jconnect5.2, msSQL server problems

Olivier Popppon

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00

My environment is the following:
I have the whole sybase suite (Jaguar 3.5, powerbuilder, power J....I
just don't remember the name of the whole package), MSSQL Server 7.0.

I have a simple program I use to test the connection using jConnect5.2
that does not work

String url = "jdbc:sybase:Tds:localhost:1433/<mydatabase name>";

DriverManager.registerDriver((Driver)

Class.forName("com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver").newInstance());
driver = DriverManager.getDriver(url);
Properties props = new Properties();
props.put("user", <login>);
props.put("password", <password>);
cx = driver.connect(url, props);

I have configured the registry, this way:
in RPCprotocols, I have created the key REG_MULTI_SZ with value the
string ncacn_ip_tcp,1433

When I run the program, I have the following exception:

java.sql.SQLException: JZ0C0: Connection is already closed.
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.ErrorMessage.raiseError(ErrorMessage.java:436)
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.checkConnection(SybConnection.jav
a:1486)
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.getWarnings(SybConnection.java:90
4)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.doLogin(Tds.java:496)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.tds.Tds.login(Tds.java:350)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.tryLogin(Compiled Code)
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.regularConnect(SybConnection.java
:190)
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.<init>(SybConnection.java:169)
at
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnection.<init>(SybConnection.java:122)
at com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver.connect(SybDriver.java:175)
at TestRow.getJDBCConnection(TestRow.java:118)

I have seen in this forum some people mentionning DirectConnect when
using MSSQL Server.
Is this my problem ?
If yes, what is it exactly ?

THanks,

Olivier

Ryan Lubke[SYBASE]

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Hello Oliver,

The problem here, in a nutshell, is that the TDS that we use differs from
that the MSSQL 7.0 uses, so you're probably not going to get a connection
with our JDBC driver directly to MSSQL 7.0. If you wish to use our driver
to connect to MSSQL 7.0 then you will need to get another piece of
middleware called DirectConnect for Microsoft SQLServer.

DirectConnect support for MSSQL 7.0 will not be available until version 12.0
comes out sometime this quarter. One other point is that there will be no
database metadata only result set metadata.

Regards,

Ryan Lubke

"Olivier Popppon" <olivier...@net-commerce.co.uk> wrote in message