Transaction log is missing and cannot start dB

Jim Reed

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
The Transaction log file is missing for a SQL Anywhere dB I need to use and
I cannot get the dB to start.

I attempted to use the DBENG50 -f command, but I get an Unknown Error -1.

Any Suggestions?

Jim Egan

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Try dbeng50 filename -O (that's an oh, not a zero and it must be upper
case). But before you do that check to see where the db engine thinks
the log file should be. If it's pointing to a drive/directory that
doesn't exist on your PC you'll never get the database to start until you
change the log location with DBLOG.EXE or the Sybase Central utility.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com

Enterprise Applications in Your Future?
JumpStart '99 Enterprise Solutions Conference
http://www.JumpStart99.com

David Fishburn

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
Using this switch is an absolute LAST RESORT.
This instructs the database to ignore the rollback log. This can leave your
data in an inconsistent state.

If it does manage to start the database, you should rebuild the database and
verify the data.

--
David Fishburn
Sybase

Breck Carter

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
Where is -O documented?

Breck

Jim Egan

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
It isn't. They don't normally tell you about it either because of the
negative result of using it. But for those developers that need the
positive result of it (the database starts) the negative aspect is easily
dealt with. But, we should be mentioning that any time -O is used that
the db is supposed to be rebuilt.

Breck Carter

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
OK, what is the full description of -O? (it sounds deliciously nasty)

Since the rollback log is stored in the .DB file, I don't see how
ignoring it will help solve a problem with the transaction log in the
.LOG file.

But I've never understood the checkpoint and rollback logs :)

Breck