Diffuser/transmissive plastic?

Patrick Barnes

Aug 26, 2017, 7:23:06 AM8/26/17
to Robots and Dinosaurs
I need to make an illuminated sign, I'm thinking from black perspex with cutouts and a lit chamber behind it.
To help support the letters, make the light more even, and seal the sign I want to glue something appropriate behind the front face. (So that light shines through it)

Any suggestions for something that's suitable and readily available, (in the space, or at a nearby store?) and at least 60x25cm?

-Patrick

andrewl

Aug 26, 2017, 7:42:18 AM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Contact adhesive film?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Patrick Barnes

Aug 26, 2017, 7:56:47 AM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
> Contact adhesive film?
Might work applied to a clear layer, depends just *how* diffuse it is.

The features are cut out of the front, somewhat like (but more complicated than) the below pic.
So it needs an extra bit of substrate stuck behind the front piece.

Jeremy Nelson

Aug 26, 2017, 9:02:37 AM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've used polcyarbonate sheets from Bunnings as diffuser for lighting very successfully:

I think it was something like this:

These were Ikea lamp shades which normally take a bulb but I replaced by cutting a diffuser disc, putting in 240V LED strips around the perimeter all held together by 3D printed clips that clipped on to the upper ring, and also held the LED strips and the diffuser disc. Turned out really well!

Jeremy.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 at 21:42 andrewl <and...@arcadius.com.au> wrote:
Contact adhesive film?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Patrick Barnes

Aug 26, 2017, 9:27:31 AM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice result!
Is it like foam-core paper or something?

Kris

Aug 26, 2017, 6:28:57 PM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
James can chime in, but opal perspex is used by sign makers. We have some at the space.
Here's some I used as a make up mirror.
Alternatively, baking paper also works really well.

Kris

Aug 26, 2017, 6:30:28 PM8/26/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
With image this time