10/5/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Oooh. Might make an order for a sheet for my Prusa Mk 3 next week....

Darryl Adams

Oct 5, 2016, 12:46:55 AM10/5/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Oct 5, 2016, 1:05:56 AM10/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

that was wonderful.

those tubes are $145 US each. having watched that whole process i'm pretty sure that's a bargain.

Ghost

Oct 5, 2016, 1:25:43 AM10/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh if I have time and can wait a few days I order online from here.

http://www.acrylicsonline.com.au/

They are in inbred country (Queensland)

Cheers
Stephen

On Wed, October 5, 2016 15:46, Darryl Adams wrote:
> Oooh. Might make an order for a sheet for my Prusa Mk 3 next week....

Ghost

Oct 5, 2016, 1:28:37 AM10/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Ok the last line should be stricken from the record

Stephen

Darryl Adams

Oct 5, 2016, 2:12:16 AM10/5/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Ok. I will strike "Stephen" off the record....

Brett

Oct 5, 2016, 4:27:33 PM10/5/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
If you just mean a "standard" i3 (not the i3 Mk2) then I have a yet-to-be-serious-about-it-besides-buying-steppers intent to have an aluminium frame version made, which needs me to get (off my at$e and organise ) a waterjet cutter to cut the frame from Alu plate.  If you're interested, I could get a second one cut (which may decrease the total cost).  Oh and I probably have excess steppers on hand if you don't have.  Someone else pushing me to build could be a semi-motivator!

Matt Callow

Oct 5, 2016, 4:38:40 PM10/5/16
to robodino

I have some large sheets of 6mm clear  acrylic if anyone is interested.

Darryl Adams

Oct 5, 2016, 5:49:51 PM10/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Its Mk 2 as i ballsed up the frame of my first attempt using MDF....

Ghost

Oct 5, 2016, 7:10:40 PM10/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
For my first printer I built a 'rabbit hutch' and cable tied to to the
base so it would not flex and move about. also I put the filament roll on
the top (on a roller setup) and the filament passes by a cleaner before it
heads to the extruder.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Stephen

On Thu, October 6, 2016 08:49, Darryl Adams wrote:
> Its Mk 2 as i ballsed up the frame of my first attempt using MDF....
>

> On 06/10/2016 7:27 AM, "Brett" <brett...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> If you just mean a "standard" i3 (not the i3 Mk2) then I have a
> yet-to-be-serious-about-it-besides-buying-steppers intent to have an
> aluminium frame version made, which needs me to get (off my at$e and
> organise ) a waterjet cutter to cut the frame from Alu plate. If you're
> interested, I could get a second one cut (which may decrease the total
> cost). Oh and I probably have excess steppers on hand if you don't have.
> Someone else pushing me to build could be a semi-motivator!
>

> On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 15:46:55 UTC+11, Darryl Adams wrote:
>

>> Oooh. Might make an order for a sheet for my Prusa Mk 3 next week....

Tom Davies

Oct 6, 2016, 7:28:21 AM10/6/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs