Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5

joel...@gmail.com

May 22, 2006, 10:16:28 AM5/22/06
Hi All,

We had Sybase System 11 driver on a Windows 2000 server. Recently we
upgraded the driver to Sybase ASE version 12.5 along with a hotfix.
After the upgrade I need to add "IF=C:\sybase\ini\sql.ini" in the
connection string. Additionally, the system returns the error below.

"Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5 (Sybase
ASE ODBC Driver)"

The error is probably related to security. My temperory workaround is
to assign the IIS user to "Administrators" group. However, I am still
looking for a better solution. I tried granting the IIS user
read/execute access for the whole C drive and it didn't help. Both
Windows and Sybase driver are installed on C drive.

My driver version is: Sybase ASE ODBC Driver, version 5.00.00.34, Date
8/31/2004.
Here is my connection string: DRIVER={SYBASE ASE ODBC
Driver};UID=xxxxxx;PWD=xxxxxx;IF=C:\sybase\ini\sql.ini;SRVR=devserver;DB=SECTST;SM=0

Thanks,
Joel

tonewhee...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 9:39:29 AM5/26/06
Well you answered your own question, really. Error 5 on windows is
'access denied', meaning that the username trying to load the
driver/library/dll does not have access to it. A good way of tracking
these things down is using the 'filemon' utility from sysinternals.com
which will track the file access (both successful and unsuccessful).
Then you just need to look carefully at the username ASE is running
under and the ACL applied to the problem file.