Add to source control

Martin Roy

Jan 29, 2008, 2:14:24 PM1/29/08
Hello there, I hope someone can help me on this one.

We have a big problem with our Source control since we migrated our apps to
PB11.

"target-wide" add to source control won't work.... but other ways will work
( rhmb on the object or on the PBL )
the target-wide will faill 100% of the time for all programers ....

this is the error message I have if I right-click on the target for my "add
to source control"

---------- Source Control
Adding selected items to source control...
PB Native Status: Adding C:\Dev\SCCTest\scctest.sra...
PB Native Status: Checking out C:\Dev\SCCTest\scctest.pbg...
PB Native Status: Adding C:\Dev\SCCTest\scctest.pbg...
Access to SCC Provider failed during SccAdd(). Try again.
Error checking in .PBG file. Verify that new entries are correct and check
in .PBG file manually.
C:\Dev\SCCTest\scctest.sra version 1 successfully added to source control
Operation Completed
---------- Done Source Control

and this is the success message I see when I right-click directly on the
object and select "add to source control"

---------- Source Control
Adding selected items to source control...
PB Native Status: Adding C:\GaragaDev\SCCTest\scctest.sra...
PB Native Status: Checking out C:\GaragaDev\SCCTest\scctest.pbg...
PB Native Status: Checking in C:\GaragaDev\SCCTest\scctest.pbg...
C:\GaragaDev\SCCTest\scctest.sra version 1 successfully added to source
control
Operation Completed
---------- Done Source Control

Can someone help ?

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

Jan 29, 2008, 7:49:54 PM1/29/08
The strange thing in your setup is the C:\Dev vs. C:\GaragaDev folders.
Which one is the local root folder of the workspace?

When it works from the object level, do other developers see the status
change when they do a "Refresh Status"? They won't also have to register
the object themselves - only one person needs to do this for any single
object. Once it's registered, you never have to do it again, even on
different workstations.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

"Martin Roy" <martin.roy...@garaga.com> wrote in message

Martin Roy

Jan 30, 2008, 8:41:23 AM1/30/08
Thanks Paul for answering,

Both are local root folders, but for two different projects I tried. our
project folder is on the LAN and this setup works fine for checkin/checkouts
and "remove from scc".
When we "add" at object level, all other developers will get the new object
with their next "get latest..."
so it's true that they don't have to register "this one" again.
but the problem is that they can't add "any" other object to scc if they
right-click on the target
but they will succeed if they do it by right-clicking on every single object
they want to add.

I'm wondering why right-clicking on the target (and selecting the object)
would be different than right-clicking on the object itself ?

I also looked at the scc outputs below and saw that everything is the same
up to the PBG checkout.
then after that instead of checking it IN, PB Native tries "Adding
scctest.pbg" to the repository...

I think that could be the source of my problem since when we right-click on
the object, it just check the PBG back in and everything works fine.

Thanks for helping !

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message
> The strange thing in your setup is the C:\Dev vs. C:\ > Which one is the

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

Jan 30, 2008, 9:54:54 AM1/30/08
Are the targets themselves registered to PBNative? If not, do that and try
again.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

"Martin Roy" <martin.roy...@garaga.com> wrote in message

Martin Roy

Jan 31, 2008, 8:57:41 AM1/31/08
The target is already registered,

I would think the problem resides is an action that PB Native performs only
when do "target-wide" add's but I can't get a hand on any doc about this
process.

any DLL/Registry/PB.INI config that can't be wrong ?

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message

Jeremy Lakeman

Jan 31, 2008, 6:48:53 PM1/31/08
On Jan 31, 11:57 pm, "Martin Roy" <martin.royREMOVET...@garaga.com>
wrote:

> The target is already registered,
>
> I would think the problem resides is an action that PB Native performs only
> when do "target-wide" add's but I can't get a hand on any doc about this
> process.
>
> any DLL/Registry/PB.INI config that can't be wrong ?

Do you have each pbl in its own folder?

Have you tried refreshing the status of a pbl (by expanding it in the
system tree) then do a get latest on the target?
I wan't to know if the behaviour is the same after you have queried
the status of other objects in that folder..

My guess is that the behaviour of the SCC dll might be different for
the first operation on a folder.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

Feb 1, 2008, 10:12:02 AM2/1/08
Have you done a scan on the machines for duplicate copies of the PB*.DLL
files? That's typically the cause of many "Access to SCC Provider failed"
messages...

Do you have other versions of PB installed as well, or are you only PB11?

> Hi again !
>
> Same error when I do a refresh status before,
> but I saw that error message :
>
> Access to SCC Provider failed during SccGetLatest(). Try again.
> Error detected while getting PBG files.
>
> Am I wrong thinking these two errors may be related ?
>
> the attached file should provide you a lot of information since it
> includes all the steps I did to reproduce the error from a brand new
> application.
>
> Thanks again, really appreciate the time you spend on our problems !

Martin Roy

Feb 1, 2008, 11:00:13 AM2/1/08
I just tried removing (and backing-up) all PB__100.DLL and PB__105.DLL
and also the folder \Powerbuilder\DotNet since it contained some duplicated
DLL.
I searched duplicates for PB*.DLL and also *.dll in \Sybase\ folder.
I restarted and tried again.....same error.
This is really annoying and confusing.

fyi : PBVM110.DLL and PBNAT110.DLL version is 11.1.0.8123
Could any other DLL be implied in the process ?

"Martin Roy" <martin.roy...@garaga.com> wrote in message

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

Feb 1, 2008, 1:17:56 PM2/1/08
The actual DLL that PB Native will be using can be found in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sybase\PowerBuilder\11.0\Native SCC\SCC Server
Path

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

"Martin Roy" <martin.roy...@garaga.com> wrote in message

Martin Roy

Feb 5, 2008, 4:56:46 PM2/5/08
I tried changing the SCC Library for PBNAT105.DLL and PB10 as well... but
it's still the same.... so I guess this DLL doesn't have anything to do with
that....
I opened a case with Sybase on last week.... with no answers up to now but I
keep holding on!

Does anyone know of any other setting I could try up to that time ?

I'll post here when I have an answer from Sybase.

Thanks a lot.

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message

Roland Smith [TeamSybase]

Feb 6, 2008, 3:06:15 PM2/6/08
Open Regedit and find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders

There should be a string value called 'PB Native'

If the latest version you installed was PB11, the data value should be:

Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\11.0\Native SCC

This is the key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE that the provider settings are
found.

Now find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYBASE\PowerBuilder\11.0\Native SCC

There will be a string value called 'SCCServerPath'. The data value will be
the full file name of the SCC API library. For PB11 it is PBNAT110.DLL.

Most people don't realize that PB Native is not dependant on a specific
version of PB. You can run the PB10 version with PB11 if you want. Just
change the part of the data value for 'PB Native' under
InstalledSCCProviders that specifies the version number.

Better yet, create separate keys with names 'PB Native 10' and 'PBNative 11'
and put the appropriate data value on them. Now in PB the provider dropdown
will show both versions and you will be able easily switch between the two
to see if there is a difference.