Arduino and GPS Help

Mark Sullivan

Jan 6, 2017, 11:24:57 PM1/6/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi guys, are there any Arduino guru's available at the hacker space that could assist me with an Arduino / GPS project that I am trying to get working?

I have an SKM53 GPS module connected up to an Arduino Mega board and sample code off the internet to read the the encoded NMEA serial packets from the device ie via TinyGPS. I do get a lock and am able to read lat/long coordinates from the device that are certainly generally correct, but I cannot get the coordinates to change even when moving in any direction by approx 20 metres (tested on an open football field in Menai).

Regards

Mark Sullivan

tALSit de CoD

Jan 6, 2017, 11:29:54 PM1/6/17
to Robots&Dinosaurs
Hi there! TinyGPS is fairly decent last time I tried it, so it shouldn't be the problem. Can you read the NMEA stanzas directly using a serial port (eg: FTDI)? Do they change? Can you post your code up somewhere?

Mark Sullivan

Mark Sullivan

Jan 7, 2017, 12:31:42 AM1/7/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I am currently dumping the raw data packets to the serial monitor. The lat/long coordinates in the nmea packets change for about the 1st 20 seconds, then they stabilise. The lat/long cords in the packets remains constant, until I move more than 20 metres from the starting location. It seems that I am polling and decoding the packets correctly, I just don't seem to get the intended location accuracy that I expected. In comparison, I have used my iPad and a gps app in the same location and found that it reports the accuracy and consistency that I expected.

I am currently away on holidays, but as soon as I am back (next Monday) I will post up my code.

tALSit de CoD

Jan 7, 2017, 1:11:34 AM1/7/17
to Robots&Dinosaurs
That doesn't sound totally right, however, I've only ever used uBlox modules. It kinda sounds like a buffer is filling up and you're not emptying it, though I don't know what scenario it would make sense to have hardware do that...

On 7 Jan. 2017 14:31, "Mark Sullivan" <marksul...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am currently dumping the raw data packets to the serial monitor. The lat/long coordinates in the nmea packets change for about the 1st 20 seconds, then they stabilise. The lat/long cords in the packets remains constant, until I move more than 20 metres from the starting location. It seems that I am polling and decoding the packets correctly, I just don't seem to get the intended location accuracy that I expected. In comparison, I have used my iPad and a gps app in the same location and found that it reports the accuracy and consistency that I expected.

I am currently away on holidays, but as soon as I am back (next Monday) I will post up my code.

Julian Sortland

Jan 7, 2017, 3:07:59 AM1/7/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Each second of latitude is 30.87 metres.  A second of longitude is somewhat less this far south.

Julian.
Julian Sortland, ALIATec, VK2YJS, AG6LE.

Ph:  0429 470 672

123 North Street
OBERON  NSW  2787
AUSTRALIA

Darryl Adams

Jan 7, 2017, 2:30:06 PM1/7/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
But what is the accuracy of the module. I thought it was 1m since the first gulf war, or is it back to 10m?

Either way, you should get a change in reading if you move 11m....

Kris

Jan 7, 2017, 5:01:43 PM1/7/17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I think it's still 10, and even then that's when all conditions are perfect and you can see every satellite (not every satellite obviously but you know what I mean)

But what is the accuracy of the module. I thought it was 1m since the first gulf war, or is it back to 10m?

Either way, you should get a change in reading if you move 11m....

Madox

Jan 7, 2017, 8:08:04 PM1/7/17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Obvious question, the time and counter parts of $GPRMC is still increasing? (to rule out the buffer needs emptying thing)