DBMS Not Supported in current installation

rfalagan

Oct 2, 2008, 11:43:43 AM10/2/08
Deployed PB11.2 to Windows Vista Client ( for the first
time )vs Sql Server 2000 Database. Using OLE DB driver.

SQLCODE = 999
SQLERRTEXT = dbmSs not supported in curent installation

I receive no errors in Windows XP. The appliaction runs fine
on Windows XP Professional Client.

Any suggestions. Thanks

M. Searer

Oct 2, 2008, 12:00:34 PM10/2/08
did you install the sql server client from the microsoft sql server installation?

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Oct 2, 2008, 12:33:44 PM10/2/08
Is this the exact message? If so, the transaction object DBMS property
is not populated.

If the message is different, please post the exact message -- to do so,
make the message dialog the active window and press Ctrl+C. This will
copy the text and allow you to paste into this thread.

The following is an example of that:

---------------------------
Connect Error
---------------------------
(SQLCODE 999) DBMS is not supported in your current installation.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

--

Chris Keating

Please only post to the newsgroup

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
Maintenance releases and EBFs
http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
Use Case Express to report bugs
http://case-express.sybase.com

rfalagan

Oct 2, 2008, 1:24:35 PM10/2/08
Yes it is the exact message. I pick it up from the Errtext
property of SQLCA.

The DBMS property is populated with 'OLE DB'. I have the
application read it from the registry. It works fine on
Windows XP Clients.

The I have MS Sql client ntwdblib.DLL in the PB
application's directory.

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Oct 2, 2008, 1:37:17 PM10/2/08
Did you verify that the transaction object DBMS entry *is* populated at
the time of the connection? This error in this format *only* occurs when
the DBMS property is empty in my experience. If populated, the error
would be reported as

---------------------------
Connect Error
---------------------------
(SQLCODE 999) DBMS OLE DB is not supported in your current installation.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

and there would be either a missing PB OLEDB database interface file or
missing support software for OLEDB either at the system level or driver
level.

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Oct 2, 2008, 2:00:16 PM10/2/08
The ntwdblib.dll is not an OLEDB provider. It is the DBLIB interface
that was deprecated in MSS6.5. The PB MSS 6.5 native driver requires
that file. The OLEDB driver requires a MSS OLEDB provider. One such
provider is SQLOLEDB.

rfalagan

Oct 3, 2008, 9:52:23 AM10/3/08
It works on windows XP installations. Just in case I
installed the Sql Server 2000 Client to make sure the
necessary DLLs reside on the client computer. Still does
not work with Vista.

Scott Morris

Oct 3, 2008, 10:11:41 AM10/3/08
<rfalagan> wrote in message news:48e62397.742...@sybase.com...

> It works on windows XP installations. Just in case I
> installed the Sql Server 2000 Client to make sure the
> necessary DLLs reside on the client computer. Still does
> not work with Vista.

Refer to Chris' other post. Your error only occurs when the application has
not set the dbms value of the transaction prior to connecting. You
indicated that your application reads the connection values from the
registry. Did you realize that MS has tightened the security for the
registry in Vista? I think some basic debugging in your registry access and
transaction population logic is needed at this point for anyone to provide
any useful suggestions.

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Oct 3, 2008, 10:26:27 AM10/3/08
You still have not confirmed that you have verified that the DBMS value
*is* in fact populated. If do so will an debug function that displays
the transaction object properties that are of interest. Here is an
example function:

public string f_debug_transaction_properties
value transaction trans
value boolean displayMsg
value string msgBoxTitle

string msgText

msgText = "DBMS:~t" + trans.dbms
msgText = msgText + "~n"
msgText = msgText + "DBParm:~t" + trans.dbparm

if displayMsg then MessageBox( msgBoxTitle, msgText )

return msgText

I would generally invoke this function (conditionally) as follows (lines
are wrapped for posting)

if debug then
f_debug_transaction_properties(
sqlca,
true,
"Transaction object properties"
)
connect using SQLCA;
end if

rfalagan

Oct 3, 2008, 1:26:08 PM10/3/08
I just confirmed that the values for DMBS and rest of SQLCA
properties that I read from registry are BLANK.

Turns out that the Windows Vista installed on the PC is the
64 Bit version. PowerBuilder's function RegistryGet is
returning blanks... I don't think it supports > 32 Bit
systems

Chris Pollach

Oct 3, 2008, 2:12:22 PM10/3/08

Correct ... Even the new PB 11.5 is still 32Bit and thus is forced by the
O/S to read from the 32bit Registry area - whereas, when you use RegEdit64
(I would imagine) you are looking at the 64bit area by default.

--
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Oct 3, 2008, 2:46:48 PM10/3/08
Configuration data related to 32-bit applications is stored in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432node registry hive.