unable to connect to Sybase 15.0 using AseClient

Jesse

Apr 12, 2009, 9:23:12 PM4/12/09
Hello,

I have a client app coded in C# that connects to Sybase ASE using
Sybase.Data.AseClient.dll. During development, I run both client and
server on the same machine. This worked fine when the OS was XP.

But recently I upgraded my development machine, now it's running Vista
and I can no longer connect to the server using AseClient.

I get this error when I call AseConnection.Open():

Client unable to establish a connection
Sybase.Data.AseClient.AseException
at Sybase.Data.AseClient.AseConnectionPool.GetConnection
(AseConnection conn)
at Sybase.Data.AseClient.AseConnection.Open()

Here is my server version (this is what I get when I run "select
@@version" in isql)

'Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0/EBF 12783 GA/P/NT (IX86)/Windows
2000/ase150/2158/32-bit/OPT/Fri Aug 19 18:42:50 2005'

Here's the connection string I am using:

Data Source=SPRING;Port=5000;Database=pubs2;Uid=sa;pwd=*********;

Here's my OS (both client and server are running on same machine)

Windows Vista Business build 6001 SP1

I can connect to the server just fine in Sybase Central, so I know the
server is running and working. I think Sybase Central uses jdbc
libraries to talk to the server. For this project though, I can't use
jdbc.

I've done searches on this topic but haven't come up with anything
that works.

I also tried the C# samples in the sybase\DataAccess\ADONET\Samples
\CSharp dir. These all fail with the same error "Client unable to
establish a connection".

thanks for reading, any help much appreciated!

Paul Vero [Sybase]

Apr 13, 2009, 3:19:08 PM4/13/09

On your client machine I assume this was the machine
upgraded from xp to vista?

Can you ping the ase host (SPRING)? Perhaps the
client is unable to locate this machine.

-Paul

"Jesse" <goo...@jessehersch.fastmail.fm> wrote in message

Jesse

Apr 14, 2009, 10:10:04 AM4/14/09
The client is a brand new machine with vista, not upgraded from XP.

ping works just fine from the client (which is not surprising since
client==server in this case):

c:\>ping SPRING

Pinging SPRING [fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12] from
fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12: time<1ms
Reply from fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12: time<1ms
Reply from fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12: time<1ms
Reply from fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12:

Jesse

Apr 14, 2009, 11:53:39 PM4/14/09
Paul,

any other ideas? Is AseClient not supported on Vista? Surprising if
not - it's been out for a while, you can hardly buy a new pc that
doesn't have it...

Jesse

Paul Vero [Sybase]

Apr 16, 2009, 1:48:48 PM4/16/09
Hi Jesse,

I think it's the IPv6. Do you have IPv4 enabled on the machine?
I don't know if we support IPv6 yet on the drivers. I have 32 and 64 bit
Vista machines
using IPv4 and IPv6. My connections work.

Check the properties on your network card - I think IPv4 is disabled - if
you enable it
the connection probably will work - I think this applies even if on local
machine (client to server)

-Paul

"Jesse" <goo...@jessehersch.fastmail.fm> wrote in message

Paul Vero [Sybase]

Apr 16, 2009, 2:36:50 PM4/16/09
Also - try ping -4 SPRING and use the IPv4 address to see if connection
works - use this address in the server field.

-Paul

Paul Vero [Sybase]

Apr 16, 2009, 2:35:42 PM4/16/09
Hi Jesse,

It should work - but does your machine have the ASE configured for IPv6?
You should have DNS capable of resolving the hostname for IPv6.

In my situation, my vista has both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled BUT, my domain,
with DNS
is only IPv4 capable, so I need to use the IPv4 address to the ASE host,
since I have
no way to resolve the name with IPv6.

Make sense? Usually on ASE you provide a dual IP stack - one for IPv4 and
the other for IPv6
using same port. The Provider should support the IPv6. What version of
Provider?

-Paul

Jesse

Apr 17, 2009, 1:16:36 AM4/17/09
Paul,

right on about the IPv6. YOU ROCK.

If I use the IPv4 address in the connection string instead of the
hostname, then it works! that is, I used this:

Data Source=192.168.1.3;Port=5000;Database=pubs2;Uid=sa;Pwd=*****

It would be nice to know how I can use the hostname instead, but I'll
take this as it's working! :)

I am not on a domain - just a workgroup as this is my home devbox. Is
there a knob I can turn on ASE to enable IPv6?

The network connection has both IPV6 and IPV4 enabled. Here's the
output of ipconfig:

c:\Projects>ipconfig

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Here's the output of ping -4 SPRING:

c:\Projects>ping -4 SPRING

Pinging SPRING [192.168.1.3] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.3:

The version of Sybase.Data.AseClient.dll I am using is: 1.15.50.0.
Same goes for sybdrvado115.dll.

