SQLA 9 Installation Problem(s)

Steven J. Serenska

Mar 4, 2006, 5:44:01 PM3/4/06
Hello all:

I had a system crash and had to install Windows 2000. When I
reinstalled, I lost all of my menus, so I decided to reinstall key
pieces of software, including SQLA.

I just installed a fresh version of SQLA 9.0. When I start Sybase
Central, I get the following error message:

"The Adaptive Server Anywhere 9 plug-in could not be loaded because it
uses components that are not accessible. Please change the class path
in the plug-in properties."

The details underlying this fairly unhelpful message are included below.
What is my next step?

I'm reluctant to completely uninstall SQLA, because I have the Run-Time
Edition on the HD and I need to keep it around. Unfortunately, I can't
put my finger on the Run-time CD that I purchased.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Steven J. Serenska

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sybase/central/SCProvider3
at
com.sybase.central.viewer.SCClassLoader.findClass(SCClassLoader.java:182)

at
com.sybase.central.viewer.ProviderEntry.loadProvider(ProviderEntry.java:495)
at
com.sybase.central.viewer.ScjViewerSupport.initialize(ScjViewerSupport.java:716)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.SybaseCentral.run(SybaseCentral.java:153)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.SybaseCentral.main(SybaseCentral.java:231)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.SCLoader.callMethod(SCLoader.java:207)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.SCLoader.main(SCLoader.java:107)

Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]

Mar 4, 2006, 6:14:20 PM3/4/06
Check Sybase Central - Tools - Plug-ins - Adaptive Server Anywhere 9 -
Properities - Plug-in classpath:

The value for a default installation is this:

C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\asaplugin.jar

Is that value set?

Is the file at that location?

When you installed SQL Anywhere, was Sybase Central checked for
installation?

Breck

On 4 Mar 2006 14:44:01 -0800, "Steven J. Serenska"
<sjs@RemoveTheseWordsAndTheUnderscore_trainMinder.com> wrote:

--
Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services

Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]

Mar 4, 2006, 6:17:45 PM3/4/06
When I mess up the classpath on my setup, I get a different message...

=====
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sybase.asa.plugin.ASAPlugin
=====

You get this...

=====
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sybase/central/SCProvider3
=====

Are you trying to launch the Sybase Central that was installed with
SQL Anywhere 9, or some other (older?) version?

Breck

On 4 Mar 2006 14:44:01 -0800, "Steven J. Serenska"
<sjs@RemoveTheseWordsAndTheUnderscore_trainMinder.com> wrote:

Steven J. Serenska

Mar 6, 2006, 8:48:39 AM3/6/06
Breck:

I solved the problem by preserving an image of the old installation,
completely uninstalling, and completely reinstalling. At one point, I
re-added the files that I knew to be needed by the Runtime License
(e.g,. RTEng9.exe) and the 9.0.0 ==> 9.0.2 update picked them up, as did
the last EBF I applied.

So all is well.

In case you're curious, the answers to your questions are:

> The value for a default installation is this:
>
> C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\java\asaplugin.jar
>
> Is that value set?

Yes, that value was set, as verified on Tools -> Plug-Ins -> Properties
-> Plug-in Classpath.

> Is the file at that location?

Yes, it was. I had checked in Windows Explorer.

> When you installed SQL Anywhere, was Sybase Central checked for
> installation?

Yes. This was all very frustrating. Everything was where it was
supposed to be.

> When I mess up the classpath on my setup, I get a different message...
>
> =====
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sybase.asa.plugin.ASAPlugin
> =====
>
> You get this...
>
> =====
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sybase/central/SCProvider3
> =====
>
> Are you trying to launch the Sybase Central that was installed with
> SQL Anywhere 9, or some other (older?) version?

Everything I had was installed with SQLA 9. My theory is that some key
component needed by SQLA/SC was located in the Windows or
Windows/System32 folders. These were wiped out during the reinstall on
my machine following the corruption (caused by Norton AV). Everything
else relating to SQLA was exactly as it was installed originally. Does
this make sense?

My assumption was that reinstalling everything to the same folders would
simply undo the problem. It didn't. I had to do a full software
uninstall of SQLA (via the Control Panel), and then install the versions
beginning with 9.0.0 and moving forward.

Again, all is working and I'm simply providing the above in case it
helps solve the next guy's problem.

Thanks for your help.

Steven J. Serenska