ASA 8.0.3.5267 Assertion Failed: 100305

Juraj Nevesely

Aug 25, 2005, 8:36:27 AM8/25/05
I upgraded 8.0.3.5223 to 5267 and the validation utility is reporting an
error on all my databases:
Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 100305 (8.0.3.5267)
Is there any issue concerning 8.0.3.5267 validating?
Thank you.

Greg Fenton

Aug 26, 2005, 12:54:41 AM8/26/05

Not of which I am aware. Can you run validation on a *copy* of your
backup (the one you made just before applying the EBF) to see if it also
reports corruption?

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions

Juraj Nevesely

Aug 26, 2005, 3:42:48 AM8/26/05
Validation on a copy of backup made by 8.0.3.5223 - No errors detected.
Validation on a fresh backup after applying EBF - an error:
java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException: java.io.IOException:
JZ0EM: End of data.
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.ErrorMessage.raiseError(ErrorMessage.java:485)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.handleIOE(Tds.java:2966)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.nextResult(Tds.java:1802)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.getResultSetResult(Tds.java:2450)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.TdsCursor.open(TdsCursor.java:189)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybStatement.executeQuery(SybStatement.java:1474)
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybPreparedStatement.executeQuery(SybPreparedStatement.java:70)
at com.sybase.asiq.SQLQuery.open(SQLQuery.java:179)
at com.sybase.asiq.SQLQuery.open(SQLQuery.java:116)
at com.sybase.asiq.Database.validate(Database.java:1432)
at
com.sybase.asiq.plugin.ValidateDatabaseWizard.deploy(ValidateDatabaseWizard.java:77)
at
com.sybase.asa.ASABaseWizardDialogController.onWizardFinish(ASABaseWizardDialogController.java:36)
at
com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjWizardDialog.onWizardFinish(ScjWizardDialog.java)
at
com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjWizardDialog.actionPerformed(ScjWizardDialog.java)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjBaseDialog.showDialog(ScjBaseDialog.java)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjWizardDialog.render(ScjWizardDialog.java)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjDialogSupport.render(ScjDialogSupport.java)
at
com.sybase.asiq.plugin.ValidateDatabaseWizard.showDialog(ValidateDatabaseWizard.java:69)
at com.sybase.asiq.plugin.UtilitySetBO.startUtility(UtilitySetBO.java:100)
at com.sybase.asiq.plugin.UtilitySetBO.onCommand(UtilitySetBO.java:294)
at com.sybase.asiq.plugin.ASAActionItem.onCommand(ASAActionItem.java:61)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.DetailsList.handleListClick(DetailsList.java)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.DetailsList$1.mouseReleased(DetailsList.java)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

I had to unload/reload databases and exclude references to Java objects. If
I don't exclude references, unload/reload fails (there's no error message,
but it stops unloading).

"Greg Fenton" <greg.fent...@ianywhere.com> napísal v správe

Juraj Nevesely

Oct 10, 2005, 10:12:48 AM10/10/05
I still have problems with validating of one of my databases in 8.0.3.5267.
After the full rebuild of database which displayed no error, validation in
8.0.3.5267 displayed an error:

JZ006: Caught IOException: java.io.IOException: JZ0EM: End of data.
The server log displays:
*** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 102300 (8.0.3.5267)
File associated with given page id is invalid or not open
Validating the same database in 8.0.3.5191 displays no error.
There are 2 facilities:
1. EBF 5267 reports errors on a good database (problem is in EBF).
2. Database has an error which is detected only in EBF 5267.

"Juraj Nevesely" <ari...@funradio.sk> napísal v správe

Greg Fenton

Oct 10, 2005, 12:55:15 PM10/10/05
Juraj Nevesely wrote:
> I still have problems with validating of one of my databases in 8.0.3.5267.

This thread is more than a month old. I recommend that you contact
Sybase IQ Technical Support.

Greg Fenton

Oct 11, 2005, 3:08:08 PM10/11/05
Greg Fenton wrote:

> This thread is more than a month old. I recommend that you contact
> Sybase IQ Technical Support.

I just got some input from engineering on this thread.
There are a few issues with your post.

The first is that the stack trace shows that you are using the Sybase IQ
plugin. Sybase IQ has only ever shipped with the ASA 7.x or 9.x server,
not the 8.x server. Is it possible that you are either using the wrong
plugin or connecting to the wrong database server?

Though the use of the IQ plugin against an 8.0.3 server does not make
much sense (at least, not in my opinion) no query sent to an engine
should cause it to assert. Engineering believes that the assert is
being caused by the IQ plugin's attempt to open a cursor.

Would it be possible for you to enable Request Level Logging on the
8.0.3 server (e.g. start the engine with "-zr all -zo
c:\iq_requests.txt"), perform the same operation with the plugin that is
causing the crash, and submit both the request level log and the
offending .db file? You can either open a case via iAnywhere Technical
Support or using CaseXpress (http://case-express.sybase.com/)? The
Query Processing team is very interested in seeing the conditions around
this assertion.

Greg Fenton

Oct 12, 2005, 9:36:01 AM10/12/05
Juraj Nevesely wrote:

> I'm not using Sybase IQ plugin. Plugins I'm currently using are:
> Adaptive Server Anywhere 8, version 8.0.3.5267
> Mobilink Synchronization, version 8.0.0.2065 (I didn't upgrade 'cos I'm not
> using Mobilink anymore but plugin is still loading).

