Sybase Central cannot connect using iAnywhere JDBC driver

Robin

Aug 19, 2006, 3:51:25 AM8/19/06
Why cannot Sybase Central connect to DB using iAnywhere JDBC driver?

Notice that on the server (Win 2003) it can connect with both iAnywhere JDBC driver and jConnect 5 but on XP the same version of
Sybase Central connect only with jConnect (same DB).

ASA 9.0.2.3347
Sybase Central 4.3.0.2433

Thanks.

Greg Fenton

Aug 19, 2006, 11:24:33 AM8/19/06
Robin wrote:
> Why cannot Sybase Central connect to DB using iAnywhere JDBC driver?

What are the parameters you are providing to it?
What is the error message you are getting?

I use the iAnywhere JDBC driver exclusively, so it indeed can connect.

g.f
--
Greg Fenton
Some Random Dude

Robin

Aug 20, 2006, 3:53:26 AM8/20/06
I select an ODBC DSN in which are specified: user id, password and server name (the server is local);
nothing in the connection parameters field of "Advanced" pane of "Connect" windows.
Please notice that with other DBs it works.

The error message is "Sysbase Central Internal Error" and the detail starts with:
(please tell me if you need the entire error detail).

+-----------------+

| Stack Trace |

+-----------------+

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "[]" <<<<<<<< [] is an unmapped char

at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)

at com.sybase.asa.Server._init(Server.java:214)

at com.sybase.asa.Server.<init>(Server.java:155)

at com.sybase.asa.ASAConnection.createDatabaseFromConnection(ASAConnection.java:213)

at com.sybase.asa.plugin.Support.connect(Support.java:1455)

at com.sybase.asa.plugin.ASAPlugin.connect(ASAPlugin.java:167)

at com.sybase.central.viewer.ViewerManager.doConnect(ViewerManager.java:1898)

at com.sybase.central.viewer.ViewerManager.menuItemSelected(ViewerManager.java:1155)

at com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjToolBar.actionPerformed(ScjToolBar.java:140)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

+--------------------+

| Sybase Central |

+--------------------+

Sybase Central Version: 4.3.0.2433

Registered Plug-ins:

--------------------

Plug-in: Adaptive Server Anywhere 9

Plug-in Version: 9.0.2.3347

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\asaplugin.jar

Length: 4881263

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 14:08:06.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\Shared\jConnect-5_5\classes\jconn2.jar

Length: 847267

Timestamp: 2001-08-10 13:40:52.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\isql.jar

Length: 1018939

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 14:07:06.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\asa.jar

Length: 163294

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 14:03:32.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\Shared\java\JComponents142.jar

Length: 828878

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 14:03:22.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\xerces.jar

Length: 854256

Timestamp: 2004-09-10 14:36:48.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\xml4j.jar

Length: 10645

Timestamp: 2004-09-10 14:36:48.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\jlogon.jar

Length: 190928

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 14:03:28.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\debugger.jar

Length: 118312

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 14:08:08.0

Plug-in Classpath: C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\jodbc.jar

Length: 195136

Timestamp: 2006-07-22 12:59:24.0
(to be continued)

Greg Fenton

Aug 20, 2006, 11:36:13 AM8/20/06
Robin wrote:

> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "[]" <<<<<<<< [] is an unmapped char

This is just a guess, but it appears that the DSN contains some invalid
chars.

Try using the "dbdsn" utility to dump the contents of that DSN and see
if you have any obvious problem chars. If you aren't sure, feel free to
post the output:

dbdsn -gu YOUR_DSN_NAME (for a user DSN)
or
dbdsn -gs YOUR_DSN_NAME (for a system DSN)

Chris Irie

Aug 22, 2006, 10:18:15 AM8/22/06
Hi Robin,

Sybase Central is reporting internal error because the database to which you
are connecting is reporting a version number in an unexpected format. This
could happen if you inadvertently connected to an IQ database or a database
from some other vendor.

Please post the output from DBDSN as suggested in Greg Fenton's post.

It would also be instructive to see the output of DBPING as follows:

dbping -z -c "dsn=YOUR_DSN_NAME"

-- Chris Irie
iAnywhere Solutions

Robin

Sep 11, 2006, 4:41:04 AM9/11/06
Sorry for my late.

Here are the requested outputs:

Adaptive Server Anywhere Data Source Utility Version 9.0.2.3354
TestDB: UID=DBA;PWD=sql;ENG=TestDB;ASTOP=YES;INT=NO;DBG=NO;DMRF=NO;LINKS=SharedMemory,TCPIP{};COMP=No

Adaptive Server Anywhere Server Ping Utility Version 9.0.2.3354
Application information:
"HOST=MyPC;OS=Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 2;PID=0xc50;THREAD=0x3c0;EXE=C:\Programmi\Sybase\SQL Anywhere
9\win32\dbping.exe;VERSION=9.0.2.3354;API=DBLIB;TIMEZONEADJUSTMENT=120"
Attempting to connect using:
UID=DBA;PWD=********;ENG=TestDB;ASTOP=YES;DSN=TestDB;INT=NO;LINKS=TCPIP{}
Attempting to connect to a running server...
Trying to start TCPIP link ...

TCP using Winsock version 2.0
My IP address is 192.168.22.11
My IP address is 127.0.0.1
TCPIP link started successfully

Attempting TCPIP connection (address 192.168.22.11:49152 found in asasrv.ini cache)

Trying to find server at cached address 192.168.22.11:49152 without broadcasting
Found server, verifying server name
Found database server at address 192.168.22.11:49152
Found database server TestDB on TCPIP link
Connected using client address 192.168.22.11:1262
Connected to server over TCPIP at address 192.168.22.11:49152

Connected to ASA Engine version 9.0.2.3354
Client disconnected
Ping server successful.

Thanks and regards.

Robin