Why is OpenAPI front and center on the site when none of the tools support it?

Dan Rumney

Aug 15, 2017, 3:54:51 PM8/15/17
to Swagger
Am I missing something here?

The swagger site pushes v3.0.0 as the de facto standard. It's what you see when you view the "Specification"... you have to dig for v2.

The problem is, nothing in the swagger ecosystem seems to be quite v3 ready. The Open Editor supports it (at least, in terms of validation), but the generated documentation is full
of bugs. SwaggerHub can't handle v3. I get NullPointerExceptions when I try to use the 3.0-SNAPSHOT of swagger-codegen... hell OpenAPI support is only available in a snapshot... there isn't even a reasonably stable download.

So... I ask: am I missing something? Is 3.0.0 ready for the field, or not? If so, where is the tooling? If not, why is it pushed as the specification?

Ron Ratovsky

Aug 15, 2017, 6:05:23 PM8/15/17
to swagger-sw...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dan,

Putting aside semantics, OAS3 is the latest and newest version of the specification. Many users have waited for it, and we want people to be aware of it, educate themselves on it and understand how they could benefit from it.

As to be expected, with any new version of a specification, tooling takes time to catch up. At the moment, we have support for OAS3 in the editor and the UI, with some of Java projects coming out this week.

The codegen, being based on a bunch of other Swagger projects, will take time to pick up the changes, but it’s definitely in the plans.

SwaggerHub never announced support for OAS3 yet, much like most of our OSS tools. SNAPSHOTS, as you know, allow users to test pre-releases which helps US to provide YOU with better final product.

We’re going to be updating on the progress of OAS3 support in our blogs and twitter accounts.

I take the criticism regarding finding the 2.0 specification though – for now we’ve added a simple link to it from the specification page, and we’ll work on making it clearer in the upcoming days.

Oliver B. Fischer

Aug 16, 2017, 5:11:26 AM8/16/17

Am 16.08.17 um 00:05 schrieb Ron Ratovsky:

I take the criticism regarding finding the 2.0 specification though – for now we’ve added a simple link to it from the specification page, and we’ll work on making it clearer in the upcoming days.

This as an ongoing support of OpenAPI 2.0 is IMHO quite important. For example my company uses 2.0 als company wide standard and I don't see us using 3.0 in the next year(s).

Oliver
--
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany

Ron Ratovsky

Aug 16, 2017, 11:30:29 AM8/16/17
to swagger-sw...@googlegroups.com

Of course. Support for 2.0 is going to remain for a while. We’ve been through version transitions a few times in the past and we’re aware of how long these things take.

As an open source project though, our focus is shifting to provide better support for 3.0.

rad1958

Aug 19, 2018, 8:06:25 PM8/19/18
to Swagger
Hi,

As I read the posts from Aug. 2017 in AUg. 2018, merely wanting to know if support for OAS3 has progressed ?

My exploration of this area through swagger.io and related openapi resources could not find a codegen tool that works with OAS3.0 API spec.

Appreciate any answers.