OpenMV cam: cheap machine vision unit

kris

Jan 29, 2015, 1:01:33 AM1/29/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs
so i'm going to get this
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1898348310/openmv-cam-embedded-machine-vision?ref=category

blurb:

More than just a camera board, OpenMV Cam is a complete vision solution that uses a simple IDE, rapidly integrates into any hardware project, supports shields for expanded capabilities, and already has a community behind it.

  • Detect a face when someone is standing at your front door, take their photo, contact your smartphone, then ring the doorbell automatically;
  • Find a unique marker on your robot's charging station;
  • Use color detection to sort M&M's detect and collect colored balls;
  • Detect a landing zone object for your quadcopter/hobby UAV;
  • Record video from your UAV, Rover, Kite;
  • Take time lapse photos for security, science, and more;
  • Control Pan/Tilt servos to create an object tracker or foam dart sentry gun;
  • python
  • less than A$55 plus shipping

would anyone like one as well and we can buy the twin pack?
Or they have a 5 pack too.

less than A$55 plus shipping.

Kris

Madox

Jan 29, 2015, 4:16:12 AM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
I'm almost sure you can go for the 5 pack... :)
I'm in for 1

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Jan 29, 2015, 6:47:10 AM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

I am in if possible

Finnian Lattimore

Jan 29, 2015, 3:19:16 PM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Me too.

Kris

Jan 29, 2015, 3:30:34 PM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
One more person for the 5 pack
(Sing song voice) GaaaAAAv

I think I want to make robot that recognises a face then immediately tries to run around the person until it can't see the face.

I'd call him shy-bot.

Or possibly stalker-bot if I make him bigger... and arm him.

Rodney Berry

Jan 29, 2015, 3:45:35 PM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in too, althoughi think that's more than five now?

Rodney

Rodney Berry rodberry.net

Kris

Jan 29, 2015, 4:56:35 PM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Nope, that's 5
Rodney
Kris
Finn
Maddox
Sasha

I'll pledge the 5 pack, I'll send another email about payment once the kickstarter is successful

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Jan 29, 2015, 6:34:11 PM1/29/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

pledged.

lets hope the Australian dollar climbs back up before the project is successful.

postage was a nasty $47, and that's not even fedex.

On 30.01.2015 08:56, Kris wrote:

Nope, that's 5
Rodney
Kris
Finn
Maddox
Sasha

I'll pledge the 5 pack, I'll send another email about payment once the kickstarter is successful

Praetorian_TMOTC

Feb 1, 2015, 5:55:53 PM2/1/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
Feel like stretching for the 10 pack? I could go 2.

Praetorian_TMOTC

Feb 1, 2015, 5:57:29 PM2/1/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
Actually, I might see if the others at RoboDojo are keen first. Plenty of time to bump it up later. (Or we might just put our own order in if we get enough peoples)

Kris

Feb 1, 2015, 6:03:08 PM2/1/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I've already pledged, sorry, but if anyone thinks they missed out (I'm looking at you weekly digest reader) please make yourself known on this thread.

Kris

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Feb 25, 2015, 6:31:24 PM2/25/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

The OpenMV python machine vision unit was successfully kickstarted today.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/botthoughts/openmv-cam-embedded-machine-vision?ref=email

If you were one of the people listed below please can you deposit $73.90 Australian into my paypal account

ausp...@sleepingplanet.com

The cost for a 5 pack was $286 US dollars plus postage.

the Australian dollar has been going down since then and the postage was an uncomfortable $47 US dollars. I was debited $369.52 this morning.

If you have a US fund source please feel free to send me US$60.60 instead

Delivery will be August, but this is kickstarter remember.

Kind regards,

Kris

On 30.01.2015 08:56, Kris wrote:

Nope, that's 5
Rodney
Kris
Finn
Maddox
Sasha

I'll pledge the 5 pack, I'll send another email about payment once the kickstarter is successful

tALSit de CoD

Feb 25, 2015, 7:02:51 PM2/25/15
to Robots&Dinosaurs

Damm you! I ended up pledging $202 for this! I say "damm you" in a Madox manner. I pledged for 2 kits with LCD, breakout, and the whole lens set. I'd like to try doing fiducial hunting with it - it should be a fun project!

Madox

Feb 25, 2015, 9:37:52 PM2/25/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I say "damm you" in a Madox manner = Is that the most damning manner?

Kris - I'll cash you on Monday... or someone can offer to take my share now? :)

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Feb 26, 2015, 3:29:24 AM2/26/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
oh .... August ... =( So long, so long. Will transfer

tALSit de CoD

Feb 26, 2015, 3:35:09 AM2/26/15
to Robots&Dinosaurs

I know!!! I want it next week!!
That's the worst thing about successful Kickstarter campaigns, the wait!

kris

Jun 2, 2015, 5:20:12 AM6/2/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone,
It's getting closer to delivery with our OpenMV cam kickstarter.

