master..sysdatabases problem

RobertS

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Hello,
I think this is indicating that your index does not match the entries
in sysdatabases. You might try dropping the indexes and recreating them.
Use sp_help sysdatabases to see what the current index schema is. Or
see if DBCC CHECKTABLE(sysdatabases) will resolve the issue.

Robert

Matteo Corti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have a lot of the following errors:
> 00:98/01/19 18:13:38.40 server Error: 913, Severity: 22, State: 2
> 00:98/01/19 18:13:38.40 server Could not find row in sysdatabases
> with database id 13. Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysdatabases.
> We do not have any DB with id 13 and if we do
> select * from master..sysdatabases
> we cannot see any row with this id.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matteo Corti
> matteo...@acm.org

RobertS

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

This is a strange problem. Since you say the errorlog is growing even
when the system is supposed to be idle, could the system possibly be
trying to recover a non-existing database? ( naahh! )Doesn't seem likely
unless the recovery peroid is set to a very high number of minutes. Have
you dropped any views lately? You might try recompiling all your stored
procedures/triggers. Is there any other relevant information in the
errorlog prior to the first 913 error? What platform are you running on?
What version of Sybase?

I'd reboot if possible.
Robert

Matteo Corti wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I have run DBCC CHECKTABLE but it says that is all ok.
> I have done a preliminary search on all the stored procedures to see if there is
> a reference on a no more existing database, but I have found nothing.
> The error occours more that 5 times per seconds, also at night when nothing
> should run. This is not a very big problem since the table is ok but our error
> log grows very fast.
>
> Matteo Corti
> matteo...@acm.org

Matteo Corti

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Matteo Corti

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Matteo Corti

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

there are no prior informations in the errorlog.
Sybase 11.1 on AIX.
We have already rebboted, then it was all ok for a couple of days, and than we had
again the same problem, but at the moment we cannot identify who was doing what when
the first error occurred.
Thanks

Matteo Corti
matteo...@acm.org

Mark A. Parsons

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

A fewideas ...

1) Do you have any references to dbid = 13 in sysusages? Just wondering
if you may have had a dbid = 13 entry at some time in the past but a
'drop database' command didn't clean up the system tables properly (or
maybe someone tried pulling a "Mark Parsons quick and dirty database
drop procedure" of deleting rows from system tables ... and forgot a
table??).

2) Have you run dbcc checkcatalog on the master database? checkcatalog
is suppose to check for consistency between system tables ... but I'm
not sure if this also refers to master-database-only tables such as
syslogins, sysdatabases, sysusages, etc.

3) Did you populate any of your databases by loading dumps from another
dataserver? If so, did/does that other dataserver have a database with
dbid = 13? If so, my guess is that you've got a stored proc, trigger or
view that was compiled with a cross-database reference to dbid = 13 ...
which could be causing a problem.

4) Can you track down who/what is generating the error in your log? If
so, can you step through, one command at a time, to see exactly what
command is generating the error?

5) Have you bounced your dataserver to see if clearing the dbtable
structures will get rid of this message? Just wondering if, maybe, you
did have a dbid = 13 database and for some reason, after dropping the
database, the dataserver's internal structures were not cleaned up
properly (it *has* been known to happen!!).

--

Mark Parsons
Iron Horse, Inc.

R Sitaraman

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

We are facing a similar problem.

00:98/01/16 17:21:47.34 server Error: 913, Severity: 22, State: 2
00:98/01/16 17:21:47.34 server Could not find row in sysdatabases with database
id 0. Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysdatabases.

This seemed to happen when we were deleting a row from a parent table with a record
still present in the child and a referential integrity from the child to the parent.

Regards,
Sitaraman

Renaud Tillens

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

Something obviosly went wrong ! Does it happen only when you boot the
SQL Server ? If not, you might have a problem with a table that
references sysdatabases. Did you drop a database, maybe using DBCC
DBREPAIR ? Maybe there's one or more records in syslogins, sysusages,
syslocks or sysprocesses with dbid still set to 13 ?

Richard Scranton

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

Look at sysusages to see if you have rows referring
to the mysterious database 13 there.

Matteo Corti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have a lot of the following errors:
> 00:98/01/19 18:13:38.40 server Error: 913, Severity: 22, State: 2
> 00:98/01/19 18:13:38.40 server Could not find row in sysdatabases
> with database id 13. Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysdatabases.
> We do not have any DB with id 13 and if we do
> select * from master..sysdatabases
> we cannot see any row with this id.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matteo Corti
> matteo...@acm.org

Richard Scranton, LDA Systems - <http://www.netcom.com/~scrantr/>

Joop Bruggink

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Or possibly the database was rebuild and reloaded therby getting a new
dbid, but some existing sprocs still refering to the old dbid.
Recompiling the sprocs should work.

/ Joop.B...@bigfoot.com /
/ Database & Client Server consultant /
/ Ordina Handel Distributie en Transport /
/ Vivaldiplantsoen 100, Postbus 3069 /
/ 3502 GB Utrecht /
/ The Netherlands /
/ tel: 030-2984333, fax: 030-2984212 /
A human being should be able to change a diaper,
plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship,
design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
R.A. Heinlein (as 'Lazarus Long')