Thanks for your help!

Jesse

Neal Stack [Sybase]

Apr 17, 2009, 10:26:39 AM4/17/09

Paul Vero [Sybase]

Apr 17, 2009, 12:12:42 PM4/17/09
Hi Jesse,

Try what Neal suggests on ASE. Also - the Provider you have is really old -
you should look
into upgrading to the SDK 15.0 ESD#18 release. I'm curious to find out if
your connection
will then work with IPv6. On my system, a test setup, I can't connect
unless I use the IPv4 ip address.
If I use hostname I can't connect (though ISQL does). I have latest
provider (in this case I'm using
the OLE DB Provider, but the windows drivers use similar code to make tcpip
session).

My thought on my system is the Provider isn't using the same calls to
resolve the hostname to
the IPv4 address, whereas ISQL is. If I add my IPv4 address to the windows
hosts file (not
lmhosts.sam) THEN my Provider can connect to the ASE, as IPv4 address. I
suspect in my
network we don't have the DNS properly setup for IPv6, in fact there is no
DNS server I have
to resolve host names with, but for some reason the Provider isn't using the
DNS server to
get the IPv4 address. I would like to know if the same happens in your
case.

If you still can't connect with IPv6 I think this needs further
investigation, perhaps via Sybase
tech support case.

-Paul

"Jesse" <goo...@jessehersch.fastmail.fm> wrote in message

Paul Vero [Sybase]

Apr 17, 2009, 1:04:18 PM4/17/09
Hi Jesse,

I did manage to get this to work on my test setup.

I have IPv4 and IPv6 on my vista 32 machine

I had to do the following:

- Use the IPv6 address format - in your case: fe80::fdd4:844e:cffe:2c66%12
- Edit the hosts file in %WINDIR%/system32/drivers/etc/
- If my hostname is vista32vm then I made IPv4 entry for vista32vm and
IPv6 entry for vista32vm.v6
- On ASE in the interfaces/sql.ini I made two master/query entries - one
using vista32vm, port and one using vista32vm.v6, port (use same port)
- Start ASE with the -T7841 flag [also -T7815 flag to check what IP is used
when connection attempt is made]
- Also did ping from command line on the vista32vm.v6 hostname and check to
see its IPv6 format
- Test connect my data source - at this point you should be able to connect

when my connection works, on ASE log I see:

00:00000:00012:2009/04/17 09:52:50.55 kernel Connection from IPv6 client
fe80::88f2:7f38:7c54:4a9c/52936

This is what I have to do if my DNS isn't setup for IPv6.

-Paul

Jesse

Apr 23, 2009, 1:55:21 AM4/23/09
>>the Provider you have is really old - you should look into upgrading to the SDK 15.0 ESD#18 release

where can I get it? Is it available as a download? google search
comes up with nothing useful: http://www.google.com/search?q=SDK+15.0+ESD%2318+download

mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase]

Apr 23, 2009, 4:07:35 AM4/23/09
On Apr 23, 7:55 am, Jesse <goo...@jessehersch.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >>the Provider you have is really old - you should look into upgrading to the SDK 15.0 ESD#18 release
>
> where can I get it?  Is it available as a download?  google search
> comes up with nothing useful:http://www.google.com/search?q=SDK+15.0+ESD%2318+download

The SDK (Software Developer Kit) EBFs are available from the same
place where you get ASE EBFs (Spoort & Services -> EBF/Maintenance) -
you need to select Software Developer Toolkit instead of Adaptive
Server Enterprise in the main screen.

Michael

Jesse

Apr 23, 2009, 1:13:40 PM4/23/09
Thanks for the that Michael - I was able to get to the download area
but I cannot download the SDK as I am not the "technical support
contact". All I want to do is download the SDK. Apparently I cannot
change my "role" to add "techinical support contact" because I do not
have a support contract with Sybase. I cannot afford that - plus I do
not use ASE in my business per se - I am the owner/developer at a
small ISV that builds software that *works* with Sybase ASE (among
other DBMS). I only use ASE for testing to make sure my app works
against it.

I don't understand why I need to shell out for a support contract just
to get the SDK. Doesn't Sybase want to encourage ISVs to write tools
that supplement Sybase products? It appears not...

The app I author is a documentation generator called SqlSpec. It also
supports SQL Anywhere, another Sybase DBMS. Details here: http://www.elsasoft.org

On Apr 23, 1:07 am, "mpepp...@peppler.org [Team Sybase]"

Jesse

May 4, 2009, 12:13:53 AM5/4/09
Just to wrap this up - I was not able to download the latest SDK
directly as I don't have a support contract.

I was able to get a fresher copy of AseClient simply by downloading
the developer SKU of ASE though. I now have 1.15.325.0 and it works
fine without any extra tweaking regarding IPv6.

So thanks all for your help here!

Jesse