"Confessions of an Economic Hit-man" author in town on Apr 14

BobbyG

Apr 11, 2010, 10:49:38 PM4/11/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin
Michael Wilson, the newly elected Student Gov Assoc. Pres. and also
part of SDS, sends this message about a speaker he's been working on
getting here since last fall.

Here's the Facebook event link for it too
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100150016695119&ref=ts

Looks like a worthwhile program related to economics and
sustainability somewhat...

b.g.

Does America Have an Empire?

Bestselling author and former “economic hit man,” John Perkins, will
be speaking in the UWSP DUC Laird Room at 8 pm April 14th, 2010. The
lecture will be followed by open Q&A and book signing sessions. The
event is free and open to the public.

As the Chief Economist for a consultancy agency, John’s job was to
“convince” leaders in developing countries to accept enormous loans
for infrastructure development—highly inflated loans, much larger than
needed—and to guarantee that the construction projects were contracted
to U.S. corporations like Halliburton and Bechtel. Once these
countries were saddled with huge debts, the U.S. government and the
international aid agencies allied with it, such as the World Bank,
were able to control these economies and to ensure that oil and other
coveted resources were channeled to serve the interests of a very few
investors. This is how corporate globalization and international
financial institutions have built an economic empire. As an EHM, John
traveled all over the world—to Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America,
and the Middle East—and was either a direct participant in or witness
to some of the most dramatic events in modern history, including the
Saudi Arabian Money-laundering Affair, the fall of the Shah of Iran,
the assassination of Panama’s President Omar Torrijos, the subsequent
invasion of Panama, events leading up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq,
and much more. He was at the forefront of the global financial
structure, doing the dirty work of neo-imperialism.

Following the events of September 11, 2001, John dropped the veil of
secrecy around his life as an EHM and wrote Confessions of an Economic
Hit Man. He believed he had a responsibility to share his insider
knowledge about the role the U.S. government, multinational “aid”
organizations, and corporations have played in bringing the world to a
place where such an event could occur. In this book, he describes the
dangerous path his country is taking as it moves away from the
original ideals of the American republic and into a quest for global
empire. He has written books on indigenous responses to corporate
imperialism and the environmental devastation that accompanies it, and
many other subjects.

This is a once in a lifetime lecture that you definitely don’t want to
miss if you’ve ever been curious about economics, politics,
international relations, or the call for a just global order.

If you have any questions or comments, please email Michael Wilson at
mwil...@uwsp.edu.

REMEMBER -- the event is FREE and open to ALL.
BRING ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the
world." --Nelson Mandela

Chris Malek

Apr 12, 2010, 3:41:06 PM4/12/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin
Wow. As Joe Biden would say, "This is a big f..... deal."

I read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man a couple years ago, and it
really opened my eyes to how things really work in the world. John
Perkins was interviewed by Acres USA not long ago, as was Woody
Tasch. I would highly recommend everyone going to this event. It
will be highly relevant and highly interesting.

Chris Malek

On Apr 11, 9:49 pm, BobbyG <landc...@charter.net> wrote:
> Michael Wilson, the newly elected Student Gov Assoc. Pres. and also
> part of SDS, sends this message about a speaker he's been working on
> getting here since last fall.
>

> Here's the Facebook event link for it toohttp://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100150016695119&ref=ts

> mwils...@uwsp.edu.

D Wright Esq & Ann H Wright

Apr 12, 2010, 3:56:39 PM4/12/10
to sustain-cent...@googlegroups.com
Do read "Shock Doctrine" as well they are very tied in and really are a nice
combo platter. Scare the crap right out of you. There is an whole nother
world out there, now ain't there? Keep the home fire burning. D Wright

PS. Carve bigger stone heads now.

> [...]

