Application Execution Error

larrycombs

Sep 21, 2009, 9:35:43 AM9/21/09
We are trying to do an upgrade from PowerBuilder 10.5 to
11.5 and a lot of our users are getting the following
errors.

Error #1:

PowerBuilder Application Execution Error (R0002)
Application Terminated
Error: Null object reference at line 1 in system error event
of object q32app.

Error #2:

PowerBuilder Application Execution Error (R0011)
Application Terminated
Error: Object file n_tr is out of date, must be converted to
current version at line 4 in create event of object q32app.

The machines that we are having problems with are running
the Vista OS on the client. We have two other groups that
are running the application on NT 2003 and they are not
experiencing any problems.

Does anyone have similiar problems? Anyone have any
suggestions? Ever since we have been migrating to the Vista
OS we have had problems on the client side upgrades.

Thank you.

Chris Pollach

Sep 21, 2009, 9:55:08 AM9/21/09
Hi Larry;

1) N_TR is a PFC object.
- Did you download the PB 11.5.x PFC libraries?
2) I have been running the PB 11.0 through 11.5.1 IDE and their compiled
applications on Vista with no problems for over a year.
- Can you tell us more about your environment?
(I am on SP2 of Vista).

--
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director

larrycombs

Sep 21, 2009, 11:50:44 AM9/21/09
Chris:

We did an upgrade to PB 11.5 with the CD and then got the
updates. We then created an MSI file which was pushed to a
couple of 'test' machines that had Vista and had no
problems. One of them did not have an existing copy of the
app.

We think that there might be something with Vista for the
following reasons:

If we push the application to a Vista machine that has
never had it, the app will run just fine.

If we create a new profile for an individual that is
having the problems and then push that app to that machine
the app will run fine.

We are not having any problems with XP at all.

Thanks.

Chris Pollach

Sep 21, 2009, 12:55:22 PM9/21/09

Is this a Win32 or a .NET Winform EXE?

larrycombs

Sep 21, 2009, 2:01:40 PM9/21/09
Chris:

No, it is not a dot.net. It is win32.

Thanks

Chris Pollach

Sep 21, 2009, 2:37:36 PM9/21/09

I wonder if its because the PBVM run time DLL's are not being replaced on
the machines that already have the application?
Where are these files stored in your deployment?

larrycombs

Sep 21, 2009, 3:03:22 PM9/21/09
We created a new MSI in which we renamed the app. We had
some problems like this ever since most of our customers
have had their machines upgraded to Vista. We are wondering
if it has something to do with the 'Shadow Copy' feature for
Vista. The reason being is that when we do a 'push' the
desktop icon gets changed to the new version of the app but
it points to the old version of the app.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

larrycombs

Sep 21, 2009, 3:11:04 PM9/21/09
Chris:

Please see my last post. In the past we always pushed the
files out to the same directory and would just overwrite
them, that was with XP of course. But, ever since the
machines started getting upgraded to Vista we have been
having these problems. It's like Vista won't recognize the
new files. We have even started pushing them to their own
individual folders for each release, i.e. 7_1_3 or 7_1_4.
But, again, Vista still appears to get the files from the
7_1_2 release.

Thanks

Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]

Sep 21, 2009, 4:15:56 PM9/21/09
You can get a free utility at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx that will tell
you what DLLs are loaded, from which libraries, and what versions.

--
Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
Product Enhancement Requests:

Terry Voth [TeamSybase]

Sep 21, 2009, 10:26:50 PM9/21/09
IME, an out of date transaction object is usually an indication that
the IDE wasn't connected to a database during a migration or a full
build.

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated June 25/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=

Jeremy Lakeman

Sep 22, 2009, 1:59:01 AM9/22/09
So to summarise, the machines that fail are loading the PB10.5
compiled pbd which n_tr is in instead of the PB11.5 compiled pbd.

I'd start by comparing the size / modified date of the pbd's in the
application directory, then move on to examining the system and
application paths on these machines. I'd also suggest reading up on
the searchpath function and it's slightly different behaviour on
vista.

Ivaylo Ivanov

Sep 23, 2009, 5:41:17 AM9/23/09
Any functionality within the application which is switching the current
directory to something previously saved for the user?
For example: DW export to a file, PSR viewing, import from file etc...