An error occurred during the TCPIP connection attempt

ns_dk...@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com

Apr 18, 2008, 9:07:03 AM4/18/08
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:07:02 -0400

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the subject error? The database
server has been running since late February with no known glitches, and
the Apache Tomcat 5.5.15 client that the following log snippet is from
had been running since mid-March. I got calls this AM that my users
couldn't get connected, and there were many copies of this error in the
Tomcat logs (along with the rest of a much larger stack trace; this is
just the first few lines of it). It started happening around midnight
last night, it looks like every user who tried to connect was hitting
this.

When I stopped and restarted Tomcat, without touching the db, everything
started working again.

When I looked at the db server with dbconsole, there were no errors
showing; just checkpoints and cache size adjustments.

Exception: java.sql.SQLException: [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server
Anywhere]Connection error: An error occurred during the TCPIP connection
attempt
java.sql.SQLException: [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]
Connection error: An error occurred during the TCPIP connection attempt
at ianywhere.ml.jdbcodbc.IDriver.makeODBCConnection(Native Method)
at ianywhere.ml.jdbcodbc.IDriver.connect(IDriver.java:387)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.wra.websira.WraDatabase.open(WraDatabase.java:70)

Dave
newsgroups if possible).

ns_dk...@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com

Apr 18, 2008, 9:22:52 AM4/18/08
Forgot to mention: running a 7.0.2.x db on a 9.0.2.3361 engine.

In article <48089cf7@forums-1-dub>,
ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com says...

Ian McHardy

Apr 18, 2008, 12:00:15 PM4/18/08
Add LOGFILE connection parameter to the connection string. The file
generated will have additional details.

--

Ian McHardy (Sybase iAnywhere)

Please reply only to the newsgroup.

<ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote in message

ns_dk...@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com

Apr 18, 2008, 12:50:37 PM4/18/08
In article <4808c58f@forums-1-dub>, mchardy_no@spam_ianywhere.com
says...

> Add LOGFILE connection parameter to the connection string. The file
> generated will have additional details.

Does that generate a lot of data? My app had been running continuously
for more than a month before this error popped up, and right now I have
no idea how to force it to appear...

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Apr 18, 2008, 3:52:14 PM4/18/08
No is is a relatively quiet debug switch. It does record information
about each connection and any error/warning activity that is unexpected.

To gain a sense of the amount, add it to the sample database DSN and
issue a test connection.

--

Chris Keating

Please only post to the newsgroup