The website is up an running with forums and (no) documents for your reading pleasure
https://openmv.io/

they are still adding stuff in so don't be surprised if a lot of the links take you back to the homepage.
The forums are running, but only 3 posts.

you can also see all the updates from their timeline

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/botthoughts/openmv-cam-embedded-machine-vision/updates

On 27/02/15 09:31, Aleksandr Motsjonov wrote:
You've got my portion.

Jonathan Louie

Jun 3, 2015, 7:56:17 PM6/3/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll have one as well if there's another 5 pack going

Madox

Sep 23, 2015, 7:57:47 PM9/23/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs, Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
Have you guys received this yet?  Will I be able to buy/borrow/steal one off someone to try something?

tALSit de CoD

Sep 23, 2015, 8:09:19 PM9/23/15
to Robots&Dinosaurs, Kr...@sleepingplanet.com

My understanding is that they will be doing at the end of Sept.

Kris

Sep 23, 2015, 8:10:41 PM9/23/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yup, and I think shipping to oz is going to be end of Oct realistically

Shervin Emami

Sep 24, 2015, 6:26:29 PM9/24/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
If you guys want to try one before the OpenMV is available, you could look for a "CMUcam", since it does similar things and has been around for many years so there are probably some older versions available from Australian vendors. The new model (CMUcam 5) is "https://www.adafruit.com/products/1906" but the older ones are probably still good enough to get started if you want to do projects that are suited to OpenMV.

Cheers,
Shervin.

Rodney Berry

Sep 24, 2015, 8:07:48 PM9/24/15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I have a CMUcam (forget which number) that I can lend for a month or so if you like.
I'm in Randwick.

Rod.

Rodney Berry rodberry.net

Madox

Sep 25, 2015, 6:05:33 AM9/25/15
to Robots & Dinosaurs, kr...@sleepingplanet.com
I have a Pixy already :) (CMUcam5)

Oddly enough I remember exactly when/where I ordered it ... (on a bus, at the airport...)

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Apr 6, 2016, 6:35:15 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

hello everyone,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/botthoughts/openmv-cam-embedded-machine-vision/posts/1540332

update 40 has been posted.

tl:dr good news: they will start shipping soon, hardware is being manufactured and the final image is being tweaked

bad news: they've run out of money and will need more to pay for shipping.

I bought a 5 pack for us and paid an uncomfortable $47 shipping, they are hinting at another $12

i'm unsure if this is each or for the 5 pack. We'll find out soon enough.

Just in case you've forgotton, from my notes they go to

Rodney (confirmed paid)

Kris (confirmed paid)

Finn (would you mind checking with your bank? nothing came in via paypal)

Madox (you hinted you paid cash)

Sasha (confirmed paid)

Kris

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Apr 6, 2016, 6:37:56 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Realities of Kickstarter (facepalm) ....

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Apr 6, 2016, 6:51:06 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

indeed*

it's still not clear why they didn't go back to the vendor with the rusty bga parts. i think they might have stored them incorrectly or perhaps the reality when buying for china is you can't really ring them up and say "these are bad, send more".

i think if they'd not had that issue they probably would've only been a few months late, rather than, realistically by the time we get them, a year overdue.

Still it's been really interesting and the updates have been detailed enough. I have hopes of a kickstarter one day and so far this is what i've learned:

use a manufacturing house.

add 50% to your ship date

minimum 200% rrp  over cost to manufacture.

don't opensource your design until after your product has shipped

everyone hates shipping, shipping costs, shipping time, shipping restrictions.

get your kickstarter campaign mentioned on reddit, imgur and hackaday.

Kris

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImgqhivLBw

shykitten55

Apr 6, 2016, 7:19:19 PM4/6/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs, Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
I am interested and looking at the interest 10 people doesn't look too difficult

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Apr 6, 2016, 7:40:47 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

updated

Rodney (confirmed paid)

Kris (confirmed paid)

Finn (confirmed paid)

Madox (assumed paid)

Sasha (confirmed paid)

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Apr 6, 2016, 7:49:27 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

it worked out at Au$73.90 in the end, robodojo may have some, but i think bot thoughts have some early versions (or late versions depending on how you look at it) in their store.

https://openmv.myshopify.com/

(go down to firesale, they are selling their prototypes to raise capital to send the kickstarter).

It's been so long i can't remember why i wanted one.

I think it was so i could count the chickens coming home at night.

ooOOO it could also look in the coop and tell me when an egg has been laid (shape detection).