My fault. I saw "com.sybase.asiq...." in the stack trace and assumed
this was IQ. I have been informed that the package is actually shared
code between ASA and the IQ products.

> 10/11 23:49:35.746 ** REQUEST conn: 2 STMT_PREPARE "CALL sa_validate( NULL, NULL, 'FULL' )"
> 10/11 23:49:35.746 ** DONE conn: 2 STMT_PREPARE Stmt=65604
> 10/11 23:49:35.746 ** REQUEST conn: 2 STMT_DESCRIBE_OUTPUT Stmt=65604
> 10/11 23:49:35.748 ** DONE conn: 2 STMT_DESCRIBE_OUTPUT
> 10/11 23:49:35.748 ** REQUEST conn: 2 STMT_DESCRIBE_INPUT Stmt=65604
> 10/11 23:49:35.748 ** DONE conn: 2 STMT_DESCRIBE_INPUT
> 10/11 23:49:35.749 ** REQUEST conn: 2 DO_NOTHING
> 10/11 23:49:35.749 ** REQUEST conn: 2 CURSOR_OPEN Stmt=65604
> 10/11 23:50:12.662 ** ERROR conn: 2 code: -301 "Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 102300 (8.0.3.5267) File associated with given page id is invalid or not open -- transaction rolled back"

This is very interesting. Have you tried validating the database using
the "dbvalid" command-line utility to see if it validates fully?

You say this is a fully rebuilt ASA 8.x database (i.e. you unloaded the
old (7.x?) database and reloaded it into a newly created 8.x database)?

Can you try connecting using the "JDBC-ODBC bridge" setting in the
Advanced tab of the ASA plugin's connect dialog and do the validation
again? This is to see if the problem is with jConnect/TDS communication
(which is not "native" to ASA) vs. ODBC (which is native).

Sorry for the run-around in my previous post. But thank you very much
for the request level log.

Juraj Nevesely

Oct 12, 2005, 10:36:20 AM10/12/05
> This is very interesting. Have you tried validating the database using
> the "dbvalid" command-line utility to see if it validates fully?

Yes, the dbvalid also generates error which stops the db engine.
I have to say, the error started right after upgrading to EBF 5267 from EBF
5223.

> You say this is a fully rebuilt ASA 8.x database (i.e. you unloaded the
> old (7.x?) database and reloaded it into a newly created 8.x database)?

Yes, I used rebuild batch file from Sybase to fully rebuild the database.
After the error, I also tried unload utility in Sybase Central.

> Can you try connecting using the "JDBC-ODBC bridge" setting in the
> Advanced tab of the ASA plugin's connect dialog and do the validation
> again? This is to see if the problem is with jConnect/TDS communication
> (which is not "native" to ASA) vs. ODBC (which is native).

I don't know if I need to enter connection parameters. I just selected
JDBC-ODBC bridge on the advanced tab with no connection parameters entered.
Validation failed.

> Sorry for the run-around in my previous post. But thank you very much for
> the request level log.

I'm glad to help, we are dependent on ASA.

Greg Fenton

Oct 12, 2005, 11:48:14 AM10/12/05
Juraj Nevesely wrote:

> Yes, the dbvalid also generates error which stops the db engine.
> I have to say, the error started right after upgrading to EBF 5267 from EBF
> 5223.

Ah, great. This means we can stop looking into Sybase Central and focus
on the database file itself.

Would it be possible for you to open a case either with iAnywhere
Technical Support or via CaseXpress (http://case-express.sybase.com/)
and submit the .db file in question? Engineering has expressed an
interest in determining the cause of your assertion.

Thanks,

Juraj Nevesely

Oct 12, 2005, 12:23:29 PM10/12/05
> Would it be possible for you to open a case either with iAnywhere
> Technical Support or via CaseXpress (http://case-express.sybase.com/) and
> submit the .db file in question? Engineering has expressed an interest in
> determining the cause of your assertion.

The database has over 20MB after compression to RAR format. Can I submit it
anyway?

Juraj Nevesely

Oct 12, 2005, 12:53:48 PM10/12/05
> The database has over 20MB after compression to RAR format. Can I submit
> it anyway?

I had to divide the file into 2MB parts.
Case #11175753 open...

Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)

Oct 12, 2005, 1:31:38 PM10/12/05
While we are interested in determining if the problem is the result of a
defect in our software, you should be using your recovery plan to restore
this database.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

Joshua Savill

Oct 12, 2005, 3:59:59 PM10/12/05
This problem has already been resolved by engineering. This is the
description of the engineering fix:

=======(Build #5302 - Engineering Case #401948)==================

The corruption caused by the problem fixed in Engineering Case 383145 could
have been undetectable by database validation. Engineering Case 386569
attempted
to address this, but the change may have caused validation of non-corrupted
indexes to fail. This has been fixed. Validation of a database affected by
the corruption in Engineering Case 383145 is now detected properly and
results
in the error "Index 'index_name' on table 'table_name' has an invalid right
spine". This type of corruption should be fixed by rebuilding the index.

The database is not actually corrupt. I suggest upgrading to EBF 5302 or
higher when it is released.

Cheers,
--
Joshua Savill
iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <kea...@iAnywhere.com> wrote in
message news:434d47bb$1@forums-2-dub...

Juraj Nevesely

Oct 13, 2005, 3:18:12 AM10/13/05
Thank you for the answer, I will wait for a new EBF.

"Joshua Savill" <jsa...@ianywhere.com> napísal v správe