One buffer for each account at startup

Pablo O

Jul 1, 2015, 3:51:04 AM7/1/15
to sup...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I got my sup up and running for 2 accounts, work and private.
All mails are shown in the Inbox buffer.
How do I show the mail from only one account?

In Thunderbird I had a sidebar to click on the accounts, I suppose in sup you would have multiple Inbox buffers.
How do I set them up? I't would be nice to have a way to switch quickly from seeing all messages to only account1 to only account2 etc.

Thanks,

Pablo

Ruthard Baudach

Jul 5, 2015, 3:07:28 AM7/5/15
to supmua
Hello Pablo,

Sup has a search and label based approach to accessing mail, not an
account based one. Actually there is no special "Inbox buffer", it's
just a normal buffer presenting the result of the search `label:inbox`.
(Well, granted, it is kind of special as it is built in)

To display all emails of an account, search n the inbox buffer by
pressing `/` for `to:my....@my.isp`.

You can save typing time by autolabeling messages in the
before-add-message hook, searching for `label:work`

Read https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Searching-Your-Mail for
more information on searches, and
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Auto-Add-Labels-To-New-Messages
for autolabeling messages

To speed things further up, there is a possibility to save searches I
don't use and don't know how, and the wiki discribes a quick label
search using `i` that does not work for me, (perhaps I should update
sometimes?)

As far as I know there is no possiblility to open multiple buffers with
different search views on startup. -- Community. correct me if I'm
wrong.

Regards, Ruthard

--

Dr. Ruthard Baudach
Speckertsweg 36a

Emails bitte verschlüsseln und signieren.
Meine PGP-Id: 0xAC5AC6C2
signature.asc

Markus Klinik

Aug 3, 2015, 6:38:01 AM8/3/15
to supmua
Excerpts from Ruthard Baudach's message of 2015-07-05 09:07:20 +0200:
> Hello Pablo,
>
> Sup has a search and label based approach to accessing mail, not an
> account based one. Actually there is no special "Inbox buffer", it's
> just a normal buffer presenting the result of the search `label:inbox`.
> (Well, granted, it is kind of special as it is built in)

Hi,

I thought about this some time ago, here is what I came up with.

> To display all emails of an account, search n the inbox buffer by
> pressing `/` for `to:my....@my.isp`.

This search won't turn up emails where you are in BCC, nor emails sent to
mailing lists this account is subscribed to.

> You can save typing time by autolabeling messages in the
> before-add-message hook, searching for `label:work`

Letting sup label messages and then search for those labels is indeed
what you want. A better way than the before-add-message hook however is
to associate labels with sources. Check the documentation for the
--labels option of sup-add. You may want to auto-archive messages that
are not from your main account. That's what the --archive flag of sup-add
does. Then you can switch between sources by using the label filter
function 'L'.

The downside to this method is that the archived vs read functionality
doesn't work with the auto-archived sources. When you view the mails from
such a source, you always see all of them.

If I understand correctly, Inbox is just a label that sup gives to
incoming mails per default, and the archive key 'a' toggles this label. I
don't have this set up, but it should be possible to combine

- labels for sources
- not auto-archiving them
- and saved searches involving the Inbox label

to mimic multiple inboxes.

This doesn't answer Pablo's original question about having multiple inbox
buffers at startup though, but I think this is as far as you can get
without hacking sup.

Cheers,
Markus