Peter Hardy

Apr 6, 2016, 9:27:03 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Was it so you could tell if any chickens were caught in the coop door?

Iain Chalmers

Apr 6, 2016, 9:44:05 PM4/6/16
On 7 April 2016 at 11:26, Peter Hardy <pe...@hardy.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

Was it so you could tell if any chickens were caught in the coop door?

And turn the oven on to warm up?

;-)

big

--
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

Kris

Apr 6, 2016, 10:14:01 PM4/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Poor chick chicks!

kris

May 7, 2016, 6:59:29 PM5/7/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello OpenMv backers.
OK, they are [almost] ready to ship the boards, but they need more money:

http://openmv.myshopify.com/collections/kickstarter/products/ship-kickstarter-order

i've paid the Us$12 for the 5 pack we ordered. It still wasn't clear if they wanted 12 per board or per reward.

They should be here end of next month.

Pickup will be from the space, buy me a can of Coke Zero if you'd like to reimburse me the $12. If they come back and say its $12 per board we'll have another discussion.

Kind regards,

Kris

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

May 23, 2016, 8:20:02 PM5/23/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

are you excited!?

ARE YOU EXCITED?

you should be, our openmv cams are on their way

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tRef=fullpage&tLc=1&text28777=&tLabels=LZ879465481US

or at least, they are in a box with a shipping label on them.

or there is a box and it has a shipping label

anyway...

EXCITED.

Rodney Berry

May 23, 2016, 9:17:54 PM5/23/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Beside myself - after googling to remind myself what we backed on kickstarter all those moons ago...

interesting that the 'firesale' items cost the same as the pre-order new ones...

The various 'shields' look like fun too. I'm looking forward to playing with it!

Rod.

Rodney Berry rodberry.net

Madox

May 24, 2016, 5:38:52 AM5/24/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Very delayed response, I do vaguely recall handing around $50 to you for something, I think it was this but I can't be definitive as I couldn't find an email trail... But there wouldn't be one if I cashed you... Why I normally avoid cash... Do you remember?

I am very mildly excited...

Kris

May 24, 2016, 5:41:47 AM5/24/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't actually remember either but I choose to think it's paid.

On 24 May 2016 7:38:51 PM AEST, Madox <madox.net@gmail.com> wrote:
Very delayed response, I do vaguely recall handing around $50 to you for something, I think it was this but I can't be definitive as I couldn't find an email trail... But there wouldn't be one if I cashed you... Why I normally avoid cash...  Do you remember?

I am very mildly excited...

Praetorian_TMOTC

Jun 1, 2016, 5:16:06 AM6/1/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs, Kr...@sleepingplanet.com
Mine arrived today.

Kris

Jun 1, 2016, 6:02:26 AM6/1/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Yay

Rodney Berry

Jun 1, 2016, 5:18:59 PM6/1/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
:) so now we can start to accessorize?

http://openmv.myshopify.com/

Rodney Berry rodberry.net

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Jun 1, 2016, 5:56:45 PM6/1/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh, nice. I bought couple of different lenses during this wait period to play with raspberry pi cameras, but not I see it's exact mounting I have, so I will be able to use them.

kris

Jun 8, 2016, 3:34:27 AM6/8/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Rodney, Finn, Madox and Sasha
The box has arrived!

How to get yours:

If you know where i live and you can't wait, come and ring my doorbell before 7:30 tonight (and only tonight please).

If you are happy for me to leave it in the cabinet in the space let me know by replying to this thread

If you want to collect it in person from the space i will be there monday afternoon.

Kris

Rodney Berry

Jun 8, 2016, 4:40:59 AM6/8/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
HI Kris,
I'll try to come pick up on Monday, otherwise the cabinet is fine.
any idea what time you are likely to be there?

and was it $12 extra for th eshipping etc.?

Rod.

kris

Jun 8, 2016, 5:25:55 AM6/8/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I'l be there from about 11am on monday and will be staying late.
another keyholder might open earlier.

Aleksandr Motsjonov

Jun 8, 2016, 10:08:37 AM6/8/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Cabinet is fine by me. And yes, I don't remember if I payed those extra charges Rodney is talking about

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Jun 8, 2016, 6:24:57 PM6/8/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Sasha

it was $12 for all 5 so i'm just going to absorb that. Buy me a can of drink next time you see me if you'd like to..

Finnian Lattimore

Jun 8, 2016, 7:38:00 PM6/8/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kris,

Cabinet is fine for me. I'll come on Monday if I can defeat the viral hoards by then.

Finn

Madox

Jul 22, 2016, 10:01:00 PM7/22/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I am very slow reading these things... Would you be able to bring it to the space today?

kris

Jul 22, 2016, 11:12:30 PM7/22/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
yeah, i should be able to drop by.