>> place where such an event could occur. In this book, he describes the
>> dangerous path his country is taking as it moves away from the
>> original ideals of the American republic and into a quest for global
>> empire. He has written books on indigenous responses to corporate
>> imperialism and the environmental devastation that accompanies it, and
>> many other subjects.
>>

>> This is a once in a lifetime lecture that you definitely don�t want to
>> miss if you�ve ever been curious about economics, politics,

>> international relations, or the call for a just global order.
>>
>> If you have any questions or comments, please email Michael Wilson at
>> mwils...@uwsp.edu.
>>
>> REMEMBER -- the event is FREE and open to ALL.
>> BRING ALL YOUR FRIENDS!
>>
>> "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the

450px-Moai_Rano_raraku.jpg

BobbyG

Apr 12, 2010, 11:07:24 PM4/12/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin

On Apr 12, 2:56 pm, "D Wright Esq & Ann H Wright" <dkwri...@wi-

net.com> wrote:
> Do read "Shock Doctrine" as well they are very tied in and really are a nice
> combo platter. Scare the crap right out of you.  There is an whole nother
> world out there, now ain't there?  Keep the home fire burning. D Wright
>
> PS. Carve bigger stone heads now.

After seeing that Collapse movie tonight, I guess you'd say, well yes,
America is/has an Empire, but it is in the early stages of collapsing
(along with the rest of the global economy).

I did like the way Ruppert linked up the end of money with the decline
of fossil energy. That makes the events of Sept 2008 correspond
fairly well with the 3rd oil shock that culminated just a few months
earlier.

R. Buckminster (Bucky) Fuller had that famous saying which Stewart
Brand later wore out, "the flow of energy through a system acts to (or
tends to) organize that system."

You could say the converse, then, goes like: "a retreat in the flow,
or decline in the flow, of energy through a system acts to (or tends
to) dis-organize that system." That would be the phase we seem to
have entered recently, call it the period of increasing entropy.

b.g.

BobbyG

Apr 12, 2010, 11:14:13 PM4/12/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin

> PS. Carve bigger stone heads now.

Oops, one more comment--I'm thinking of a great direction for small-
scale farmers and food processors to go: dehydrated meal-packs for
people with compounds.

Yes, those survivalist compounds they're building out there in Idaho
and Montana and wherever people are hunkering down to wait out the
Collapse, the End-Times, the Omega Point, the Singularity, 12/21/2012,
The Stand, the Apocalypse, the Eurozone Default, whatever it is or may
be you're anticipating that calls for a lot of hunkerin'. If you've
got a compound going, you're going to need a lot of not just rounds of
ammo, but something to eat, and MRE's are pretty lousy so I'm told.

A big selling point would be: no RFID chips in the packaging, so that
Obama can't track your package and figure out the GPS of your compound
and send in the black helicopter crews.

Just sayin'--people gotta eat.

b.g.

Chris Malek

Apr 13, 2010, 12:45:45 PM4/13/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin
Bobby,

Now you are talking like Alex Jones.

Like they say on his network, food is your basic ammunition.

Hunkering down to build a just, local economy,

Chris

Kameshwari Kate

Apr 13, 2010, 2:54:30 PM4/13/10
to sustain-cent...@googlegroups.com
"wherever people are hunkering down to wait out the
Collapse, the End-Times, the Omega Point, the Singularity, 12/21/2012,
The Stand, the Apocalypse, the Eurozone Default,"
Bobby, you mean like Iola, Tigerton, Rosholt, and Bevent dere, hey; doncha'?

BobbyG

Apr 15, 2010, 3:42:23 PM4/15/10

On Apr 13, 1:54 pm, Kameshwari Kate <kateahi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *"wherever people are hunkering down to wait out the*
>
> *Collapse, the End-Times, the Omega Point, the Singularity, 12/21/2012,*
>
> *The Stand, the Apocalypse, the Eurozone Default,"*

> Bobby, you mean like Iola, Tigerton, Rosholt, and Bevent dere, hey; doncha'?

> *
Nah, Kate, 'em are family towns.

You don't see any compounds in those towns. Although some farms may
look like compounds...

What would a realtor's listing for a "compound" have to include?
--"Lovely 40-acre compound abutting private timber lands, includes log
cabin with ammo-reloading room, commercial freezer on dedicated solar
circuit, and root cellar in basement; several underground bunkers
scattered throughout the property; sound-proofed shooting range;
access to light-artillery range on nearby friendlies' 600 acre ranch;
motion detectors on perimeter with remote cameras at all checkpoints;
all ready to move-in and ready for a stand-off!"

bg